Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2005 olds bravada
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I was helping my nephew on his Envoy and thought what a great looking vehicle it is. It's roomy inside and not so high that you need a step ladder to get into.

My question is this? I have a 73 year old Mom who has bad knees (at 73 something has got to be bad, RIGHT?) She needs a newer vehicle to replace her 97 Astro Van with almost 200,000 miles on it.

Because I am the one who is the 24 hour a day service center for her, I was wondering from everyone out there what you would suggest. Like what year is better that another? Or what factory options have you seen that create headaches? I know the air ride on the back is out (I'm working on replacing those with springs now (if I can find springs?)

But my question is what would you buy for your Mom?

Thanks, sportute man (Bob)

·
Registered
2005 olds bravada
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very good question? ...... my mom is the one who actually made me buy one after she got hers.... so yes i would buy her one!
EK

Being that your Mom got one, is her age near my Mom's age (73)? The reason I ask is because if so is she able to get in and out of the vehicle Ok?

I know from reading about the Trailblazer and Envoy that owners rave about them for the most part. And the size is such that it has more room inside for people to be comfortable.

You and your Mom own them, is there anything you could say option wise you really don't need that yours came with? Or any option that you might say is something that is a definite plus?

I know mechanically this is a different animal than what I'm used to, the 4.2 straight six is mainly what I'm talking about. But when I was younger that is all I ever had to work on were straight six engines, and they were great engines with lots of torque.

I appreciate you letting me know about your Mom and how happy she was about hers. Believe me, this is a hard thing to do with her because she has been so used to driving some kind of van for the past forty some years. I honestly think she'd love the ride and style, all I need to do is give her some reasons.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_denali
9,405 Posts
I think your mom would be better off with something like the Equinox. Can get AWD if you need it. Better gas mileage, easier to park.

I am assuming she will be using it for mainly a grocery getter and some visits to or with friends. For that she doesn't really need a full frame truck that gets questionable fuel economy.

Just my thoughts on what info you have provided.

·
Registered
2005 olds bravada
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think your mom would be better off with something like the Equinox. Can get AWD if you need it. Better gas mileage, easier to park.

I am assuming she will be using it for mainly a grocery getter and some visits to or with friends. For that she doesn't really need a full frame truck that gets questionable fuel economy.

Just my thoughts on what info you have provided.
I would agree with you 100% but she has driven these heavy vehicles for over 40 years. I have asked her about something smaller and a tad lower to the ground? She wants no part of that.

As parking goes, she can whip a full size G10 Van into a parking space like it's nothing. She has just been doing it for so many years, it's like second nature to her.

But also the TB and Envoy are about as low as she wants to go because she likes sitting up higher so she can see traffic. Unfortunately there are only a few vehicles out there that meet her demands.

She runs to and from the Swinging Singles Home (Senior Center), Bingo, out to dinner with her friends and a few other places. That and she has a small business on the side, so she needs the room for that.

She does complain about gas, but she is happy getting 17 mpg. And most importantly, she is paying her own freight. So I do have to help her get what she wants. Plus the fact I'm tired of removing the engine compartment on those damn vans. Gimmie something with a real hood.

But thanks for your ideas.

·
Registered
2005 olds bravada
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Has your mom driven one? If she likes it, get it. Just make sure she's happy.

You mentioned she like her van, what about finding the last model year Astro/Safari?
She loves that Astro, but every van we've seen is either a work van or a van that has in excess of 100,000 miles. I would like her to get something different mostly because of the engine compartment that needs to be removed when I need to get in there to do any work.

At 53 and seven back surgeries it gets harder and harder to bend over to work on the engines and remove that cover on any of the vans (I recently sold my Conversion Van for that reason). I guess you can understand why I'd love to see her get something with a hood.

I can say the family has been a Chevy/GMC fan for as long as I can remember, so it will definitely be one or the other. They have always been great vehicles, so I won't buy anything else. She won't either.

·
Registered
2004 isuzu ascender
47 Posts
I can say the family has been a Chevy/GMC fan for as long as I can remember, so it will definitely be one or the other. They have always been great vehicles, so I won't buy anything else. She won't either.
What are your/her thoughts on something like the Uplander? They're definitely not as high as those astros, but more of the van feel - and its just a hood popper, nothing like the astro.
I got my Envoy after my mother got hers (she's turning 60) and drove it around. I liked the feel of it and decided t follow suit. She had the swb though, definitely notice a change in the turning radius lol.

·
Registered
2008 gmc envoy_slt
101 Posts
But also the TB and Envoy are about as low as she wants to go because she likes sitting up higher so she can see traffic. Unfortunately there are only a few vehicles out there that meet her demands.

She does complain about gas, but she is happy getting 17 MPG

I'm about 20 years younger than your mom but this was
exactly my reason for buying this type of vehicle, plus the need for 4WD occasionally......I suggest running boards to ease entry/exiting! Great ride all around:yes:

·
Premium Member
2007 chevy trailblazer_ss_1ss
1,864 Posts
I would say it would be a good vehicle for her, but make sure it has running boards and it will be much easier for her to get in. Getting out is no problem because she'll be stepping down, not trying to climb up like if she were in a car. My grandma likes my uncle's truck (08 Silverado) for just that reason.

·
Southeast Chapter
2004 buick rainier
5,831 Posts
I suggest running boards to ease entry/exiting! Great ride all around:yes:
I would say it would be a good vehicle for her, but make sure it has running boards
:iagree: make sure you get the running boards for her and she will be very happy:yes:

I'd get her a Buick Rainier, since she fits the Buick type. The AWD would be nice in the winter.
please explain the "Buick type" because i am 25 and love my Rainier; and there are other people here under 90 that love their Rainier:yes:

·
Registered
2005 olds bravada
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's funny you ask about if she complains about 17 mpg? Actually she knows that in order for her to drive what she wants, she accepts the fact gas mileage at 17 0r 18 mpg is going to be something she has to live with.

You must remember, she is an old school kind of Mom. She has to have something heavy, she feels safer in it. She accepts the lower mpg. And she absolutely has to sit high so she can see. And she has been a Chevy person for over 50 years (I said over 40 before, but it's actually over 50)

To me a TrailVoy is almost perfect in so many ways for her. She is a little bigger than most women (not fat per say, but big like a linebacker in a woman sort of way. If that makes any sense?) Her knees are messed up and need replacing. So she needs a vehicle she can put her walker in the back of, and can get in and out easier not climbing up and into a big full size van (which she won't drive anymore, they are too big)

I don't want to put her info out there, but I need you all to understand what I'm up against when I suggest something to replace her Astro window van. But so far I have seen some great suggestions, so thanks!

·
Registered
2005 olds bravada
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
:iagree: make sure you get the running boards for her and she will be very happy:yes:

please explain the "Buick type" because i am 25 and love my Rainier; and there are other people here under 90 that love their Rainier:yes:
Funny you all should suggest running boards. I installed a set on her Astro Van when she first got it as a Birthday present. When I first put them on she said she'd most likely never use them, but it's nice just in case.

Now she has said the same thing as you have suggested, she has to have running boards. She now says she can't live without them.

Thanks!

·
Banned
2007 chevy
4,722 Posts
Maybe you should get her a SS :undecided

But realisticly, Both TB's and Voy's have their good and bad. It just depends what she likes. Maybe take her to some a Chevy and a GMC dealerships one of these days.

·
Registered
2005 olds bravada
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah, getting her to do anything but go to the Sr Center so she can sit and chat with her friends and eat Lunch with them, or go to play Bingo is almost as hard as having a blind Chicken catch a worm.

One day when she breaks down (not likely, but it has happened twice) or the AC going out in her Van (which is very likely), this is when she'll start in on me again about shopping for a newer vehicle and having her Astro Van as a back-up.:bonk:
I hope sometime soon she'll say she's ready to finally finish this??? Then I can take all of these suggestions everyone has given me and put them to good use.

Thanks again for the ideas.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.