Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to AWD and its on this '05 Rainier AWD V8 we have.

I could get by I think with just changing the 2 front tires P245/65R-17

Michelins Cross Terrains at $190 tire + tax.

But I heard with AWD you have to change all 4 at the same time.

Is that correct?

If it was summer the tires have enough tread (44K miles), but since its winter I thought more tread on the fronts would be better for braking, etc.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
91 Posts
Tires

The tires all need to be within a certain range of diameter to avoid wear on the system. Now if you punctured one and couldn't repair it, you could buy one new tire and have them shave it down to match. It doesn't make sense to do this in your situation.

One other point- it seems counterintuitive but the better tires should go on the back. It helps for maintaining control in manuevering. You can check other sources to confirm. I think tirerack.com has good explanation of the situation.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks MBS...

I went to Tire Rack as you suggested.

Great tech article on AWD and tires swaps.

Skip

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
10,730 Posts
AWD, FWD or RWD, regardless of which wheels do the driving, changing the tires 2 at a time is a bad habit that you don't want to ever start! With proper care & rotation, you should be able to wear the full set down evenly.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
If you want maximum safety, you'll want 4 tires with the exact same characteristics. You can get by with changing tires in pairs [one axle at a time] on a FWD or RWD vehicle, I've done it many times. I try to avoid it now. A couple hundred bucks over ~3yrs is nothing.

Joel

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
I know Audi's Quattro system was extremely picky about having tires that are worn differently on the car. I'm sure GM's AWD system cares but probably not as much.

I agree your tires should wear out evenly with proper rotation.

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_denali_xl
1 Posts
I have an 06 Envoy denali. I blew out a tire and was told the that side wall is gone and cannot be fixed. Les Shawab told me that I needed to by 4 new tires because the tread needs to be the same. The current tires were brand new when i purchased the vehicle last July. I've put close to 7000 miles on them since purchased. Do I really need to buy 4 new tires. It's not AWD.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
2,235 Posts
You may not be AWD, but you still have 4x4 capability, and that is when having same size tires is important. And if you have Stabilitrak or traction control, a tire of a different size can cause issues with those systems.

I believe a difference of 1/4" in diameter is the outer limit. You have 2 options, try to find the exact same tire as the other 3 or try to find one that is within 1/4" in diameter.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts