Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay,
I was installing a transmission temp gauge in the space where the 4x4 selector switch should be. With a wiring diagram from The Rodie, I was able to use the harness that normally plugs into the switch. my problem is I was using the wires for 12v accessorie and dimmable dash light and I used the black negative wire from the auxiliary plug. I wired it in and when I connected the 12v wire it sparked and went dead :duh:. I feared I blew a fuse but haven't found one yet... every thing else works except now my cruise controll is not working... I removed the gauge and brought everything back to the way it was before I began messing with it. Where should I start troubleshooting the cruise? All tail lights are working, haven't found any blown fuses. HELP!

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Unless that gauge was defective, it should have been fine. Any chance you have a link to an on-line manual for it? Where is the sensor connected to? I assume the gauge only has 12V, backlight feed, ground, and a sensor input?

Anyway, I'm not sure which accessory outlet you wired it to (my Envoy has three up front), but one fuse is labeled CIGAR, and is fuse #13 under the hood. It also runs power to the Data Link connector, and a failure of this fuse also prevents code scanners from working, which is a very subtle thing I discovered ages ago.

The other (for me, at least) is under the rear seat AUX PWR 1, fuse #46.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the guage had ground, accessorie 12v, dash light, sensor, and 12v positive. I actually sparked when I was testing for voltage with my multimeter I had my negative lead on the black negative and was testing the 12v. now it won't give voltage and I have yet to find a blown fuse... I think I am gonna forget the guage and save my money for a dash hawk. I just need to figure out why my cruise isn't working...

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Ahhhh, sorry! I forgot where you were getting the 12V. That's the fuse feeding the non-existent 4WD switch. Rear fuse #48. Could conceivably have a tie-in to the cruise control.

How could there be a spark using the meter in voltage mode? You weren't accidentally in resistance or current mode were you?

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
to be honest, I was using a cheap $1.99 multimeter from harbor freight. I have not had luck with it in the past. I checked it after I had the sparking problem. I will check the 4x4 fuse. I was wondering myself why they would go to the extra trouble and parts to install all of the 4x4 wiring and fuses even though it is only rwd.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
There is no reading the minds of the GM design team that also stuck us with the diff bolted to the side of the oil pan. You would not have wanted to be in the same county as I was when I discovered this detail a few weeks AFTER I bought the truck! :hissy: :hissy: :hissy: :hissy: :hissy: :duh: :bonk:

They must have analyzed the numbers, and concluded the 4WD harness was cheaper than the trouble of keeping two part numbers in stock. Or the flexibility it gave them to have a pre-wired 4WD harness come down the line, and then convert it to 2WD by simply omitting the expensive bits, had some benefit to the operation planners.

At their volume, wire and connectors are amazingly cheap.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
okay,
checked the four wheel drive fuse, accessorie 1 fuse accessorie 2 fuse, various other fuses, visually all good. Unless I missed one that was blown that I couldn't see (I need to get a fuse tester) there are no blown fuses. still no cruise controll. I have checked my tail lights, all are coming on. What next?

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,708 Posts
Did you use a meter and read 12V on both sides of the fuses, or just look and say, "that looks good"? Sometimes a fuse will be bad and look good. A fuse tester is really cheap. I think you just missed one. I do not believe we have any fusible links, do we Roadie? (Picky, picky, picky). :duh:

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
You mean fusible links, don't you? We have one between the alternator and the battery. The 125A Megafuse is in a location that other vehicles would use a fusible link.

Anyway, the cruise control is inhibited under the following conditions:

Its ON/OFF switch is off.
The stop lamp switch is closed
The TCC brake switch is closed (both of those are on the brake pedal)
A cruise control-related code has been set
Speed less than 25 MPH
Vehicle in park, reverse, neutral, or 1st gear
Engine RPM too low or too high
Vehicle speed too high
System voltage not between 6 and 16 V
ABS is active for more than 2 seconds

Typically, mystery cruise control failures are caused by a code. Sometimes one that's not setting off the SES light. Also, the PCM contains codes that will tell a scan tool WHY the cruise control is not working.

Might require a trip to somebody with a scan tool to read those codes. Most home scan tools won't.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok... Bought a fuse tester and tested EVERY FUSE IN THE BOX... both under hood and rear seat. all were good save the trailer parking light fuse but I know I blew it when I brought home my boat (the wiring was bad). so my next step is finding a scan tool to see what secret code has been set to disable my cruise control. Is there ANY way that I can avoid the Stealership? Would autozone have one that they can scan to find the code?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts