Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to add a Boss BASS1200 and am going to use high-level inputs because I have my stock system in my 02 TB LT and was wondering if I can tap the wires half way down the car and not go to the back of the stereo or if the power cable will cause interference.

Need help fast!

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Will the amp power cable cause electric sound and interference? A Crutchfield video told me to put the speaker wires on the opposite side of the power cable.

Also, does this make my back speakers stop working or do they lose power at all?

·
Registered
2003 trailblazer_lt
9,821 Posts
Will the amp power cable cause electric sound and interference? A Crutchfield video told me to put the speaker wires on the opposite side of the power cable.
I dont think the speaker leads will induct interference....usually this is recommended for routing RCA cables

Also, does this make my back speakers stop working or do they lose power at all?
They will still work, but I dont know if their output will suffer....I have never amp'd off a high level signal

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
alright,
I also found a post that I could potentially hook my power on, would that work for a 1200 watt amp?

How about a 200 watt amp?

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,491 Posts
alright,
I also found a post that I could potentially hook my power on, would that work for a 1200 watt amp?

How about a 200 watt amp?
Are you talking about the rear fuse block under the rear seat, or the two posts that clamp down the Mega-fuse in front of the fuse block under the hood?

Either way, You'll find some people who will say do it, and some that will say not.

Your best bet is to just wire it straight to the battery. :m2:

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If I connect my 1200 watt to the battery and my 200 watt to the fuse box under the seat would that work?

·
Registered
2003 trailblazer_lt
9,821 Posts
You'll find some people who will say do it, and some that will say not.
this

If I connect my 1200 watt to the battery and my 200 watt to the fuse box under the seat would that work?
Run 1 power wire from the battery to a distribution block and connect both amps to that:m2:

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The "how to" guide on here says to put it on the fuse box post.
Can I wreck anything by doing that?

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
694 Posts
Ok, if you are going to tap into the b pillar speaker wires, you need to make sure you use an inline resistor so you don't back feed into the head unit and blow out your outputs.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Everybody I've talked to just told me to tap it and I'd have no problem.
How do I send signals to my HU when I'm using inputs?

I was planning on doing that because I'm using 4 gauge I was just wondering about my lower powered amps.
Will it ruin anything?

·
Registered
2003 trailblazer_lt
9,821 Posts
Everybody I've talked to just told me to tap it and I'd have no problem.
tap what?

How do I send signals to my HU when I'm using inputs?
The amps hi level inputs will be getting the signal from the head unit speaker outputs

Will it ruin anything?
Some people have had success

I wouldn't mess with it.....GM didnt say "Hay Guise Lets Do A Run Of 8 Gauge To The Back So People Can Hook Their Amps Up", they needed power back there so they ran a fused feed.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
tap what?

The amps hi level inputs will be getting the signal from the head unit speaker outputs
I should have quoted it but I was talking about how CoyoteFireGuy said that I could blow out my HU by tapping into the pillars.

And as for my powering, I will just run my powered sub to the batter and my other amp to the fuse box.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
497 Posts
Ok, if you are going to tap into the b pillar speaker wires, you need to make sure you use an inline resistor so you don't back feed into the head unit and blow out your outputs.
That is utter non-sense.

First of all, a resistor is bi-directional. Even if adding a LOC at the B-pillar was an issue (it isn't) a resistor wouldn't help.

If you want to make a circuit directional, you want a diode.

But it's a moot point, anyway, because you don't need one.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I wouldn't mess with it.....GM didnt say "Hay Guise Lets Do A Run Of 8 Gauge To The Back So People Can Hook Their Amps Up", they needed power back there so they ran a fused feed.
It's 6 awg, iirc. And GM fused it for 125A. Even still, I don't see even 75A worth of load back there. So I'd say there's some free current for the taking, if needed. I personally would recommend running to the battery, simply because it's the right thing to do... But if someone wants to hook up a small load to that post, it's not gonna make the sky fall down.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It's 6 awg, iirc. And GM fused it for 125A. Even still, I don't see even 75A worth of load back there. So I'd say there's some free current for the taking, if needed. I personally would recommend running to the battery, simply because it's the right thing to do... But if someone wants to hook up a small load to that post, it's not gonna make the sky fall down.
I was just going to put a 200 watt amp on it. The "how to" article shows the guy putting a 750 watt on it so I figure I'm in the clear with my 200. Just not my 1200 watt sub/amp

·
Registered
497 Posts
I was just going to put a 200 watt amp on it. The "how to" article shows the guy putting a 750 watt on it so I figure I'm in the clear with my 200. Just not my 1200 watt sub/amp
Assuming it actually does 200W sustained, at 60% efficiency, that's 333W of load which @ 12V draws 27.8 Amps. That's sort of a worst-case scenario, in my opinion.

Like I said, direct to the battery is best... But I don't think you'll run into any snags with connecting that to the post.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.