Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_slt
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some help. Just yesterday, I noticed a whining noise coming from the engine when it's rev'd (not high pitch or anything, just know there's definitely something different sounding with the engine). I've read stuff about fan clutch going out and high pitch noise, but the noise seems to be coming from the power steering pump or something in that area and not at a super high pitch noise that's described for fan clutch problems. I've scanned it but no trouble codes come up. My wife owns a Isuzu Ascender with the same I6, but it doesn't have that noise. Should I be concerned? Any ideas on what possibly it could be?

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
It could be either the PS pump going, the idler pulley, or the belt tensioner pulley. Try putting a wooden dowel against the PS pump while it is running and the other end to your ear. It acts as a stethoscope to isolate sounds.

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_slt
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It could be either the PS pump going, the idler pulley, or the belt tensioner pulley. Try putting a wooden dowel against the PS pump while it is running and the other end to your ear. It acts as a stethoscope to isolate sounds.
Thanks! The sounds seems to be coming from the PS pump (used the dowel to hear) or maybe the tensioner pulley, doesn't really sound like it's coming from the idler pulley side...I think. I've never removed any of those, but I have the service manuals.

Sorry for any ignorance, but when you remove the tensioner pulley, is it keyed on the back so that tightening it doesn't rotate the entire tensioner pulley? From looking at the service manuals, it looks like I would tigthen it with that center bolt, but would still be able to release tension with a breaker bar even though the center bolt is tight. I'm used to the old school belts where u needed to set the tension w/a ruler.

I looked at a thread about the idler pulley and they said it was easy to remove. But I was trying to figure out an easy way to remove the bolts, but it looked pretty tough, not sure if I'm looking at the right thing. The idler pulley is the one under the alternator right (2006 Envoy)? What's the best way to get to the 3 bolts?

Also, taking out the Power Steering Pulley, manual says you need a installer/remover tool for center of the pulley. I looked online and it was like $100 ea! Is there a cheaper way?

Thanks for any more info guys.

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
I bought my PS pump pulley puller/installer from Harbor Freight for about $20.00. The tensioner is keyed in. Remove the belt, remove the bolt holding the tensioner, reverse step to install the new tensioner. Good luck.

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_slt
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yup, that sounds like it. I know your post was a while back, but did you ever change out your power steering pump? I saw that you bought it on eBay. Any problems w/installing?

I bought my PS pump pulley puller/installer from Harbor Freight for about $20.00. The tensioner is keyed in. Remove the belt, remove the bolt holding the tensioner, reverse step to install the new tensioner. Good luck.
Thanks again! Was it one of these pullers?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=40749
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=66412

Looked online and saw that GMPartsDirect has:

PS Pump = $95.61
Drive Belt Tensioner Pulley = $59.79
Idler Pulley = $28.96

So is the idler pulley under the alternator?

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
I bought the second one, but for less than one dollar difference I would have bought the one with the case. Yes, the idler is under the A/C. The tensioner is by the PS pump.

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_slt
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So one more question about the idler pulley. I saw the sticky on how to remove it, which shows just a center bolt to remove and replace with for example a Dayco P/N 89059. But looking at my service manual, it shows the idler pulley assembly w/3 bolts mounted on the side of the engine with no mention of the center bolt on the pulley. I'm assuming the service manual is showing the entire assy, but the pulley itself can be removed separately from the entire assy? I've got a 2006 Envoy, but I'm assuming it's the same as the 2005 TB in the sticky.

Also, if I have to remove the pwr strng pump (which I think is the real problem), is there any easy way to remove those hoses at the bottom of the pump? Looks kinda tuff to get to.

Like always, this site is awesome. I went from clueless about the whine to narrowing it down to a couple of things.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
9 Posts
I bought my PS pulley puller from Princess Auto for $15 on sale from $25. Worked like a charm.
http://www.princessauto.com/tools/a...-power-steering-pump/alternator-pulley-puller

The pump cost $180 at NAPA tho (only a $40 core exchange, so $140). If I looked around better, rather than buying the first one I found available, I could have got a new one for $100.

Definitely was the PS pump. No more whine for me. :)

-----
Oh, if you return your old pump on core trade, make sure you put the 2 plugs from the new pump onto the old pump, so that fluids don't leak everywhere, lol.

-----

And hi... My first post here. Will make proper introductions later on in the day.

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_slt
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I listened more closely to the whine, and determined that it sounded like it was coming from the idler pulley instead of the ps pump. Replaced w/AC Delco p/n 38006. I think there was another thread posted recently talking about the original washer not fitting. Not sure if that was the same p/n, but my box stated the dust cover was not needed since the bearing is sealed. Quick changeout and the whine is gone, my ride is nice and quiet now. Thanks everyone for helping me troubleshoot this problem. I initially had no idea what the problem was. THANKS :thumbsup:!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts