Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting extreme wind noise from my front diver's side door. I am not sure what is causing it. It is the first time that I have had it happen, but it was extremely noticeable. Should I just take it to the dealer and have them look at it?

·
Registered
2002 chevy
2,582 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will have to look into that. I am still worried that it was that bad going down the highway that the door might not need to be adjusted a little bit. It was the only one doing it.

·
Registered
2002 chevy
2,582 Posts
What are you worried about? The worst thing that could happen is not try. I did and it worked. Just do it!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have had wind noise from the driver's door ever since I bought my '06. It is only when driving at highway speeds over 60. I have had the bodyshop at the dealership adjust the door but that did nothing. I plan to give the door seal mod a try very soon.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am going to do the mod and contact the dealership to have them adjust the door.

·
Registered
2008 chevy
8 Posts
Yep, I have the wind noise too, don't want to take it to the dealer and have them "tweak" my door and have them make it worse than what it is, just gonna fix it myself......

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think I got the incorrect tubing or something. I got 5/16" inside diameter tubing. I am guessing I should have gotten 5/16" outside. I tried for about an hour to get the tubing through and it kept getting stuck. Someone should offer these as a predone set.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
111 Posts
I did my dirvers door only with 5/16 OD and I am wondering if I should have used something smaller. It sealed really good but is really hard to shut. You have to slam the door really hard to get it to close all of the way. I do have 4rolls of 1/4 tubing and am thinking about doing the door with that instead. In the MOD instructions it says 1/4 - 5/16 so I am guessing you can use anything within those two.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
5 Posts
traveler73

I have noticed that some of the wind noise on mine that i thought was coming from the front is also coming from the rear doors (right by your head). People who sit in the rear really also used to say it was horrible. I was able to do a simple mod that significantly improved the wind noise especially in back. Right in the forward corner of the rear window weatherstripping there is a sizeable gap on a lot of these vehicles (look at top forward corner of rear windows where the window weatherstripping should sit flush against the door frame) its apparent on almost all of these vehicles i see on parking lots and if you look at it you can see how it would catch a lot of air. I got some windshield black caulk and entirely filled both gaps on either side. it doesn't affect the window up,down operation and it really improves the wind noise especially in back-just wait for it to set completely for a day before you openthe rear window or the caulk may crack alittle-but i did this mod a year ago and it still looks great--try it!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have noticed that some of the wind noise on mine that i thought was coming from the front is also coming from the rear doors (right by your head). People who sit in the rear really also used to say it was horrible. I was able to do a simple mod that significantly improved the wind noise especially in back. Right in the forward corner of the rear window weatherstripping there is a sizeable gap on a lot of these vehicles (look at top forward corner of rear windows where the window weatherstripping should sit flush against the door frame) its apparent on almost all of these vehicles i see on parking lots and if you look at it you can see how it would catch a lot of air. I got some windshield black caulk and entirely filled both gaps on either side. it doesn't affect the window up,down operation and it really improves the wind noise especially in back-just wait for it to set completely for a day before you openthe rear window or the caulk may crack alittle-but i did this mod a year ago and it still looks great--try it!
Can you show some PICs of what you did?

·
Banned
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
522 Posts
I to had bad wind noise. More noticeable on the highway. I did the door seal mod and that helped a good bit, but did not solve the problem. I did a comparison to my wife's 07 Honda Pilot, since hers was much more quite. My TB has huge gaps between the door and body, also hers has a kind of second weather strip that seems to close the gap. Almost making the transition smooth.

I have planned on trying a mod to add a strip like this. But havent been able to find thin flat rubber/weather strip.

Also I think a major part of the noise is the design of the door, I wraps up to the roof. Wind crossing the roof would be sure to get caught in the vast expance of our doors.:m2:

·
Registered
72 Posts
try maybe taking the roof rack off of your car?
I did that and i noticed a reduction in the wind noise on the freeway.

Then again, another solution could be just to play your stereo so loud you can't hear the wind noise :crackup:

·
Registered
8 Posts
try maybe taking the roof rack off of your car?I did that and i noticed a reduction in the wind noise on the freeway.

That's what the dealer told me to do!! Since they can't fix the problem!!!

·
Registered
2007 isuzu ascender
403 Posts
after rack removal,,was there a big difference in wind noise,,worth removing roof rack???

·
Registered
72 Posts
after rack removal,,was there a big difference in wind noise,,worth removing roof rack???
yeah there was a pretty big difference in the wind noise for me. especially around freeway speed, like 55-70ish. (anything above 80, you're gonna get wind noise anyway.)
I would say its worth the removal of the rack. It's fairly easy, doesn't really cost a thing, and not to mention it looks good too.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
9 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions

I just picked up my used 2005 Trailblazer on Monday and the first thing I noticed driving it home was the wind noise from the driver's door!! Thought the door wasn't closed. I'll give the tubing mod a try this weekend.

Have to give it a personal detailing too since the dealership did a poor job.

Thanks for the forum!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts