Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well. heres a quick rundown of what happened.
went to walmart to get some new stuff for my new job. came back out and tried to start my 05 TB, and nothing happened. no lights came on in the dash like it normally does, nothing eletrical worked (i.e. windows, keyless entry, etc.), and i couldnt take my key out of the ignition.
i called my brother who also has a TB (stevetb03) and he said it was probably an issue with my ignition switch. after much tinkering around, and calling up a friend of his, my bro determined that it might have been something wrong with a switch or something that tells the TB if its in park or reverse. he said that theres some way i can tinker around with that switch and make it all gravy again.

first things first. what the hell is this switch or whatever it is, what is it called, what does it do, how do i fix it, and what can i do to make sure it doesnt happen again?

any info would be a tremendous help.

·
Registered
2009 chevy
6,431 Posts
Well, it sounds like the ignition switch.

But, is it the battery........... you didn't say the battery had life.
Will the headlights work.

If the battery is good, the ignition switch is mounted on the steering column, near the base.

We have dozens of threads on the little bugger, try searching for more info

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no. cant be the battery. nothing works. not even the headlights or the keyless. nothing. its like it died. :( sad. but what is that thing my brother was talking about? the setting or whatever it is he said i can change to make my TB realize that its in park and not reverse or anything else.

·
Banned
chevy
12,260 Posts
no. cant be the battery. nothing works. not even the headlights or the keyless. nothing. its like it died. :( sad. but what is that thing my brother was talking about? the setting or whatever it is he said i can change to make my TB realize that its in park and not reverse or anything else.
Never heard of that. Either way, if the neutral safety switch were bad, the power would still be working. I think I would double check the battery connections. Could also be the ignition switch.

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
314 Posts
Try Search Again

Try seaching again ,select posts ,then type ignition switch ,.Okay check out the second post issue seems alot like yours .Anyhow you also could check out your FUSE 47 {IGN 0} .Hope this could be some help. Springbuck:coffee

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
If the lights won't even light, there is either a broken/disconnected wire. Or he drove to the store with no alternator. Usually a battery has enough juice to at least light the interior lights.:m2:

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
41 Posts
Same issue!

I just replaced the battery on my 04 TB. When I went to start my car right after changing it, it wouldn't turn over. And the key was stuck in the ignition. They gave me a jump, and the car went on. I turned it off ok. Then I went to turn it on again, and it was the same issue. Same procedure as before, and it was ok. The next few days it was fine, but now the voltage meter on the dash goes from the middle "14" tally to the quarter-way tally (halfway between 9 and 14). Lately (today), it's been getting as low to almost 9, at which point my AC goes off. I'm going to take it in to Chevy on Thursday to get it looked at because that's my next day off of work.

Also, just because it might be relevant, I bought the car used in Sept of last year with about 59k miles on it. I've since added about 4k miles to it. It has, in that time frame, shut off on me at red lights about four times. It happened once right after I bought, a few months after that, few weeks after that, and then like two months ago. It's really lame when it goes off just as the light goes from red to green.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
quick update.

i fixed it. it turned out to be the battery terminals.
a while back i tried to install my own fog lights and i had to wire them into my negative battery terminal for them to work. i had a couple issues with the bulbs so i decided to take them off and during the process, a bunch of copper wires were still stuck between the battery terminal and the connector. the copper was shorting my entire electrical system. i cleaned the terminal and the connector really good, and its been running like a chevy ever since. :)
thanks for all your guys help.

i forgot to post a new pic of my truck after i got the tint done.
5% all the way around. tell me what you guys think.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts