Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve got a terrible wobble in the front end of my 06 TB. Any time I hit a bump it feels like the front end is coming right off the truck. Even a bump as slight as a manhole causes it.

The worst part is, hitting a bump in a curve will send the truck pushing to the outside of the turn. And I’m not talking a slight push either. I’m talking about ending up half way into the next lane if it happens at about 45.

Also, the ABS seems to be more ‘sensitive’, if that’s the right word. Moderate braking over bumps will set it off where it had never reacted before.

I had this same ‘pushing’ issue in an older vehicle before but don’t remember what the problem was. For some reason I am thinking tie rod ends or ball joints..(?)

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance- :thumbsup:

2X

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
How many miles?

Things that affect steering accuracy are tie rod ends, ball joints, upper and lower control arm bushings, lower control arm bracket mounting bolts (3), steering rack mounting, extremely loose hubs, loose steering pinion or shaft, and loose wheel nuts.

Get it up in the air and wiggle the tire around. It should be obvious what's loose.

Your sway bar end links and/or shocks could also be bad, but that wouldn't affect steering accuracy as much.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
100 Posts
I’ve got a terrible wobble in the front end of my 06 TB. Any time I hit a bump it feels like the front end is coming right off the truck. Even a bump as slight as a manhole causes it.

The worst part is, hitting a bump in a curve will send the truck pushing to the outside of the turn. And I’m not talking a slight push either. I’m talking about ending up half way into the next lane if it happens at about 45.

Also, the ABS seems to be more ‘sensitive’, if that’s the right word. Moderate braking over bumps will set it off where it had never reacted before.

I had this same ‘pushing’ issue in an older vehicle before but don’t remember what the problem was. For some reason I am thinking tie rod ends or ball joints..(?)

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance- :thumbsup:

2X

And I bet its real fun in the rain.. Sounds like your shocks are blown..ever seen a car driving down the road and their wheel is just bouncing away?

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't think it's a shock.

It's more of a wobble (side to side) than a bounce (up and down).

I hope to get a look at it this weekend.....

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
1,380 Posts
I've heard mention of a "death wobble" on Extreme 4x4 awhile back and they weren't positive what causes it but did say to have every steering component checked out.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
1,531 Posts
I don't know what the problem could be. I just hope you drive safe while you still have this problem.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
290 Posts
Deffinetly check that sway bar links out that makes a vehicle do all sorts of funny things on the road. Good luck with the situation hopefully you figure it out soon. I say just give the whole front end a once around make sure everything is in tact and tight.

·
Registered
non_gmt360 other
35 Posts
Sounds similar to what I've got going on right now...

The truck seems to "track" along not bad, but wanders a bit more than I think it should.

When applying the brakes, I get a sensation that feels like a warped rotor.

I took it to the brake shop today. They called about 3 hours later saying the brakes looked fine. The rotors had less than 2,000th run-out, and the pads are evenly worn and have about 70 or 75% of pad left.

They diagnosed a leaking power steering rack, and the right front inner tie-rod end is loose.

When I picked up the truck, they had it up still, and when you grab the front wheel at the top, you can wiggle it in and out about 1 or 1.25 inches.

Needless to say, it's going into the stealership, as it has warranty still, should get that fixed, and a new rack... not bad for a $200 deductible.

Good luck with your repairs.
G

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
24 Posts
front end shimmy

i get a front end shimmy on my 03 envoy at 65mph and above. the strange thing is that i just had the tires rebalanced for my trip. anyone have any ideas on this?:crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::bonk:

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
I've heard mention of a "death wobble" on Extreme 4x4 awhile back and they weren't positive what causes it but did say to have every steering component checked out.
There was an episode on TRUCK U about the "Death Wobble" in Jeeps. It amounted to doing a lift without using a proper lift kit. It threw off the suspension geometry. They even had a video of the Jeep while it was happening.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
1,380 Posts
There was an episode on TRUCK U about the "Death Wobble" in Jeeps. It amounted to doing a lift without using a proper lift kit. It threw off the suspension geometry. They even had a video of the Jeep while it was happening.
Maybe that was the show I saw it on because they showed a video too, all the shows I watch on Sunday mornings seem too all run together! :bonk:

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle_xl
39 Posts
same problems

mines is doing the same thing and my passenger side shocks is out and every little bump i hit it feels like the wheels is going to fall off. and when you drive on a curve and i hit a bump it jerks the wheel so i think its the shocks! if you had fixed the problem can you pm me what you had fix? thanks

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
8 Posts
uuuggghhh

I have the samething my envoy tracks the ruts on the road and my steering feels loose, looking on the net, I found a blog where they tell you how to adjust the rack and pinion it work somewhat the steering feels a lot more secure but it still has some wobble. I guess there is more searching to do.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt
566 Posts
Amazing how many trucks are on the highway that don't handle worth a hoot...Once the vehicle starts to sway in a turn is a HUGE indicator that you are going too fast in the turn, or there's a suspension problem....And having a wobble on top of that is twice as scary.....Get it looked at before something tragic happens to you or another driver......

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
51 Posts
mine to

my 02 tb needs new control arm bushings and tie rods, the swaybar endllinks were done already but has the same issue another indicator is bad tire ware my tires are worn on the inside edge on both sides. but this just goes show that a good inspection can go a long way as I found the tie rod ends and bushings myself while checking something else. the garage (that the lady that owned it before used) had only found the endlinks and said that everything else was in good working order. I found over an inch of play in both up and down.

Blah, blah, blah, Check everything all the way, it all works together.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts