Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a worn Bushing in my Control Arm on the Driver's Front -- 2003 Trailblazer 4x4 LT SWB

First, is it safe to drive if you know it's worn out? I tried to tighten it, but the bolt was tight. I need to know if I can replace just the Bushing with simple tools, or if I need a press to do that. Is it worth it to buy a whole Control Arm with Bushings already installed? If so, would a Raybestos be better than OEM? Just replacing the Bushings would save a lot of money for me and allow for other repairs. If I go ahead and replace either, is there anything else I should replace while it's apart? The wheel will move enough for you to follow where the worn Bushing is. 1/16th" of Play maybe.

Items I am replacing while apart...

1. Shocks with Bilstein HD...heard they are better than Monroe. What P/N do I need if I am planning on Lifting with BDS in the next year?

2. Rear Springs to Tahoe z71...95% Paved ROAD, but I don't want it to Bottom out in the whoopty woops. Which year do I buy? I know about the Police take offs, but had a prob with Ebay. Do I need to buy longer shocks to allow for the Tahoe Springs and BDS or other spacers?
  3. Probably front Brakes...right front suspect (noisey, but not sure yet of problem).

4. Lower Control Arms...Whole Unit...might as well right?

5. Upper Control Arms OR Just the Bushing if it's worth it.

Getting all parts from RockAuto.com but Shocks from ShockwareHouse.com

Anyway...to much to do, so Little time. :undecided

Thanks for your help and keep Wrenching.

-Jered
Dillyo82

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Any one know if I need the Control Arm Bracket as well as the control arm if the Bushings are worn? Are bushings that hard to replace with simple tools/ loan-a-tools?

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
198 Posts
on the lower - the bushings are in the support bracket
I personally have not tried to replace the bushing in them as they have only recently become available, even so they would have to be pressed in and out and it is more cost effective to just replace the support bracket
you can get the lower control arm as an assembly that has the bracket, replacing the whole thing your self will be cheaper than getting it done at the shop and it will have a new ball joint, a new bushing for where the shock attaches to the arm, and new control arm bushings.

pretty much the same story with the uppers - just replace the arm.
for the front shocks just stick to the bilstein hd's that come up at a site like shockwarehouse - the lift kits work in two parts, an inside spacer that pre-loads the spring making it stiffer; and the outside spacer that adds some extra length to the assembly

for the rear, if adding the z71 springs, you might want some stiffer shocks than the HD's - the Bilstein 5125's would be better you can check that out on offroadtb

http://forums.offroadtb.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3438

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good to know. 5125 shocks might be the way to go, but will it be OK if I buy the Longer shocks for the Tahoe springs and 1.5in spacer in the future, but ride with them at stock height for a year? Will they be too long? 255/70 sounds hard. I can't find the Valving numbers on the HDs to compare.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Replacing the upper control arm bushings is easy. You can use loan-a-tools to do it. I just replaced my upper control arm bushings and just used a hammer, a screwdriver, and a piece of metal pipe to remove and install the bushings from the control arm. You also need a helper to help you hold the control arm while you hammer out the bushings.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
113 Posts
Replacing the upper control arm bushings is easy. You can use loan-a-tools to do it. I just replaced my upper control arm bushings and just used a hammer, a screwdriver, and a piece of metal pipe to remove and install the bushings from the control arm. You also need a helper to help you hold the control arm while you hammer out the bushings.
Where did you get the parts? If you have the parts #'s that would help also
Thx a 1,000,000

·
Registered
8 Posts
UCA Bushings

Where did you get the parts? If you have the parts #'s that would help also
Thx a 1,000,000
I got my upper control arm bushings from Advance Auto Parts, but you can also get them from rockauto.com. They come in pairs (enough for one side of the car) and cost 21.99 at advance auto parts, possibly a little less on rockauto. The part number is K200269 and are made by Moog.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts