Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
noticed noice from drivers side of truck - starting at approx 30 mph getting louder at highway speeds. I ? if it is a wheel hub versus cv joint. I am wondering if the cv joint is "engaged" when in 2wd or it only is in use during 4wd??? - Is there an easy way to eliminate the cv joint as the cause for my noise????

input appreciated:)

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,708 Posts
CV joints tend to make clicking noise when you turn left or right. Grinding could be the wheel bearings (complete hub replacement). Brakes are ok? Change or check the front diff for fluid? Jack it up and spin the wheel, hear anything? Drivers CV turns all the time.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
177 Posts
noise

sounds like you have a bad wheel bearing.. you have to buy the whole hub to replace, i have two for a 2003 cheap.only got 30000 on them. thought mine where bad and replaced both. Found out it was my tires that were cupped..bummer:bonk:

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Trailvoys don't have disconnecting hubs, so the CV shafts are always engaged and spinning. The 2WD disconnection is accomplished by a splined collar on the passenger side of the oil pan plus the transfer case clutches.

Typically hubs will make more noise when on the outside of a turn, when they get more stress. Turn left, and if the noise goes down, it may be the driver's hub.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2005 trailblazer that I use for surfishing, so I use my 4 wheeldrive while driving on sand. Just started to hear a rubbing noise from the front of the truck wheneve I engage my 4x4 on the beach as I drive faster noise gets louder I am just a woman and have no idea please help thanks

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
... I am just a woman ...
My wife ( a bra-burning 70's era ERA marcher) groaned a bit reading that. Please don't apologize for your gender - apologize maybe for not being an experienced mechanic. But I have to ask a few questions I ask of anybody new.

1) How many miles.
2) What's its service history (transfer case or differential fluid changes) or any other failures?
2A) Does the "Service 4WD" light come on?
3) Does it make noise ONLY in 4HI or also in A4WD mode?
4) Does it make noise on pavement also?
5) Do you have the tools and want to dig deeper to diagnose it yourself?
6) Do you have a trustworthy independent mechanic in case you don't want to do it yourself?
7) Are you used to going to the dealer and budgeting for their kind of repairs?

·
Registered
2 Posts
It is a 2005, never had any other problems except last week emission light came on and I brought it back to dealer because it is still under warranty. They said the emission light was a air valve that needed to be changed(not sure if that was it I have to look it up), at that time I told them about the noise I hear when I am driving on the beach, only really heard in in 4 hi never tried it myself on pavement on Awd on 4 Low, the dealer ship stated they did not hear anything and nothing showed up on code reader.

No I can't fix it myself or do not have anyone to help, but my trailblazer is still under warranty.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts