Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all ... long time reader, first time poster. So, another XUV roof post. Have read many threads, but haven't seen my exact issue. Please point me in the right direction if I missed.

Issue:
I started to open the rear roof on my 2004 GMC Envoy XUV and then based on the weather, changed my mind after it was just about six inches (6") open. I decided to close it back up, but it was stuck. Wouldn't go in either direction. In the past, I'd stopped and reversed course and had no issue.

Now, my roof is 6" from closing, and of course, my tailgate glass is down, and the tailgate itself will not open. I can keep the elements at bay with the mid-gate glass, but it's fall now (and lifting dogs over the tailgate isn't real practical for long!).

I'm wondering if it could be a fuse (did some homework and trial-and-error and no luck, but doesn't mean that what I did was correct). Disconnected the battery to see if I could trick it. No dice. Or could it be the roof motor? GMC dealership wants $140 to diagnose, but they don't see a lot of XUVs, so that's a crap shoot.

Do any of you good people have practical suggestions for me? Many thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle_xuv
55 Posts
The roof module will set codes, until you get them we can't help you. The dealer has access to resources like the factory shop manual and a tech help line. I would start there.....

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK

Thanks, friend. Off to the GMC dealership in the morning to figure it all out. I'm sure it will cost a paycheck or two.
:)

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle_xuv
55 Posts
Your paying for knowledge.... if you want to do yourself invest in a set of shop manuals.... and I’m not talking a $20 Hayes book. New they run 200ish or cruise Ebay to find a deal. I just got mine today and I can tell you the roof is pretty complex. I’m glad I have them now!

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"Easy" fix

Good advice and will keep in mind for the future. I have 160k on my '04 and hope to have hew a good long time to come.

So, I paid the diag fee at the GMC dealership ($140 - reasonable, as it would be applied to any repairs and if it was nothing, then it's a "cheap" way out). It turned out nothing was wrong except the computer needed to be re-programmed. Wasn't something I could do.

I'd pulled the battery, switched fuses, etc. Was just hoping it wasn't a blown motor. Anyway, re-programmed and working like a charm. Good timing to beat this afternoon's rain!:no:

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Big, Bad Dealer

Hahaha. No, not so bad. But now my tailgate drops only and won't swing. Tougher to load the dogs, but better than the roof issue! I'll take it.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle_xuv
55 Posts
If you think they caused it I would take back and make them fix. If you have never replaced the touch pad it may be your problem. The truck I'm fixing has both pads bad. They are kind of notorious for crapping out from what I have read....

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good to know, thanks. Yeah, the middle one is perfect. The left one worked fine just before leaving the shop/lot, but not since. Can't pin it on them. I'm sure I've worn out the left one loading dogs and supplies over the years.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
62 Posts
Hey Todds, thanks for info on your thread...can you remember if the console overhead switch lights were not lit when problem was happening? Thanks

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Gremlin X,
No, can't say as I recall about the console lights. I think at least one is out now, but my mid-gate and tail-gate glass work and the roof works, so not sure that was my issue.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
12 Posts
Pin outs? Which connector. HOW to manually CLOSE the roof still unanswered.

Sorry but I have not found a way as yet to jump a pin to ground and close my roof. It's 80-90% there but has never moved since I bought it 2 weeks ago.

The endgate glass was stuck in the down position. I only hear action at the power window motor when pressing the DOWN button on overhead console, or turning key in tail gate clockwise. It ignores UP commands.

However, unplugging the harness from the tailgate BCM, jumping pin 3 to ground (open connector clam-shell to see pin out numbers) I see my glass go UP! So it's not the motor.

I am hoping someone can tell me which pin and connector to do the same test for ROOF. I've seen a lot of people posting the same issue but no resolution.

Thursday I took it to the dealership. They wanted $130.00 to hook up their Tech II and override sensors and switches and test out. Instead I was told to pick up the truck and there would be no charge unless I wanted to add another $380.00 to further troubleshoot issue. I took the free choice.

OPEN or CLOSE ROOF on DIC. Only other issue is clock spring needs replacing and so SERVICE AIRBAG and dash light on.

Since the manual clearly states a re-learn requires roof to be in CLOSED position I need to focus on this issue before proceeding.

Any help greatly appreciated! Still not quite ready to take the saws-all to the rear bits and convert it into an Avalanche wannabe in back.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
62 Posts
Thats exactly problem I had. Also the tailgate wont open. A mechanic with a Tech-2 closed roof but hasnt been able to get rear glass/gate to work. i also lost console lighting on 3 buttons. Good luck.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
12 Posts
Took out the 6 Torx screws - roof still cannot be removed

Just a new find. I'm trying to access the roof panel plastics covering roof BCM so I may test pins to ground (still unknown which colors / pin #s) to confirm roof motor.

Rear window goes down via switches but up only via my wire tap to peach? colored (pin 3) to put window up.

Today I spent hours re-threading the regulator cables, re greasing wheel that spools the cables, re installing and it actually works.

However I cannot initiate learn mode as the ROOF remains open. There are TABS that run in the grooves preventing the roof to be completely removed. Nice to manually move to open position though. The rear mounts prevent the roof from dropping fully when pushed to closed position but close enough.

I could put a bit of tape over the rear mounts as roof interior sits on them now, but NOW I can take it through the car wash.

Thank you for replies. Keep ideas for PIN # / Color at roof BCM connector to ground and manually close / open roof.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts