Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's what happened and what I have done so far:

Ran errands this morning, everything is normal. Got home, hung out, needed to go back to the store, the TB won't start..

At that time, the battery was fine, fully charged. All electronics worked fine, lights on, etc.. It wounded like a massive click from the starter, as if the starter had died and couldn't engage. With the ignition in the ON position, I could press the brake pedal and hear the click down at the shifter to release it from park.

To ensure it was not the battery, I hooked up my large charger and tried to charge the battery and it was fine. Metered the battery and was at ~15.5 volts. Checked fuse 22, replaced relay 47. Did everything I had seen done within other threads, and since those options are the easiest and cheapest, did those. Had starter test, and it tested fine at O'Reilly..

Put starter back on, and this is when I replaced the relay in the under-hood fuse block.. Once I did that, the truck no longer made the loud clicking noises it had previously at the starter. It was dead quiet, just like a dead battery, but again, all electronics worked. I could not meter in the crank position at the starter as there is only me around, so I had no help to speak of. Tried charging, just to be sure, again, and same deal. Nice and quiet.

I tried wiggling shifter, like I saw mentioned in another thread, and still no dice.

I have not replaced the starter. I am not 100% sure it's bad, but also not 100% sure it's good, either. Could this be the ignition switch under the dash? At $37, it's far cheaper than a starter, and since I am unemployed, I am hoping I don't have to end up with a new starter.

However, I really need help. I am supposed to head out and pick up my daughter so she can return from her Christmas vacation. I only have the one vehicle, so I am screwed. I have reserved a car at Avis car rental, but I really can't afford this crap. So I am hoping to resolve the crank issues with the ignotion switch or another starter.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am sorry for creating another "the damn thing won't start" threads, but I read as many of the others as I could find, did as much from those as I could, and I am still down. Is there anything I missed, or anyone have an idea about my situation based on the info above? Thank you very much!

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
912 Posts
Ours did the same thing about 8 weeks ago and it ended up that the battery had an internal short and needed to be replaced. After I put a new battery in, it never did what you are describing again.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Ignition switch is a huge suspect. You could troubleshoot it more precisely with a meter and some idea what's going on at the starter relay socket.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited by Moderator)
I have a relatively new Optima Red Top in there.. Got it back in about February or so when the original battery finally went tits up on me on a balmy day of about 12 degrees.. :duh:

Ignition switch is a huge suspect. You could troubleshoot it more precisely with a meter and some idea what's going on at the starter relay socket.
the 4 holes within the fuse block, what would i be more specifically looking for, roadie? ensure there's voltage at each post?

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Most relays have two power pins, and two control (coil) pins.

For the power pins, one has constant 12V and the other one goes to the starter, so it would only have 12V when the control/coil is active.

For the control pins, one has constant 12V, and the other end gets grounded by the PCM when it sees the ignition switch go to the START mode.

If you have a local buddy who knows circuits they might be a faster way to learn than a forum like this. All vehicles use similar start relay circuits, so a "how things work" site might also be a good read.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xl
134 Posts
this happend to my wife's car last winter. My 1st suspect is the battery going bad, so I ran to Autozone to get a new battery. Still no good. Found out there's water in the gas tank...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not sure what fixed it, necessarily, and it may not be 100% fixed..

I replaced the relay, replaced the battery with another optima red top and replaced the ignition switch..

It still would not crank. Put original relay in just for ****s and grins, and it started right up.

Auto Zone says the battery was fine and tested it and said cranking amps were still showing good. I asked for a replacement anyway, and they did.

So original starter is still int here, as is original starter relay. Battery was replaced, as was ignition switch. If I had to wager, I would say it was the ignition switch. But I wouldn't wager much since multiple changes occurred and a couple of those changes were reversed. I'll keep the rental one more night and just keep trying to crank the TB every couple of hours to be sure it will start.

Than I will just need to replace that damn secondary air intake POS.

Also, ever since I put the original optima red top in the truck last february, it has started to corrode on the negative post at the battery.. Any ideas on that?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now I have no headlights. No DRL.. Brights work, and turning the switch manually doesn't seem to do anything.. all blinkers and brake lights work..

nothing else seems to be going on.. just to the no headlights (low beam) issue now.. Not sure, but maybe relay 46, in all the other crap that was going on, took a crap itself.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts