Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

Whining noise coming from engine area

3K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  Dannnny240sx 
#1 ·
hello everyone,
im having a small problem im hearing a whining noise coming from the engine area mainly the middle were the fan is. Im having the engine light come on and off but it doesnt over heat. I moved the fan left to right motion and it wiggles does that mean my water pump is going bad? Any info is appreciated.

#2 ·
You are probably looking at replacing the fan clutch, but while you have it off it would pay to replace the water pump as well. The light that is going on and off is the check engine light? No codes have been set?

#3 ·
thanks robert for the info and yes it is the engine light that is coming on and off. I have the codes read before from autozone and it says it either a bad thermostat or just low on coolant but i check coolant and its fine.

#6 ·
When they lock up they will sound like a jet engine, also described as sounding like a diesel truck, wound up. What does the temp guage on the dash say, do?

#7 ·
oh well no it hasnt lockd up yet and the tempature gauge says all sorts of temp. when i start it up it slowly goes up to 250 and then when i get on to the highway the damn thing drops to 110 and then jumps back up :weird:

#8 ·
Water pump and or the fan might not be working correctly. Can you put a scanner on it and read the real coolant temp (gauge might be bad)? Thermostat also might be sticking open at times. Hot and cold will set codes for the thermostat.

#12 ·
I am also having the same problem. i have this whinning/ whistle noise coming from the engine. It does it mostly when the rpms goes up and down. and lately i hear it very slightly when the car is in idle.

i heard from some posts it could be the water pump going bad.

i'm not to sure but i think it may be a fluid making that noise.

need some help!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.