Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a call from the dealer yesterday asking how the truck is running and blah blah business BS. Anyway, i took notice that the decal on my windshield has the truck slated for a 3000 mi oil change out. Now, i've read on here that even conventional oil in these here 4.2L I6 motors could easily go 5000 miles between OCIs, actually that 5000 Mi is recommended by GM...

So i ask him why it's set for 3000 miles and he gives me this here answer:

"Because the weather in Wisconsin has a very extreme hot and cold weather, we recommend a 3000 mile OCI instead of a 5000 mile OCI."

BS???

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
5,267 Posts
the Oil change monitor- one of the factors it uses to determine oil life is cold temps and hot temps...
but the computer keeps track of the engine temps- not the atmospheric temps.
But it is feasible that if its -10 outside- your engine will run cooler- and I think the temp sensor tells the oil life monitor that startup temps were cold, so it deducts for this....... People that live in these conditions can tell us if their engines reach 210 at all.
But Id let the Oil life monitor do the monitoring.
the oil will easily go 5000 with city and highway mix
But remember that the TB has 7 quarts to use up...
My friends 07 Tahoe- has the typical 5 quarts... he did plenty of driving between New Mexico and So Cal, and his oil light came on at about 9000 miles. thats when he changed it... and it sounds normal since it was alot of Highway...
Im currently at 8000 miles on my oil- when I last changed my oil- I took a trip down to Guadalajara mexico which was all highway- about 3,000 miles worth....so the fact that my light hasnt come on is attributed to alot of highway driving. ...
if it was me- id wait for the light-
for your peace of mind- make your own decision.
dealer- wants $$

like 2000SLT said- it is possible to hit 12,000 miles.
With all highway driving, and 7 quarts- its very very possible.
I sure have seen my light come on around 11,000

remember- that other GM cars have 5qts, and their lights will come on sooner since they have less OIL wear out

·
Premium Member
9,559 Posts
My Dealer in Lake Geneva WI. told me to bring it in at 3K for the first oil change then after that wait until the oil life indicator said 5%. I am waiting to see how many miles that gives me. :)

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
yeah alot of dealers tout 3000 mile intervals-
about 2 yrs ago- GM sent out a notice to dealers- essentially saying to use the OLM and not the old 3000 miles changes.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,046 Posts
My Dealer in Lake Geneva WI. told me to bring it in at 3K for the first oil change then after that wait until the oil life indicator said 5%. I am waiting to see how many miles that gives me. :)
I change my Mobil 1 religiously at 5k intervals, have have not seen the DIC indicate less than 74% (summer) and 64% (winter). Just for info, not for argument's sake.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
like in bearcats case- the vehicle is programmed to calculate the oils life in DINO oil..... not synthetic. so if you put in synthetic- it still calculates as if it were dino.
the GM vehicles that calculate oil life as synthetic are those that CAME from the factory with syn. like corvettes caddies, and I think even the TB SS
The oil life algorithm is tailored to the engine it is in- to take into consideration the dynamics and recommended oil of that particular engine.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I've never seen my OLM light come on. I change my synthetic oil about every 5000 to 6000 miles. I also clear the OLM every time i change it. I'm not trying to start up a big debate but there is no way i could wait till my light comes on i don't care how much GM has spent testing there system.:m2: Of course i'm old school to.

Mark.

·
Banned
chevy
12,260 Posts
being that he has an 04 LS like mine, we don't have a DIC. So nothing indicates oil life to us. I have never ever had a light or warning come on to tell me to change my oil.:no:

·
Registered
683 Posts
being that he has an 04 LS like mine, we don't have a DIC. So nothing indicates oil life to us. I have never ever had a light or warning come on to tell me to change my oil.:no:
We do have a oil life sensor. We just don't have the DIC like you said. So we don't know where were at on oil life. We have a light that says "Change Engine Oil" when it needs a change.

Mark.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Interesting replies from everyone. yeah, no DIC for me so all i'll get is a flashy blinky light. I will use the OLM for my OCI but i just REALLY want to tell this guy off now. Him and his Service Manager.

·
Banned
chevy
12,260 Posts
We do have a oil life sensor. We just don't have the DIC like you said. So we don't know where were at on oil life. We have a light that says "Change Engine Oil" when it needs a change.

Mark.

:laugh: I know the light is there.... but mine has never come on:laugh: . I changed to Synthetic at 1000 miles, and waited for the light...and waited....and waited. I gave up at 8000 miles. It still hadn't come on. Since then its every 5000 miles for me.

·
Registered
683 Posts
:laugh: I know the light is there.... but mine has never come on:laugh: . I changed to Synthetic at 1000 miles, and waited for the light...and waited....and waited. I gave up at 8000 miles. It still hadn't come on. Since then its every 5000 miles for me.
:laugh: I thought you probably knew.:laugh: But i'm with you on the waiting for the light to come on thing. With The first 2 oil changes i didn't reset it and the light never came on:weird:

Mark

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
I've never seen my OLM light come on. I change my synthetic oil about every 5000 to 6000 miles. I also clear the OLM every time i change it...
I havent had my OLM dash light come on either. I purposely didn't reset it on my last (5000mi) oil change to see how long it takes to light up under my conditions. So far it's been since June 2006 and about 8Kmi. No light yet.

Joel

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
yeah mine takes a long time to light up- so I just make sure the light turns on during the start up dash light check.

·
Western Canada Chapter
6,411 Posts
If you don't push your motor then what about the 1 year timer? Does that or anything else get messed up when you disconnect the battery for a few hours?:undecided

Oh ya ..... the Roadie has it nailed! :laugh:

1 - 20 of 49 Posts