Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 TB non bose, I didn't purchase a wiring kit for my indash dvd from Jensen. I have it hooked up and works great but only if i have the fog lights on or park or headlights. At night the no problems, daylight have to keep lights on. Any ideas what i might have hooked up wrong i would like to not have to keep lights on to have radio. Any info will be greatly appreciated. :weird:

·
Registered
2009 chevy
6,431 Posts
Well, the money guess is the radio power lead is connected to the dash light circuit.

Damn, he got there 1st again

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Could be worse, I suppose. Could have been the dimmed dash light circuit, driven with a PWM wave.

When I'm on duty, I type quickly. hehe

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i actually was following the diagram from this site for the wiring colors
This is the wire I used for power Radio 12v + orange located in the radio wiring harness

·
Registered
2009 chevy
6,431 Posts
Hmm, orange is the 12+ lead, but I think orange is also the lamp circuit. Let me check, I'll be right back.

The dash light circuit is brown/white, it's the reading light circuit that uses orange (not part of headlight/DRL circuit).

Ok, the serial data bus wire is orange, but there shouldn't be any 12 v supply on there. Hmm, that's a tough one.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
That's like a crappy wiring resource list somebody else created. The radio harness actually has THREE orange wires. One is the instrument panel lamp power, another is the serial data bus, and the last is constant 12V power. You chose the one that's the least damaging.

Touching the serial data line would kill most of the vehicle functions.

Connecting to constant 12V isn't bad, but the radio would never turn off automatically.

You need a harness to do all the functions properly since the OEM radio uses a serial data message to turn on and off. It has no switched power of its own.

Read up on the adapter stickie in the Audio section.

Hah! Ray. Beat you TWICE. Now I have to go cook dinner, so you can take it from here.

·
Registered
2009 chevy
6,431 Posts
That's like a crappy wiring resource list somebody else created. The radio harness actually has THREE orange wires. One is the instrument panel lamp power, another is the serial data bus, and the last is constant 12V power. You chose the one that's the least damaging.

Hah! Ray. Beat you TWICE. Now I have to go cook dinner, so you can take it from here.
I knew you'd have the answer, my schematic shows the ip lamp circuit as brown white, but I don't have the detail that you have (in my manual, or in my head :D ). Enjoy your meal, I'm 4 hours ahead of you (you can't beat me there :raspberry ), so I'll be passing the night shift over to you when your free.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks to all who gave help i think i must just go and purchase the adapter so it is easier and functions properly. Since I even lost my door chimes and warning chimes and onstar prompts. I was just hurtin for cash and tapping the wires was the best thing to do at the time. sorry to be a pain i am new at this electronics stuff.

·
Registered
2008 chevy
129 Posts
While we are on the subject ...

I need to find a wire for the dimming circuit on my Kenwood. So it has to be for the dash lights that only come on when you turn the lights on. It seems some of the dash lights (wiper switch / ac control) are on all the time.

Anyhow, when I poked around with the test light I couldn't find one, also I searched with no luck.

Thanks,

Frank

1 - 11 of 11 Posts