Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, my TB just died the other day. When I try to start it, it refuses to turn over. It sounds like something start to spin and just stops. The weird thing is the RPM needle. It jumps up and down constantly, even when the truck is just in the on position. I disconnected the negative and cleaned the throttle body this afternoon, but still no luck. Has anyone heard of something like this before? Could it be the starter? I've had this problem before - a couple weeks ago, I had a slight "bump" with a stone pillar and the TB would not start. I got a jump from a tow truck and it still wouldn't start. After about 10 minutes or so, it started up. I drove it to the mechanic and he tried it a couple times. It would start 80% of the time he tried it. Then when I drove it home, the next day it seemed to have no problem. Now it's about two weeks later and it seems as if it has succumbed to whatever it was suffering from weeks ago. Any advice?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Have the battery checked. The "bump" may have broke something in the battery. A badly damaged battery won't take a jump. The best way to test is exchange the battery for another one and try it.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,708 Posts
Did the mech have anything to say about it not wanting to start 20% of the time? Does, or is there, 12.5v at the starter when it will not start or turn over? Does the dome light dim, when you hit the starter, when it will not start?

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,203 Posts
Next time it will not start, try hitting the starter with a rubber or plastic mallet. If it then starts, there's a good chance it is the starter. Haven't heard of starter issues with the 4.2, however in the past, I've seen GM and Ford models where the starter mechanism would sort of jam when hot. Let it cool or give it sharp hit with a mallet/hammer/etc and it would start right up.

Other possible thought is the ignition switch itself, they HAVE been a known issue from time to time in our trucks. Symptoms range from not cranking periodically to having the electronics go ape at time.

That would be the two things I'd start off checking, giving the symptoms you described. The fact that it wouldn't jump start and then started on its own after sitting, sort of points to the starter in my book......If I read your description correctly.

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
314 Posts
No RPMs

How old is the battery.If its possible take to a auto parts store with battery tester/charger.This will confirm the how much cold starting amp's it has /plus voltage . Pretty good chance if is recharges that will take a hour.Anyhow I'd have the generater/alternator checked out .Be safe.Springbuck:m2:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Next time it will not start, try hitting the starter with a rubber or plastic mallet. If it then starts, there's a good chance it is the starter. Haven't heard of starter issues with the 4.2, however in the past, I've seen GM and Ford models where the starter mechanism would sort of jam when hot. Let it cool or give it sharp hit with a mallet/hammer/etc and it would start right up.

Other possible thought is the ignition switch itself, they HAVE been a known issue from time to time in our trucks. Symptoms range from not cranking periodically to having the electronics go ape at time.

That would be the two things I'd start off checking, giving the symptoms you described. The fact that it wouldn't jump start and then started on its own after sitting, sort of points to the starter in my book......If I read your description correctly.
newb question, but - where's the starter?

·
Registered
137 Posts
I don't know if you can get to the starter to hit it. It should be on the passenger side of the engine at the front of the bell housing with an exhaust pipe running under it. I think you have to drop the pipe to remove the starter. You have to get under the truck to get to all of that. It's better to have a bad battery.;)

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
Starter is on the drivers side. About half way down the engine. I would also go with the Ignition switch. When you turn the key to the ACC or ON position, without starting the engine, many times the needles will jump from the slight electrical pulse. If yours keeps jumping it could be a switch going bad.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Starter is on the drivers side. About half way down the engine. I would also go with the Ignition switch. When you turn the key to the ACC or ON position, without starting the engine, many times the needles will jump from the slight electrical pulse. If yours keeps jumping it could be a switch going bad.
:crazy: Well, something else they've moved. I couldn't find anything that said where and they've always been on the passenger side so took a shot.:bonk: The only difference is what side you have to crawl under.:ugh:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ignition Switch

I'm going to try installing the ignition switch right now. Wish me luck!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It works! I'd have to say the hardest part was actually getting the bottom steering column cover off...a small plastic piece broke off somewhere but it doesn't seem to affect anything. When I was pulling off the old switch the teeth moved as little under my finger so I tried to move it back to the right place. I tried putting the switch in without aligning it and it didn't start, in fact the key stayed in the on position. I pulled it and after moving the gear around on the old switch I guesstimated where it should be on the new one, and I guess I guessed correctly.Unfortunately now the Change Engine Oil light is on, even though I've had the oil changed twice in the past three months (the second one was inadvertent). I'm assuming after a couple starts that will clear up, right?

P.S. - thanks everyone, I'm starting to get the hang of working on this beast!

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
3 Posts
erratic electrical, won't start

Thanks for all of the posts on this condition. My 2004 Trailblazer had similar problems-erratic rpm needle, erratic speedometer, transmission shifter locked, fuel pump wouldn't run. I replaced the starter/ignition switch and it now works fine. What a wonderful community here on Trailvoy!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts