Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My MTR's are pretty wore out after about 40k miles, so I am looking at these two. I want something quieter this time, and don't need a true Mud terrain. I do drive in the snow a few months a year. I know some people here have the Duratrac's and seem to like them. I can get a set of either shipped for around $660. Anyone?

Pro Comp Xtreme All Terrain

Goodyear Duratrac

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,236 Posts
The Xtreme ATs are NOT quiet on the highway. They do wear like iron and stick well enough, but they are not my favorite Pro Comp tread pattern. They are akin to the Interco Thornturd (whoops, I meant Thornbird) tires in my estimation.

You might want to check out their Xtreme MT instead. I know you said you didn't need a mud tire, but those are one of the better tread pattern tires going for smaller sized tires these days.

The Goodyears look like a nice tread pattern also, in my mind, better than the Pro Comps. But, with that being said, I'm not a big fan of Goodyear off-road tires, except the MTs in western sharp rock. That's where they perform better than most others. I've never ran the particular Goodyears you posted, and I've never heard them either, so I can't say how they work. Seems like 4-Wheeler Magazine just did a test on them though -- and ranked them sort of low. Surprisingly, the old standby, the BFG MT was almost at the bottom of the pack.

http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/techar..._comp_xtreme_mud_terrain_tire_test/index.html

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
In order of their ranking: BFG MT KM, Maxxis MT 762 Bighorn, Pro Comp Xtreme MT, Interco Truxus MT.

Below was the Goodyear MT/R (new design).

All were 33's and radials, tested on two different vehicles through mud only.

In other tests, the Pro Comp MT Xtremes also worked really well on rock. Hence my choice for an all-around tire.

My kiddo had the Pro Comp Xtreme ATs on his Superduty. They HOWLED like cyotes during a full moon. I never noticed my Pro Comp MTs making that sort of noise.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ltz
12 Posts
Well not really sure what exactly you want in a tire. I have cooper discoverer atr's and i like them alot. Went down to kentucky at the end of april and took the tb through the swamp, i thought they handled well. they kept me from getting stuck even while the frame was draging, mud was a slinging

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Well not really sure what exactly you want in a tire. I have cooper discoverer atr's and i like them alot. Went down to kentucky at the end of april and took the tb through the swamp, i thought they handled well. they kept me from getting stuck even while the frame was draging, mud was a slinging
I'm also running Cooper ATRs on mine. Great all-around tire, especially on snow and slush. I love them for that use, but I'm not so sure what they would really do in Kentucky clay -- especially some of the places we wheel. Not bad for 2-track roads and such, but in the red stuff, I doubt it. Of course, we're a bit more radical than the terrain that most TrailVoys wheel, but that being said, deep in the woods on a clay hillside, it takes Interco Swampers or Boggers to really get cleaned out enough for a good bite.

I ran Pro Comp MTs (note Xtreme) on my 'Sploder in 12.50 x 33s. Did okay, but Swampers were still better. I'm running Swampers on my new build.

Other popular tires like the BFG ATs or MTs, Pro Comp Xterrains, Thompson Claws, or Goodyear MTs, for instance really don't cut it in many areas we wheel. They just become big balls of clay.

Here are a couple pics of what we experience...

Creek bottom:

Close up of front tire -- barely cleaned out (and there was a LOT of spinning going on here):

Here is what we commonly find in the woods -- and tires make or break the run. In this case, a friend couldn't clean his tires and slid into the washout:

My kiddo's XJ running TSLs.

Rear view of the friend with boggers. Even they weren't cleaned out here -- not enough wheel speed on this obstacle.

As you can see, tires are critical, and which tire one runs depends a LOT on the area where you are running.

Western rock -- run tight tread patterns and tough compounds -- Goodyear MTRs shine! :woot:

Eastern **** -- run open tread and some wheel speed -- This is Swamper country :hail:

Southern mud -- run tractor tires and scuba gear... Pray you make the end before you fill the cab! :duh:

Sand -- run straight line tread without side-biters. AT country. :thumbsup:

Here in Kentucky, we have mud, sand, water, ****, and rock all rolled into one trail, as does many other parts of the country, but each is peculiar and requires specialty tires. Do some research for where you wheel and proceed accordingly. Just don't try driving Swampers or Boggers on the street! :suicide:

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Awesome pics!!

I am surprised the Xtreme At's howled on the highway. I will check out the Cooper's some more, thanks.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
330 Posts
I was also thinking about the duratrac. I havent heard much from those who have them... I also am wondering what kind of treadwear they have. I am hoping somewhere around 40k

1 - 10 of 10 Posts