Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle_xuv
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have experience using an aftermarket racket system from Thule or Yakima on their XUV? Officially, neither company supports the XUV with their Envoy-specific product(s), I suspect because of potential clearance issues with the roof system, however I am hoping that someone may have tried one or the other and found that it worked OK. I have the official GMC crossbars for the XUV, but I really would prefer to use a longer, square or round bar system, as used by these aftermarket rack manufacturers, or someone I haven't considered. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle_xuv
6 Posts
XUV Roof rack solution

I bought a Thule rack system and took it to a welder to have the rail (Tower Mount) manufactured out of stainless steel vs. the plasic one provided by the company. Does not look quite as finished but very functional.

Then took 4 pieces of square 5/8" tubing and cut 45deg angles at the ends, tapped screw holes to accept the fabricated mounts and mounting screws for the towers. (the pieces must be long enough to span between the factory screws in the roof channel ; 18" +/- for each.

Cut washers out of a yoga mat (best use) to keep the metal-to-metal to a minimum. Then mouted directly to the factory roof rails. Works like a charm and cost less than $100 CAD.

Easily holds all my roof gear, boat, ski box etc with plenty of clearance for the retractable roof.

·
Registered
2005 buick rainier
1,012 Posts
Does anyone have experience using an aftermarket racket system from Thule or Yakima on their XUV? Officially, neither company supports the XUV with their Envoy-specific product(s), I suspect because of potential clearance issues with the roof system, however I am hoping that someone may have tried one or the other and found that it worked OK. I have the official GMC crossbars for the XUV, but I really would prefer to use a longer, square or round bar system, as used by these aftermarket rack manufacturers, or someone I haven't considered. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Yakima makes "Universal Mighty Mounts" that clamp onto your factory crossbars to make them compatible with any of their products. There are horizontal and vertical, and it has to match the rack (e.g. bike racks use vertical and ski racks use horizontal IIRC).

Of course these wouldn't give you the round/square bars, but it would make your rack compatible with any Yakima roof-mount product.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
341 Posts
the only thing "XUV" about the GMC rack is the height of the feet to make sure roof-opening wont hit the bottom.

So, use your feet and mod away with whatever tubes you want - just make sure you can attach to the feet (which is actually a bit cheesy)

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
155 Posts
I had bought a basket for TECORE at cabellas that fits perfectly. It was a $170 valley basket, and i made custom brackets to hold it up. Im able to slide the roof in and out with no problems. Below are some pics.

Frank

Attachments

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
359 Posts
I just bought a used set of cross bars off ebay for Envoy or TB. They don't fit. Guess I should have checked around here on trailvoy first:duh:

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
359 Posts
I set them up in place and they were about 1/2" too long. But, looking at earlier posts (see arcsound), it seems that the ones made for XUVs are made a bit taller to allow clearance for movement of the roof panel.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
9 Posts
I bought a Thule rack system and took it to a welder to have the rail (Tower Mount) manufactured out of stainless steel vs. the plasic one provided by the company. Does not look quite as finished but very functional.

Then took 4 pieces of square 5/8" tubing and cut 45deg angles at the ends, tapped screw holes to accept the fabricated mounts and mounting screws for the towers. (the pieces must be long enough to span between the factory screws in the roof channel ; 18" +/- for each.

Cut washers out of a yoga mat (best use) to keep the metal-to-metal to a minimum. Then mouted directly to the factory roof rails. Works like a charm and cost less than $100 CAD.

Easily holds all my roof gear, boat, ski box etc with plenty of clearance for the retractable roof.
Wouldn't happen to have any pictures of that would you?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.