Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to replace the O2 sensor in the exhaust manifold. It is in really tight, so the slotted O2 sensor socket cannot grab it securely enough for me to take out the sensor. I am thinking about cutting the wires and using a regular socket. If I do, and still cannot remove the sensor, will I damage the engine by driving the truck 3 miles to my mechanic's shop?

·
Registered
2003 trailblazer_lt
9,856 Posts
It will survive the 3 mile trip. Just secure the connector so it doesn't get damaged.

Soaking the sensor overnight with pb blaster and/ or heating it up (with a torch or letting the engine run for a couple minutes) will make removing it easier.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. The reason for the attempted replacement is the "service engine soon" light, with code P0172--system too rich (bank 1). I have replaced the fuel and air filters and cleaned the throttle body. Also installed a new ignition switch because of hard/no starting/stalling, and used a fuel injector cleaner. I thought had everything fixed when this new code popped up.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle_xl
1,228 Posts
depends on the room available i have on another vehicle used the box end of the wrench, a line wrench would have worked too, not sure since i havent had to change any of the o2 sensors on mine yet also agree with mayo3lt soak it down overnight or run it to warm it up maybe both

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
I assume you're talking about the upstream sensor on the exhaust manifold, I couldnt get it with an O2 socket either, would slip off. Ended up pulling the heat shield off then grabbing a 22mm box wrench and using that. Took more time to pull the heat shield on and off than actually replacing the sensor.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had to look up "line wrench" on google (didn't know what it was.) No, it would not work; the heat shield is in the way. My only options are removing the heat shield as was suggested, or cutting the wires and using a regular socket. I have tried PBBlaster. Will spray some on again, then run the engine to heat things up and try to remove the heat shield. If that doesn't work, I will do the more drastic option (cutting the wires). And if that fails, I will call my mechanic...

Thank you all for your helpful suggestions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts