Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 Trailblazer and just bought a 21 ft pontoon boat. I know it will tow it, but will it pull the boat out of the water?

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
191 Posts
I have a 2008 Trailblazer and just bought a 21 ft pontoon boat. I know it will tow it, but will it pull the boat out of the water?
In 4LO, most likely. The more important question is: Will it safely STOP that boat? What is gross weight of the boat, trailer, and any gear you'll be storing on the boat during towing?

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_lt
8 Posts
I tow an 18ft pontoon boat with a 2008 Trailblazer. I have no problem pulling it out of the water. I always use 4wd at the boat ramp.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In 4LO, most likely. The more important question is: Will it safely STOP that boat? What is gross weight of the boat, trailer, and any gear you'll be storing on the boat during towing?
I’m not sure honestly. It’s my first boat and my husband wasn’t sure it would pull it. It did, just fine, but then we thought about pulling it out of the lake and that’s what our concern is. May have to trade up on that Trailblazer

·
Registered
857 Posts
Are you implying that someone would tow a boat - or any trailer over 500 lbs without electric brakes?

1. I bet it would be illegal in most all states to not have trailer brakes over 500 lbs.​
2. I know that break-away brakes are also mandatory if you have trailer brakes.​
3. Your GM is pre-wired for brake controllers if it has the factory hitch. Use it.​

Personally I own a 2-axle trailer and I put electric brakes on the dummy axle right after I got it.
It really makes it a lot easier to stop it when it's loaded with 3 cords of wood.
Trailer electric brakes take almost all the load off the vehicle's brake system in that it is capable of stopping the trailer without the vehicle brakes adding to the stopping power.

I installed my trailer brake controller on industrial strength Velcro - really tough stuff too! So far - 2 years - it hasn't budged a bit and yet I can still take the controller off with ease.

Reactions: TBewley67

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xl
75 Posts
You shouldn't have any problems. I have a 24ft pontoon and pull It with my 97x. And before someone chimes in about the AWD, i deleted it. I did a 6.0 with a rwd 4l80 and have no problems pulling it out of the water. I would just make sure you have a limited slip or locker. We always had boats when I was growing up and always had 2wd pickups and most had open diffs. and we never had any problems

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
9 Posts
I pull about 4500 lbs boat and trailer with no problem. The trailer has no brakes. You need to be careful and use common sense when towing - it's all about stopping. You'll have zero problems getting it out of the water.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
15 Posts
No problem. I pulled a 21’ mini day cruiser with a big block. Local lake here has an extremely steep launch ramp too. Mine was an 04 Ext 2wd 4.0 3.73 gears non posi. Wasn’t fast towing , but a decent tow rig. ( towed my 72 C10 on a good car trailer too

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
133 Posts
I pull about 4500 lbs boat and trailer with no problem. The trailer has no brakes. You need to be careful and use common sense when towing - it's all about stopping. You'll have zero problems getting it out of the water.
Powerstop tow brakes theyll throw you through the windsheild check em out

·
Registered
4 Posts
It should pull it with no problems if anything use the tow package if its equipped with it and if not then use 3rd and not over drive . Whats the weight and tongue weight

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
3 Posts
I had a 21' fiberglass runabout with V6 I/O and pulled it in and out of several different lakes for 10 years with no problems. My TB is in '04 with 2WD and 3.42 ratio locking differential. Originally my trailer had surge brakes which was great, but after a few years they went out and I still had no problems (just need to be careful and use common sense as mentioned earlier). My only issue was that the transmission shifted in and out of OD on the highway at every small hill, sometimes I would just leave it in 3rd.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I don't have a lot of experience towing boats. Most of what I know is from watching the Qualified Captain videos on Youtube and Instagram. Please don't end up on that page with your truck in the water. The issues I saw there were steep slippery ramps with RWD trucks unable to get traction. If it was me I'd have redundant back-up plans, about 200 lbs of kitty litter or sand in the truck to lay down for traction if needed, and a small electric winch that can at least help it get up the ramp if needed. I agree with trailer brakes, too. I've towed with a Chevy and a Dodge pickup for a construction company, grossing 16,500 lbs and very weak trailer brakes, and these were heavy duty trucks, I still felt the strain when slowing down. Let us know how it goes!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts