Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Trailblazer LT
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Keep getting different opinions on this so I thought I'd ask around here. I keep all season tires on my 07 TBLT and usually only use the Auto 4x4 setting for winter conditions. However given some recent nasty weather I was thinking of going with snow studded tires. However, I only have two. Will it be OK to throw those on the back of the truck and put my best all seasons on the front? People tell me to go ahead and put them on, while others go crazy and tell me it'll wreck my 4x4 system. The tires are all the same size, just those 2 are winter and studded. Is it a go...or a no?

Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm no mechanic but I can't see how it would wreck your 4x4. I've had people also tell me that you need all 4 tires exactly the same tire tread. If they are the same size why would it wreck anything?. Again no mechanic but driving over 42yrs and hard headed.lol.

·
Registered
2007 Trailblazer LT
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm no mechanic but I can't see how it would wreck your 4x4. I've had people also tell me that you need all 4 tires exactly the same tire tread. If they are the same size why would it wreck anything?. Again no mechanic but driving over 42yrs and hard headed.lol.
That was my thinking too. And if it's a matter of having the exact same tire tread, then I'm already screwed as one of my all seasons is brand new while the others are a few years old. You can visually see the difference in them.

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_lt
38 Posts
It won't hurt a thing. So long as they're all the same size your car won't know the difference. But just know that while studs can help to a degree they aren't a magic bullet. They mostly help some on glare ice but for snow you'll be hard pressed to tell that they're even there. Check your local laws too, areas that allow them usually have on/off dates (here it's 1 November to 1 May) and some don't allow them at all unless you're in some kind of essential occupation.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
2,332 Posts
As I understand it, wheel diameter is the only factor for affecting 4x4 operation, I believe tire diameter should be within 1/4 inch.
Also, it is not advisable the A4WD because it can cause premature wear on the transfer case clutches, plus it also causes sudden and sometimes harsh engagement into 4WD.
Make you change the transfer case fluid every 50K miles, using only GM AutoTrak II fluid.

·
Registered
2007 Trailblazer LT
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It won't hurt a thing. So long as they're all the same size your car won't know the difference. But just know that while studs can help to a degree they aren't a magic bullet. They mostly help some on glare ice but for snow you'll be hard pressed to tell that they're even there. Check your local laws too, areas that allow them usually have on/off dates (here it's 1 November to 1 May) and some don't allow them at all unless you're in some kind of essential occupation.
My driveway is on a massive hill and freezing and melting and refreezing is a daily thing. That's the main reason I would use studs. Also because the studded tires came with the truck when I bought it. I dont know that I'd ever go looking for studded tires, but since I have them...

As I understand it, wheel diameter is the only factor for affecting 4x4 operation, I believe tire diameter should be within 1/4 inch.
Also, it is not advisable the A4WD because it can cause premature wear on the transfer case clutches, plus it also causes sudden and sometimes harsh engagement into 4WD.
Make you change the transfer case fluid every 50K miles, using only GM AutoTrak II fluid.
?...Do you mean it's not advisable to keep the truck in the Auto 4x4 setting all the time?

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
2,332 Posts
It is not advisable to keep it in Auto anytime. If you need 4x4, put it in 4HI, otherwise keep it in 2HI.

·
Registered
2007 Trailblazer LT
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is not advisable to keep it in Auto anytime. If you need 4x4, put it in 4HI, otherwise keep it in 2HI.
Really? I use it to get out of my driveway nearly everyday and usually have to use it at least a couple times to get moving throughout the day. It's been a really harsh winter here so I've just been leaving it in Auto for the past few weeks.

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_lt
38 Posts
I never liked how the Auto 4WD worked, mine always engaged pretty roughly. Driveline shocks like that tend to eventually break parts and remember the newest of these things was built 11 years ago. I quickly learned to treat it like a conventional 4WD vehicle, i.e. leave it in 4hi on slick surfaces and click back to 2hi where I had pavement exposed. Worked great.

And if the studs help on your steep driveway by all means use 'em!

·
Registered
2007 Trailblazer LT
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If I rely on the Auto setting for getting out of my slippery driveway but then continue onto clear roads once out on the pavements, is it best to shut off the Auto function until I know I need it again?

·
Registered
2007 Trailblazer LT
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If I rely on the Auto setting for getting out of my slippery driveway but then continue onto clear roads once out on the pavements, is it best to shut off the Auto function until I know I need it again?
...... or should I use 4HI for getting out of the driveway and not Auto at all? 4HI can be switched into on the fly?

·
Registered
477 Posts
@ AC75TB07---- your:
"...... I only have two. Will it be OK to throw those on the back of the truck and put my best all seasons on the front?

I worked for Auto Club and their suggestion was that if you need chains, cables or studs - put them on the front.

They will pull with the engine weight on the front --- you can see where you're going --- you can steer to compensate and the rears will follow pretty much anyway.

I do this on my K5 - and my Isuzu Amigo 4wd - and now on my TB. I live in Montana and we get snow almost all winter - well <blush> -- this year isn't a good snow year - not yet anyway!

If you only have RWD - well ---> you gotta put the traction devices on the drive wheels.

Some states do not allow studs. Check your local laws - and I personally hate what they do to the roads.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts