Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2006 saab 9_7x
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife had an accident in het Trailblazer a month ago. She overcorrected and spun and slide into someone's yard and put the Trailblazer on its side. I noticed when I came to get her, a lot of fluid had collected just below the transmission area. It's an 02 LTZ with 4 wheel drive. Today the shop is done with the repairs but they could not tell me where the fluid came from. Can you guys tell me what this is and is it ok to drive? Thanks.

Where I thought the fluid was coming from:

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
425 Posts
:iagree: just make sure all fluids are full before you start it

·
Registered
12 Posts
yeah it definitely looks like tranny fluid, i would run it through the gears while the engine is running to make sure that all the ports are filled up and the torque converter is full and then recheck , then take it around the block and then recheck again better to be safe than sorry. might just want to check the gear oil for the 4wd too
Hope everyone was alright

·
Registered
2007 gmc
159 Posts
Id have to say that its just tranny fluid that got out from the vent tube
yeah it definitely looks like tranny fluid, i would run it through the gears while the engine is running to make sure that all the ports are filled up and the torque converter is full and then recheck , then take it around the block and then recheck again better to be safe than sorry. might just want to check the gear oil for the 4wd too
Hope everyone was alright
Hope the wife is alright. Looks like very old, almost burnt tranny fluid.

·
Registered
2006 saab 9_7x
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies. She was fine. My 21 month old son was riding along and he was okay too. She said he flipped out :sadcry: but he was was all right after she got him out.

So I went to pick it up and put it in every gear and everything seem okay. But then I put it in A4WD and there was a loud noise when it engaged. It never made this before, so I left it there for them to check it out. I'm guessing the fluid was from the transfer case? Sorry for the ignorance, I am pretty knowlegable when it comes to cars, but I haven't worked too much with her car. I am always wrenching on mine (01 Audi S4).

*edit* Trailblazer has 144,xxx miles and we bought it when it had 110,xxx miles and I have not changed the transmission fluid, so I am not sure if it was every changed. :duh:

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
4,125 Posts
Glad both your wife and young one are OK but how did the TB not flip? That's crazy. The grass isn't even wet for it to slide. Was it an evasive maneuver?

As for the leak it looks like either trans or transfer case fluid could have leaked out the vents and dribbled down. It's not like they could have broke but check both.

What was the total bill if you don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
2006 saab 9_7x
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It was right at 4k. She was going pretty slow, I think the tire actually gave which caused it to flip (and being so top heavy). I want to lower it now so that it will handle better and I think it will be a little safer. But she is worried that it would ride like my car, but I don't plan on slamin it (like mine :D ).

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
1,282 Posts
If it was transfer case fluid, it would be blue.

Definately old trans fluid. Drop that pan and change the filter, disconnect front cooler line and flush that old crap out.

Did you guys have full coverage insurance? Was there much damage to the side?

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
997 Posts
We might complain sometimes about the gas mileage in the city but we forget that there is no such thing as a free lunch, and there comes a time that we are GLAD we have heavy-ish overbuilt GM products with proper frames under us.

Glad to hear everyone is okay, and she should rest assured that this is one tough truck.

I would get your transmission and all driveline fluids changed. That is simply transmission fluid that leaked out the vent pipe, but it definitely looks old.

It is also time for new tires. Read lots of the tire threads in here. (One of my general rules of thumb owning a LOT of cars and trucks over the years is that I have never liked a Goodyear tire, and I have never disliked a Michelin. I now run Michelin LTX M/S on both my wife's Blazer and my Trailblazer.

It also looks like it is time for new shocks. This will also improve the handling. (Tires and shocks contribute more to the 'feel' of a truck than almost anything else, and GM did a great job controlling the roll of our trucks - provided we do OUR job by keeping it in good rubber and good shocks.) I have always found most GMs to be a bit 'undersprung' so a lot of us in there would suggest Bilstein HD shocks or the Munroe Reflex/Rancho RSX (same shock; different name) level of replacement shock.

·
Registered
2006 saab 9_7x
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the replies. I know everyone is saying the tires look old, but maybe it's just the pics, the tires are actually pretty new Kumho's with approx 10-15k miles on them. It definately does need new shocks which I had been meaning to replace, it drives like a boat on waves on the interstate.:eek: I have been meaning to replace them with Bilstein HD's.

So would the fluid being low in the transmission cause the new noise I hear when I engage A4WD?

Couple of more pics and what it looked like when we rolled it back up right.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
997 Posts
No, the tranny fluid has nothing to do with the transfer case. Clunking can be normal engagement, but it could also mean your transfer case fluid is low. Some may have leaked out a vent too and you didn't notice it. (It is blue when new, but turns brownish-green when used.)

After a rollover, you need to check ALL fluid levels. If you are doing that anyway, then you might as well change them all. These trucks NEED fresh fluid, especially in the transfer case and transmission. They should be done every 50,000 miles or so - transfer case even more often. I would also do power steering fluid and brake fluid changes with those miles.

The nice thing is that ALL these fluid changes are easy and can be done on your driveway with minimum tools. The transfer case fluid change should be a priority but it is not even a 1-beer job. (Use ONLY GM autotrak fluid in the transfer case!)

·
Registered
2006 saab 9_7x
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What fluid do you recommend for the transmission?
The noise was quite loud when I put it in A4WD, when I flipped the switch my wife was in our other car and she exclaimed "What was that?" So I'll make sure they check the transfer case. Thanks.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
434 Posts
Put in a Dex 6 fluid. The TB used to use Dex 3 but GM changed the recommendation to Dex 6 and is backwards compatible, as stated before, do a complete system flush with new filter. Transfer case is
GM only Autotrak II(dealer only $8 a bottle, 2 bottles needed), blue in color.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts