Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey guys my first post here...
You can put XM into any car, truck, house or boom box if you want to. All you got to do is get the MyFi From Delphi. It has an FM modulator so all you go to do is dial to an empty radio station. Picked mine up at Best Buy and i put it in my work van, LTZ and my house.
Say good bye to the commercials FOREVER!!!!

·
Premium Member
2008 chevy trailblazer_ss_3ss
3,019 Posts
I thought about doing that too. How is the sound quality using that setup?

I just noticed your in Philly too... where about? And Welcome to the site.

Thanks,

·
Registered
95 Posts
Yeah, but the only problem with FM modulating the XM radio or even an MP3 player is that each time you want to change the station or song, etc., you have to reach over and fumble around with the device. At least with the GM Direct you will be able to leave the radio in the glove box and control it thru the stereo/steering wheel controls... but that's just my perspective on it.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Don't you also lose the digital quality with the FM modulator? That's kind of the best part of XM - the quality of the sound.

·
Banned
1,590 Posts
XTREEME said:
Don't you also lose the digital quality with the FM modulator? That's kind of the best part of XM - the quality of the sound.
You will hardly notice a difference unless you have REALLY sensitive ears (I've been a musician all my life, have perfect pitch, and was ear-trained for nearly 10 years on sound quality/etc. -- and I don't see that much difference). Frankly, aside from the fact that on an '02 its near IMPOSSIBLE to add XM to the factory HU, I'm more happy with my aftermarket setup. Then again, I don't have steering wheel controls in the first place.

·
Banned
1,590 Posts
one more for good measure (sorry to pic-whore)

That's after the shifter swap, and I velcroed the remote control to the trim panel beside the radio.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Charlie, regarding the sound quality, what are you comparing it to?

I'm thinking the easiest way would be to sit in a TB/E with the factory system, and then sit in yours side by side?

I must say, I am surprised it would even be close.

·
Banned
1,590 Posts
XTREEME said:
Charlie, regarding the sound quality, what are you comparing it to?

I'm thinking the easiest way would be to sit in a TB/E with the factory system, and then sit in yours side by side?

I must say, I am surprised it would even be close.
I'm actually comparing between the FM Modulator and the Cassette Adapter with the SkyFi 2 kit. I've tried both in my truck and there's no difference in sound as far as my ears can tell. The only other TB I've been in with the factory XM had the Bose as well, which of course sounded better than my non-bose. I chalked that up to the speakers, not the XM unit itself.

I've also done a direct-wire versus FM Modulator test using my home kit for the SkyFi2. Plugging into the RCA inputs on my Sony 5.1 Surround Reciever sounds no different than the FM Modulator on the same setup. ;)

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
528 Posts
How do you know if your radio is xm ready

I just joined up, i have been reading this page for a few days now and have become addicted, well i just purchased a new TB and didnt get the xm option dont know why well anyway how do you know if your radio is xm ready so that i can buy the adapter from gm, i saw them on ebay for 349, any ideas???

·
Banned
1,590 Posts
sallen said:
I just joined up, i have been reading this page for a few days now and have become addicted, well i just purchased a new TB and didnt get the xm option dont know why well anyway how do you know if your radio is xm ready so that i can buy the adapter from gm, i saw them on ebay for 349, any ideas???
head over to xmfan.com -- there's lots of info there. Basically though, all you have to do is look at your head unit. The button which you use to select "AM/FM or CD/CASS." will be the indicator. If yours says "AM/FM" you aren't XM ready. If it says "BAND" you are most likely XM ready. If your truck is an '02, there is no way that it's XM ready, since no 02s have the band button. '03+ may have the BAND button, but some early 03s may not.

·
Registered
528 Posts
xm radio

My Tb is a 2005, on the buttons it has band/cd/aux, so it might be xm ready when i purchased the truck 2 months ago didnt think to get the package with xm
Shay

·
Banned
1,590 Posts
sallen said:
My Tb is a 2005, on the buttons it has band/cd/aux, so it might be xm ready when i purchased the truck 2 months ago didnt think to get the package with xm
Shay
Oh.... duh I should've looked at your signature in the first place!! Yes, it is XM ready. All 2005's are. As long as you don't have the Bose system, it looks to me like that kit will work. Appears to have the antenna, XM Direct box, etc. all included, so you should be in good shape.

Again, though, I'd go over to xmfan.com and poke around.... from what I've seen and heard there are other possible solutions as well.

·
Registered
528 Posts
xm radio

Thanks for the help, a little pricy for the mod, right now i have a roady mounted just like envoysle guy has but the quality of the fm modulator is horrible and i find myself not using the xm as much as i would if it was a better sound i just purchased my truck my very first new car and first suv, wish i woulda gotten more upgrades when i baught the car went the cheep route :undecided tho i am loving the truck so much, the only thing that worries me is that the oil change light still hasnt come on and i have 6,500 miles on it the dealer told me to wait until it came on and that the truck was deliverd with synthetic still makes me kinda nervous always been used to changing at 3k, well this site is awsome and i look forward to many more posts,

shay

·
Banned
1,590 Posts
sallen said:
the only thing that worries me is that the oil change light still hasnt come on and i have 6,500 miles on it the dealer told me to wait until it came on and that the truck was deliverd with synthetic
Frankly I would demand to know exactly what oil was put in. If this is the factory fill, you are not running synthetic oil; it would only be synthetic if the dealer changed it for you. The only vehicles that come with synthetic from the GM factory are vettes, some cadillacs, and the GTO. (Anything with an LS1/2/7 motor.)

Even so, it's a brand new truck so you probably should change out the oil. Factory fill, or any oil, for the first thousand or two miles will pick up alot more metal shavings and particulate matter than a broken in truck, simply because they are left over from metal fab production.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,311 Posts
sallen said:
the only thing that worries me is that the oil change light still hasnt come on and i have 6,500 miles on it the dealer told me to wait until it came on and that the truck was deliverd with synthetic still makes me kinda nervous always been used to changing at 3k, well this site is awsome and i look forward to many more posts,

shay
Change the oil out! my light didnt come on until 12,000 miles but i had changed it a few times before it even came on.. stick with the 3/3000 for reg oil and a little longer with syn oil.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I got my new 05 at the end of feb and supposedly it came with valveline 5w-30 synthetic from the dealer, but I changed out the oil today at 3775 miles and it was blacker than black, which is to be expected during the break in time. The oil light hadn't come on and my DIC said that my oil still had a 65% life expectancy left. So, I would definately change out your oil! Besides, it ain't gonna hurt it to do it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts