Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a Volly Fire fighter and i was paged out tonight but when i go to my car there is a sheet of ice on my wind shield and my wipers dident do anything to it so i had to drive to the station with my head hanging out the window and thats very dangerous and i dont want to have to do that again so what can i do to eliminate that? yes i know i dident puncuate but im tired.

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
Remote start? And keep a can of windshield deicer spray and a good window scraper in the vehicle at all times. :m2:

·
Banned
2004 gmc envoy_sle
3,097 Posts
How about putting a piece of cardboard over the windshield to try and keep the radiant heat in and prevent the ice from forming?

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,483 Posts
Get a garage! :rotfl:

But seriously, I'm in the same boat as you... What I've done in the past is get a waterproof tarp, and put it over the front end of my car. I had to get up for a call one night and went out to about 10 inches of snow... the tarp pulled right off...and no snow on the windshield.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
111 Posts
Remote start? And keep a can of windshield deicer spray and a good window scraper in the vehicle at all times. :m2:
Remote start wouldn't do him much good as he wouldn't know in advance when to start his vehicle..lol

I would suggest the same as Liguidtherapy did. Use a piece of cardboard but lift your wipers up off windshield first then lay cardboard down.

When I get to work during the winter months I always lift my wipers up and leave them up so at the end of the day they are not stuck to the windshield. I have remote start so I rarely have to clean my windows off but for those who don't have remote start, by lifting your wipers up it makes cleaning the windshield off a whole lot easier and you don't have to worry about ruining your wipers.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
155 Posts
Deicer Washer Fluid

I guess it depends on how thick the ice is. Sometimes there's no alternative to scraping, but for any thickness of frost I use this deicer winshield washer fluid from prestone. It melts the stuff lickity split. I go through several tanks of it in the winter, but it prevents me from having to scrape the windshield :woot: It's around $2.50 at our local NE walmarts. It's not very good for warm weather use though, cause it seems to be a little thicker than the summer stuff and makes the window slightly foggy.

http://www.prestone.com/products/windshieldWasherFluids.php

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,708 Posts
If your wipers are froze to the winshield DO NOT turn on the wipers. The least you will do is rip the leading edge off the wipers, and ruin them, and the worst you will do is burn up the wiper motor. Get a can of de-icer and put -20 de-icer in your winshield washer. Card board / tarp / blanket on the winshield will do wonders as well. Get a plastic scraper and keep it in the glove comp. Treat your winshield with rain-X as well.

·
Registered
281 Posts
ive lived in michigan my whole life and have dealt with this issue in every vehicle every winter. i never tried the blaket or tarp thing but my first thought about that is that the wind would just blow it off or out of position.

i always fill up with the de-icer washer fluid but when its really cold that stuff just freezes too.

my best advice would be to get a quality scraper with a nice hard flat edge. some of them even come with little metal edges to help cut through the ice.

·
Northeast Chapter
1,502 Posts
Tarp it. I put a tarp over my windshield and windows at night when it's gonna be cold, and snow/ice. And I go out, pull off the tarp and my windows and roof area are snow and ice free. Plus, I don't get a bunch of snow in my truck when my wife opens the door without wiping some of the snow off of the door jamb area. That's my :m2:

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
331 Posts
rain-x

rain-x works pretty well its basically a wax for your windows it doesn't let ice or water stick to your windows the ice will still be there but it will slide off easily.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
193 Posts
rain-x latitude blades + rain-x windshield treatment + rain-x de-icer washer fluid have worked well for me. they also make a product to minimize foggy windows that you apply to the inside glass.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for all the advice im probably just go with the rainex treatment and a scraper

·
Registered
2006 saab 9_7x
17 Posts
I'm looking for a link to the product that I have... It's a nylon piece that works like one of those sun screens only for the outside. It's the height of the windshield and a bit longer so you can fold it over and close the flaps inside the door. I'll keep trying and post a link if I find it. Mine works great in our Chicago winters and it hasn't been stolen yet so I'm pretty happy.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
8,770 Posts
saw this a few days back...

:undecided

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
what i do is put a couple coats of good wax on the windsheild this will make it a bit easier to remove the ice. rain-x sucks and i would not use it but their washer fluid is good. also a remote start will help even if you are on call as soon as you get the call start the truck just make sure you have the defroster on and by the time you get out to the truck it will be warn enough to easily scrap the ice off or use the wipers. but it also depends on how much ice there is if it a heavy coat there is not too much you can do quickly even the heated scraper take s a few for the element to heat up then you have to let melt the ice i have one and to me its just a pain in the a$$ and does nothing but collect dust..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts