Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
...after just reading about the Saab 9-7x Aero for 2008 (aka Saab's TBSS clone) I have to offer this up for consideration -

- I bought a 2005 Saab 9-2x Aero (5sp manual) for my wife last year. What the Hey is a Saab 9-2x ?? well, in an even stranger twist of logic than the 9-7x, Saab/GM was also "sleeping" with Subaru at the time and while in bed decided Saab needed a 4-door compact hatchback in their lineup to compete with other Euro-offerings so they tapped Subaru and "borrowed" the Impreza wagon and called it the 9-2x. Linears were normally aspirated but Aero's (Saab's performance name) got all of the WRX Turbo/intercooled goodies PLUS some of the STi's handling/suspension sprinkled on top as well. This love triangle lasted exactly 2 years (2005-2006) before they cancelled it. Its actually a very nice car and a blast to drive ... but

* Saab looks at it as the bastard stepchild. Dealer Service Dept's are clueless on servicing it properly. I've resorted to the local Subaru dealer because it basically IS a Subaru. I can guarantee the service experience to be the same with the 9-7x Aero. Think a Saab dealer is going to know how to tune an LS2 ....fix the 4L70e when it grenades ... or the Posi rear end ?? HAHAhahahahaha

* Replacement body panels are basically non-existant "in stock". Anyone on the Saab 9-2x board that has had any body damage has waited weeks if not months for replacement panels. Im sure with the limited #'s of 9-7x's produced to date (~8,000) the same will be true for this vehicle as well

* Depriciation - Well, lets just say my wife will be driving it for quite a few years. WRX's of the same year that are not finished as "nice" as the Saab nor have the STi goodies resale for more.

I just wanted to give my opinion being a Saabaru crossbreed owner

·
Registered
2006 chevy
538 Posts
I would think your concerns about dealer service for Saab branded GMT360s would be accurate, based on my bastard stepchild experience.

When I brought my beloved 1990 Ford Probe GT (which was in fact mostly Mazda MX6) to any Ford dealer for engine service, it would almost certainly be towed to the local Mazda dealer for repair, and brought back to Ford for me to pickup. But Mazda dealers couldn't take it directly for warranty repairs (unless I wanted to pay).

Parts that were special to the Probe GT (not shared with the Mazda) were like freaking unobtanium - hard to identify using Ford parts lookup and even harder to get. I loved that car, and always had a good Mazda experiences prior to it (and since), but the frustration of owning a bastard stepchild...ugh.

Thing is - I LIKE the looks of the 9-7X Aero...deeply discounted (which I'm sure it will be), I might have bought it instead of my TBSS...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts