Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle_xuv
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe I am just an idiot, but I have read the owners manual and tried everything that I can think of.

Here is the problem. The tailgate is supposed to be able to be opened in either a "swing" or a "drop" fashion. I can get it to swing open easily, no big deal there, but I cannot get it to drop like a truck tailgate for the life of me.

From what I can tell this proper way to do this SHOULD be:

1. Roll the rear window all the way down.
2. Push the center handle/button.
3. Attach cables.

But all that does is swing it open.

I thought the left handle was to open it in the "swing" fashion, and the center handle was to "drop" it.

Anyone else have this problem or know how I can fix it?

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
5,268 Posts
the only time Ive seen this in action was at an auto show.
neat how it worked both ways.
I was unaware of the cables.... I guess it would be like a pickup truck gate.
I think I remember the handles werent really handles- but an electric switch of some sort that was sensitive to your fingers.
maybe each one has a fuse?

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle_xuv
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the only time Ive seen this in action was at an auto show.
neat how it worked both ways.
I was unaware of the cables.... I guess it would be like a pickup truck gate.
I think I remember the handles werent really handles- but an electric switch of some sort that was sensitive to your fingers.
maybe each one has a fuse?

The cables have clips that hold them to the sides of the tailgate for the normal "swing" function. You are supposed to hook them up like you would on a truck if you are going to use the "down" function.

You are right, the handles are more of a switch. Like I mentioned before, both switches "work", but the center switch (from what I can tell in the Owners Manual) should "drop" the tailgate, but it "swings" it just like the left switch. So I doubt it is a fuse, but I will try and look for a blown one later tonight.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle_xuv
13 Posts
Ben,
There are two different buttons on the tailgate. There is one to the far left when you are facing the tailgate, that swings it open. There is an identical button in the center of the tailgate, that will drop it down like a pickup when the rear window is rolled down. Sometimes the button doesn't trip the actuator to drop the tailgate if you don't depress it in just the right spot or for long enough. Hope this helps, when I first got my XUV it took me a bit to figure out there buttons in two different locations. I would think that both actuators would be on the same circuit but maybe they are not and you have a blown fuse?

Tony

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle_xuv
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help. It did take me a bit to figure it out, but I did realize that there are two buttons. As mentioned above, I know the center is supposed to drop the tailgate and the left is supposed to swing it, but the center just swings it as well (even if I have the window down and everything that you are supposed to do to drop the tailgate). I am going to check fuses this weekend, but I am with you that I think everything would be on the same fuse/setup.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle_xuv
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Damn it... Washed the car this weekend and now the switch to "swing" the door does not work... I really need to get the panel off and tear it apart. I have done searches, but cannot find any information, but I KNOW from reading that I am not the first person with switch problems... Can anyone point me to a place talking about the switch problems/fixes?

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
1 Posts
I had this problem and looked everywhere for info... then I spent about an hour looking over the fuse and relays in the truck couldn’t find a blown fuse...

Took it to the dealer and got it fixed, I believe it was the push button pads that were broken. He said they brake on almost all of the XUVs but once replaced never brake.

I had one go about a month ago then my second one 2 weeks ago

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
4 Posts
Did you ever get this resolved? I am having a similar problem with mine. The tailgate will swing, but won't drop. When I push the center button, it doesn't even make a sound.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle_xuv
30 Posts
Similar Issue

I have the opposite problem. My center switch is the only one that is working right now (drop only). The switch is GM part # 15101543, and quoted my by local stealership as $28.54. I have no idea how hard it is to replace, but probably going to tinker with the "broken" switch this weekend to see if I can't clean it.

Just heard back from the local GM dealership. Quoted me $90-$100 to replace 1 switch (part included)... For $100, I gotta at least tinker with it :p

·
Banned
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
651 Posts
I know this is way to late, but it may help someone in the future...

To the OP..

When this happens, where both switchs only operate the swing option vs the drop option, that means that one of the left catchs is not seeing the tail gate as being closed to operate the drop feature. THe other possibility was that the switch/button for operation was still in its depressed mode after it was released. This can happen mainly in moist/Wet conditions. But has happened because of corrosion as well.

For me with was one of the left catches was bad. Althou now, when moise/wet/raining, my buttons are starting to act funky.

What I found odd about this diagnosis is that the tailgate window was all the up like its supposed to be when closed. The dealer told me that the switch/module was not recieving the signal that it was closed, even thou it was. I didnt question it much as I was under warrenty, and they were paying for it, and when I got it back, it was working. But thats what they told me.

·
Registered
Magnetic Red Metallic Envoy XUV w/SLT trim
80 Posts
What if the endgate won't open either way? I'm looking at (interested in) an XUV that the endgate won't open either way and the glass won't go down. ALSO, I don't know if this affects anything but the midgate window isn't working either. I told the owner to try the overhead console switches instead of the key. He said the midgate motor needs replacing and the window is in the down position now. I told him to try the yellow button too. How would you get the end gate open in any direction?

·
Registered
2 Posts
What if the endgate won't open either way? I'm looking at (interested in) an XUV that the endgate won't open either way and the glass won't go down. ALSO, I don't know if this affects anything but the midgate window isn't working either. I told the owner to try the overhead console switches instead of the key. He said the midgate motor needs replacing and the window is in the down position now. I told him to try the yellow button too. How would you get the end gate open in any direction?
So I had/have the same problem on my 2004 XUV. When I bought it, the tailgate wouldn't go down. I replaced the switch pads and when I touched the left drivers side one, the window would go down a few inches, but nothing would unlock. Then it wouldn't repeat the window mode again. Next I changed out the window actuator relay, a square box like relay that dangles on the bottom left of the inside tailgate. The window went down, and viola, the door opened. Unfortunately, I cannot get it to lock again. Thinking I should have tried the center switch first.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts