Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
2,369 Posts
main reason why i don't use the OLM, even though it most likely wasn't to blame, but i still wouldn't want to take a chance of that happening to my engine.

·
Southeast Chapter
2004 buick rainier
5,864 Posts
wow, talk about sludge, but even if the cluster was replaced just before the engine started making noise; how could you not know if the oil has been changed in 30000 miles. i could see if it was a rental or fleet truck or something but if it was privatly owned then that is just bad on the owners part.:no:

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
2,968 Posts
Yea. My commuter is at 3900 on Mobil 1 synthetic and I haven't moved it because I haven't had time to do an oil change. That is pretty ridiculous!
yea. once it hit 4K I parked it until i had time to get it changed. thankfully i have the stealth to keep me going.....

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_sle
39 Posts
holy crap ive seen cars/trucks with over 150k miles on them that look better. and you are safe changing synthetic oil at 5000mi on i6 like ours unless you are doing a lot of hauling or heavy throttle driving.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
2,667 Posts
yea. once it hit 4K I parked it until i had time to get it changed. thankfully i have the stealth to keep me going.....
4k? :dielaugh: Many people have proof that these engines can go over 10K miles with no problem on dino oil.

As for not trusting the OLM, the owners manual clearly states if the light does not come in within 1 year that the oil should be changed. MOST people don't put 30K miles on their car in one year.

I would also venture a guess that if it was 30K miles since the last oil change, that they probably never checked the oil level either. That probably had more to do with the demise of the engine than anything else.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
5,267 Posts
This sure sounds like owner neglect... 30K and seems like they never pulled the dipstick.
I do my 10-11,500 mile oil changes using the OLM. But I also check the oil level every so often.....
I changed my oil on Dec 6... Left her parked for a week and on DEC16-17 I drove about 1600 miles one way. visited family and drove around the city for 2 weeks...then on Jan1-2 I drove another 1600 miles back home. Yesterday I checked the oil. Its still at the full mark. The oil is now a little darker- golden brown.. but its not Black.... Just like the previous 4 trips of 3,200 miles.... I dont change the oil. I leave it in and wait for the OLM to come on. I expect it to come on around the 11,000 mile mark...
Im very close to hitting 138,000. Also got 20-22 MPG. I measured the rear suspension drop before and after loading up the TB for the trip.... The rear dropped 3.5 inches from the weight I had in the cargo area and the cargo rack.... Great engine... even with Dino oil.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
218 Posts
That "oil" is nasty! But I'm honestly surprised it didn't last longer- unless it was primarily city driving. When I changed my oil out at 15k, it was still fine. Black, but still flowed just like it did out of the bottle, with very few deposits. Granted, it was Mobil1 and not dino, but I'm still surprised hers sludged up so quickly. And I'm with rbarrios- I changed my oil a few weeks before going on a trip to the Florida Keys- about 1,000 miles away. Over the whole trip, there and back (2k+ miles), I've used up 10% of oil life on the OLM. So, general rule of thumb (for me) is 1%=200 miles for oil life on the highway. Just thought I'd chime in.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts