Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ss_3ss
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently my 2007 AWD TBSS is having some shifting problems. If you put the throttle down 1/4 to 1/2 way it goes up to 5500 rpm before shifting. It barely ever shifts below 4000 rpm from 1-2 now. If you gun in on an on ramp on the highway it goes to 7000rpm and just wont shift or accelerate.

The Truck has 59k and a build date of 06/07, so I imagine it still has the powertrain warranty (5yr/100k)?

The mods is has are a cat back and volant intake.....would these void the warranty?

Please help!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
fluid

I checked the fluid level and it is good and does not look or smell funky.

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
"The mods is has are a cat back and volant intake.....would these void the warranty?"

A cat back and CAI should have no affect on warranty.

·
Banned
2006 chevy trailblazer_ss_lt
5,895 Posts
sounds to me like you lost 2nd gear and you're only seeing a 1-3 shift. 2-4 band is smoked. tranny R&R

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
fluid

The fluid was check with the engine running per the directions in the owners manual.

Bringing it in to the dealer tomorrow to see what's up.

Anyone have any idea on the turnaround time if the 2-4 band is gone?

I just hope its covered.......

·
Banned
5,895 Posts
turn around depends on whether they rebuild in house or will order a remaned trans from gm. a competent trans guy can do it in two days. but you have to settle for the dealer...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dealer

Brought it in today. They said they'll get to it by Monday of next week because theyre are a lot of small jobs (oil changes/service) ahead of me and are too busy to do a "heavy" job right now. This is code for we need to do jobs that we can make money off of before we can get to your big job that pays us little.

For kicks I asked him if they had fixed any TBSS transmission problems to this point and they said only 1 so far, the rest were other issues. He said "I know how I'd drive that truck", likely meaning he'd tear the tranny up himself. He laughed and said the 1 transmission issue just happened to be a TBSS owned by a cop.

They said a 3 to 4 day turn around for the transmission work if necessary.

Still don;t know what it is but I'll find out Monday I guess.

I'll keep you guys updated.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dealer

So the dealer said that the warranty wont cover it because of after market headers I have. But they were willing to do a 50/50 with the company paying parts and I pay labor. Quoted $1800 labor for a rebuild and $1500 labor for a replacement.....are those prices inflated or standard?

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
You need to look at the exact warranty contract terms, but my attitude would be that the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act requires them to demonstrate the cause->effect relationship between headers (an exhaust component) and the transmission (a drivetrain component). Unrelated modifications do not void warranties.

You failed to mention you had headers in your first post, though. Cat-back and intake only. Anything else you forgot? Like a tune?

·
Banned
5,895 Posts
i would think having headers would imply it was tuned... if thats the case you lucked out. although if i was paying out of pocket i'd want stronger aftermarket parts installed not just the same junk that just broke on you.

those prices seem like your average dealership prices. inflated, sure... the average rebuild i've bought ran around $2000 out the door, for my ss i paid around $2.7k for a stout build not including the $1k converter i bought separately and the shop warranties it for two years.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tranny

Not tuned....as far as I know. But I didn't install all the parts that were on it. I forgot about the headers since it was not something I did. The dealer said they will do a screenshot of the computer settings and send it to the warranty dept....so I may be screwed. We'll see by the end of today.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
headers

I'm sure the dealer could argue that the increase in power from the headers put added stress on the driveline....right?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
History

I am the 3rd owner. 1st owner did all the mods sold at 30k miles. 2nd owner bought from a dealer sold at 55k miles. I bought from the second owner who did no further mods to the vehicle. Currently has 58k. He attempted to get the original parts from the dealer but that never happened. I knew the guy decently well and we went over the history while he had it. He only had problems with check engine codes due to the modified exhaust, which was fixed by an exhaust shop who put some custom mid pipes that fixed the issue. That shop told him it MAY be tuned because they suggested it would throw codes all day if the headers were on there with no tune.

So that's all I know.....

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update!

So no aftermarket tuning detected so the 50/50 split is a go.

BUT: I contacted a dealer in my hometown in Maine that I deal with and talked to the service manager. (Live in Boston currently...8 hours away). He said the headers should not void the warranty and it would be covered. Exhaust is not something to compromise the drive line.

The Boston warranty rep (supposedly said) the headers void the warranty, but the CAI and Cat back were ok. Again they offered a one time courtesy 50/50 they pay the parts (probably way cheaper) and I pay the labor (1500-1800). Or if I pay for it all they want to give me 24mo/24k mile free oil changes and tire rotation.

The tranny is supposedly disassembled currently and the dealer is submitting a cost analysis to the company to see if they'll pay for a rebuild or a new factory unit. They had not fully diagnosed the cause, just took it apart....as of the last I talked to them (this afternoon).

Should I get the warranty reps number and talk to them directly? Will they even talk to me directly since I am a "normal person"???

Should I just bite the bullet and be happy they pay the parts?

What do you guys think?????

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Again, what does the written warranty contact say in writing? If you want to appeal the regional manager's decision are you required to go to arbitration, or can you engage a lawyer to write a stern letter? You have a second opinion that says it might be covered at 100%. So if you can't get a more favorable ruling out of the regional manager, you may be stuck paying for it if you need the vehicle quickly (they count on this), and then appealing it later.

I would attempt to talk to the regional manager. If he refuses to talk to you, the owner, add that to your written log of events (you ARE keeping a written log of everyone you talk to, the date and time, and what was said, aren't you?!). Then follow the appeal path.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Update

Got a call from them. They said it was a insert piston for 2nd gear. Haven't heard of that part before. They are confident that's all it is and ordered the part....new estimated cost $400. This is more stomach-able. But damn, such a run around.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts