Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Here's a challenge for you, as I am puzzled as to what to do. This morning, my 2003 I6 Trailblazer would not start. Wouldn't even turn over. When I turned the key, I just got a click and nothing. I just replaced the battery about 2 months ago, and all the lights/radio/instrument panel/etc come on just fine. They key fob works to lock and unlock the doors. Nothing indicates that the battery is bad. I cleaned the battery terminals, and the connections to the battery are tight.

I drove my other car to work, and when I came home for lunch, I decided to give it another try. First three turn keys... same thing (click and nothing, did not even turn over). On the fourth key turn, it started right up. When it wasn't starting, I opened the hood and fuse box cover, and I hear the relay clicking. Once it was started, I could start it right up several times in a row. If I let it sit for 2-3 minutes, back to nothing.

Not sure what to do here. I don't want to replace anything until I know what exactly is bad. I don't want to drive it and get stranded. I don't want to take it to a dealer if it's starting right up... just for him/her to tell me nothing is wrong. It could be anything... some loose connection somewhere, a bad solenoid, bad starter, bad PCM, bad ignition switch, etc.

By the way... here are a few things that I will disclose. I do not think these are related to the problem, but I will mention them in case I'm wrong:
1). Today was the coldest day we've had in awhile (about 30 degrees).
2). I've noticed lately that when I start it on a cold day, there is a loud whine from the engine. When I pop the hood, it sounds like it's a noisy pulley on the serpentine belt. The noise goes away in a couple minutes.
3). Just in the last 6 months, it has acted like it wants to stall occasionally when I go from a stop or when I shift from reverse to drive. It actually stalled on my twice, but started right up again. Replaced the spark plugs, spark plug boots, and serviced the ignition (standard tune-up), but has not helped. I also cleaned the throttle body, which did nothing.

ANY SUGGESTIONS? Anyone ever experience this? Between all the problems I've had with this Trailblazer, and all the problems I've had with my Pontiac Solstice (less than 20k miles), I'm starting to give up my life-long faith and dedication to GM. :(

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
3,250 Posts
No guarantee that this is the answer, but try replacing the ignition switch....they are a known problem area on these vehicles. They're not that expensive, and I think there's a sticky on here that shows how to do it....try a search.

·
Banned
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
2,762 Posts
No guarantee that this is the answer, but try replacing the ignition switch....they are a known problem area on these vehicles. They're not that expensive, and I think there's a sticky on here that shows how to do it....try a search.
I agree with the ign. switch.The next is a bad ground and/or cable then the starter solenoid.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Since I hear the vehicle trying to do something (relay clicks, radio pauses, etc), doesn't that rule out the ignition switch? If the ignition switch was bad, wouldn't it just not respond to the key turn at all?

Tonight we had trouble getting it started again (tried for a good 15 minutes, at least two dozen times). As soon as I tapped the starter with a broomstick, it started right up, which is making me lean that direction.

While I had it running, I drove it to the Chevy dealership and parked it in their lot. I plan to go talk to them tomorrow... hopefully they can figure it out. They have been really reasonable with me in the past... they typically don't charge anything to diagnose, if you get it fixed there. I'll let you all know!

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
43 Posts
This is happening to me rite now too. Just like your first post, I try'ed the ignition switch but it seems like it only made it worse since it doesnt even clik now. I followed the how to directions with no luck. The other thing mine does is it seems like it makes the electrical cut off as soon as I try to turn it on. So I got my battery tested and it works fine. I cleaned battery and terminals to make sure the acid or rust dont affect it. By the way the battery is a couple months old, its a red top optima. The alternator is also only a couple weeks old. Hope its nothing to expensive. So goodluck with yours what ever helps post here please.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
71 Posts
Starter selonoid mounted on the starter is bad. Has a big copper disk that is pushed against two copper contacts when the starter relay applies power to it causing an electromagnet to energize. Supposedly the starter is not rebuildable but never having had one off, can't say for sure.

Tapping the starter selonoid with a "broom" and it working is a good way to ensure that it is bad and the correct part to change.

If ignition switch was bad, the starter relay in the fuse box WOULD NOT "click".

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
15 Posts
Same issue

Mine is doing the same thing right now. 2003 I6 w/152K miles. I'm stuck at work at 7pm. I drove it around noon and t worked just fine. It's always worked fine.

I have a remote start and it tries severlal time to turn the engine over, but nothing. I can hear the relay click in the main fuse box under the hood. ALl lights, radio and battery guage says it has plenty of power. Now waiting on wife to come and pick me up. If anyone has any ideas, I'd be glad to hear them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Update - Same Issue

After reading CoryellSP's post about tapping the starter with a stick, I did the same thing and the engine started right up. Looks like I'll be changing a starter this weekend, which is exactly what I didn't want to do.

Thanks to sixholdens for the info about the solenoid. I'll post back if/when I get it fixed.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
44 Posts
If u dont want to buy a new chinese starter lol I rebuild starters at don duff rebuilding we can repair it or rebuild it sounds like SOL but could be wore brushes in the starter pm me if intrested

·
Registered
15 Posts
Starter

I ordered a rebuilt ACDelco starter from RockAuto. I got last Thursday, but my truck as started every time since this last and only episode, so I haven't changed it yet. We just bought a new house and there are quite a few things stored in the garage at the moment, so I'll wait until it gets a bit warmer out and probably do it outside, assuming the garage doesn't get cleared out before that.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
71 Posts
Your welcome!

Hope it holds up and you don't end up changing it on a cold rainy day like I did with a Trooper we own!

As I said, I haven't even had one of these apart but read that they are permanant magnet, like a lawn mower starter. Doesn't mean there are not parts that can't be replaced, just that they don't plan on it at GM. The solenoids are similar to the older style ones I am familiar with so they can be coaxed into giving more life it you clean up the contacts inside, but only as a last resort to get home. Better to replace as something do wear out over time.

Good luck!:)

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
1 Posts
i have a 2004 chevy blazer the wife and i were on a 6 hour trip drove down there with no problems drove halfway home and pulled to the gas pump to fuel up cut the thing off and came back to leave and all it would do was turn over any ideas already replaced the cranshaft position sensor

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
1 Posts
My 2004 trailblazer won't even click under the hood and all the lights are on in the cluster. I'm very frustrated, fuses, relays etc all good.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
14 Posts
Force it to start!!!!

Hi everyone, thanks for all the suggestions. They are all good, and for some it might solve your problem. In my case, that was not the case. I replaced the ignition switch and after 1 day the problem came back. I then replaced the starter relay and that did not help either. I managed to bypass the relay by making a jumper and forcing the started to start even with the key off. it worked a couple of times but not always.
So here is what I did to force it to start. I bought a PAINLESS starter solenoid and wired it directly to the starter via a little button under the dash that is hidden. It has worked beautifully for over 20 times when this problem has reoccurred. The switch only draws about 1 amp, while giving a direct line to the started from the car battery. So in my case, regardless of what the ignition switch is doing, if the relays are working or not, it will power the starter while the key is in the ON position. So for those of you that that are wonder how it works, I put my key in and turn the ignition all the way to start the car. If the car does not start I leave the key in the ON position as if the car had started. I then reach down to my hidden switch and when I press it, the car starts and everyone is happy.
I wanted to give some feedback which might help find the root cause. A couple of times when the Envy will not start and I force start using my switch, I get a message in my dash that displays LOW OIL PRESSURE. My guess is the ECM does a few quick checks and if something does not look right, it disables the starter circuit. Since I am forcing it, the message comes up as if the engine was running but in my case the pressure is always high enough. I recently replaced my oil pressure sensor only because my gauge was pegged at 80 psi all the time. I just replaced it last week so lets see if the cranking problem comes back. It seems to act up for me when its hot rather than cold.
I hope this helps those of you that are not scared to add special features to your cars.

:)

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_lt
1 Posts
have you tried everything else? Trailblazer no start, crank, or relay noise,

This problem gave me the hardest time and I must have read every post on this Forum pertaining to issues of a no start situation.

Here is what my problem was. A LOOSE FUSE!!

Like most others on here, I had all lights, blower motor, other electronics, etc., when I'd turn the key to the full ON position, but nothing when I turned the ignition to CRANK

Not sure if this is a common issue, but it was my problem in this instance and displayed most of the symptoms I've read about.

In the underhood fuse block, there are many large relays that can have an impact on you Trailblazer's starting and running capabilities and can easily mislead you.

SYMPTOMS, NO START, NO CRANK, NO RELAY CLICK FROM UNDER HOOD, NO SECURITY LIGHT

CULPRIT, Underhood fuse #28, PCM/I (15A) fuse was loose in it's housing.

HOW I DIAGNOSED: I accidentally nudged the fuse as I was moving around inside the underhood fuse block while I had the key in the full ON position and heard an electrical buzz, like things under the hood were beginning to receive power. After pulling my hand away due to my confusion on what I had done, the electrical hum had stopped abruptly.
I wiggled the fuse I had bumped into and it came back. I noticed that if I held some pressure on the fuse, the electrical hum would come back and stay, so with one hand on the fuse and one stretched through the open door jam, I bumped the key and bam! Life.

It was exciting, but I quickly learned that the vehicle would die if pressure from my hand was released from the fuse. I swapped the fuse and so far have had no problems, but I believe the problem may have more to do with the fuse block than the fuse itself and I plan to take it apart anyway and see if a wire or the motherboard needs fixing.

It caused ALL the symptoms I've read about on here.

Good luck and I hope I've been helpful!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey all,

Here's a challenge for you, as I am puzzled as to what to do. This morning, my 2003 I6 Trailblazer would not start. Wouldn't even turn over. When I turned the key, I just got a click and nothing. I just replaced the battery about 2 months ago, and all the lights/radio/instrument panel/etc come on just fine. They key fob works to lock and unlock the doors. Nothing indicates that the battery is bad. I cleaned the battery terminals, and the connections to the battery are tight.

I drove my other car to work, and when I came home for lunch, I decided to give it another try. First three turn keys... same thing (click and nothing, did not even turn over). On the fourth key turn, it started right up. When it wasn't starting, I opened the hood and fuse box cover, and I hear the relay clicking. Once it was started, I could start it right up several times in a row. If I let it sit for 2-3 minutes, back to nothing.

Not sure what to do here. I don't want to replace anything until I know what exactly is bad. I don't want to drive it and get stranded. I don't want to take it to a dealer if it's starting right up... just for him/her to tell me nothing is wrong. It could be anything... some loose connection somewhere, a bad solenoid, bad starter, bad PCM, bad ignition switch, etc.

By the way... here are a few things that I will disclose. I do not think these are related to the problem, but I will mention them in case I'm wrong:
1). Today was the coldest day we've had in awhile (about 30 degrees).
2). I've noticed lately that when I start it on a cold day, there is a loud whine from the engine. When I pop the hood, it sounds like it's a noisy pulley on the serpentine belt. The noise goes away in a couple minutes.
3). Just in the last 6 months, it has acted like it wants to stall occasionally when I go from a stop or when I shift from reverse to drive. It actually stalled on my twice, but started right up again. Replaced the spark plugs, spark plug boots, and serviced the ignition (standard tune-up), but has not helped. I also cleaned the throttle body, which did nothing.

ANY SUGGESTIONS? Anyone ever experience this? Between all the problems I've had with this Trailblazer, and all the problems I've had with my Pontiac Solstice (less than 20k miles), I'm starting to give up my life-long faith and dedication to GM. :(
Clean your throttle body. I had a i5 colorado that would stall at a stop sign and the idle would be low.. Once i cleaned the trottle body it ran like a new engine. there are videos on how to do this.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Force it to start!!!!

Hi everyone, thanks for all the suggestions. They are all good, and for some it might solve your problem. In my case, that was not the case. I replaced the ignition switch and after 1 day the problem came back. I then replaced the starter relay and that did not help either. I managed to bypass the relay by making a jumper and forcing the started to start even with the key off. it worked a couple of times but not always.
So here is what I did to force it to start. I bought a PAINLESS starter solenoid and wired it directly to the starter via a little button under the dash that is hidden. It has worked beautifully for over 20 times when this problem has reoccurred. The switch only draws about 1 amp, while giving a direct line to the started from the car battery. So in my case, regardless of what the ignition switch is doing, if the relays are working or not, it will power the starter while the key is in the ON position. So for those of you that that are wonder how it works, I put my key in and turn the ignition all the way to start the car. If the car does not start I leave the key in the ON position as if the car had started. I then reach down to my hidden switch and when I press it, the car starts and everyone is happy.
I wanted to give some feedback which might help find the root cause. A couple of times when the Envy will not start and I force start using my switch, I get a message in my dash that displays LOW OIL PRESSURE. My guess is the ECM does a few quick checks and if something does not look right, it disables the starter circuit. Since I am forcing it, the message comes up as if the engine was running but in my case the pressure is always high enough. I recently replaced my oil pressure sensor only because my gauge was pegged at 80 psi all the time. I just replaced it last week so lets see if the cranking problem comes back. It seems to act up for me when its hot rather than cold.
I hope this helps those of you that are not scared to add special features to your cars.

:)
Is there a video on how to do this

1 - 18 of 18 Posts