Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2006 saab 9_7x
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Can anyone tell me which transfer case my SAAB 97x 5.3 has? It is fulltime AWD. I am hoping it is the same Torsen as is used in the TBSS. So, Anyone have the answer?

Thank you,

NTRSANDMANN

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,203 Posts
I'm about 99% certain the 5.3L uses the same unit as the Rainier & Bravada did, basically a version of the standard unit with the Lo range removed to allow for a larger clutch pack and programmed/pre-wired to permanently run in A4WD mode. Now the Aero, with the 6.0L does in fact use the same drivetrain as the SS.

·
Registered
2006 saab 9_7x
4 Posts
IT appears the AWD TC in TBSS and Saabs is
a New Venture 120. (maybe also referred to as NR9)

but my research is limited. if anyone knows better, they can chime in.

Best regards

·
Registered
2006 saab 9_7x
4 Posts
so a little more news, the NP or NVG , or whom ever owns them now. WOTN number is the 136, 1 for single speed, 3 for strength rating, and 6 for electronic locking.

there was a couple of sites that lead me to consider a 149
single range, stronger, viscous coupling, but I tend to agree with the above poster that, for the 5.3i, it's the same as the Rainier's, which was a NV 136 (RPO code NP4)

it would make sense that the NP149, is what ended up on the SS and Aero, as it has a Higher strength rating. But I don't know that to be the case, I consider it a possibility.

Now the process to uncover whether a 4hi lock is possible with a little electronic work and a nice switch.

(such as was possible with the Troopers BorgWarner TOD systems)

have a good one

·
Registered
2009 chevy
6,431 Posts
The AWD trucks use a NVG (New Venture Gear) 126 case,

The 4x4 trucks use the NVG 226 case

The SS trucks have a completely different case.

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
The AWD trucks use a NVG (New Venture Gear) 126 case,

The 4x4 trucks use the NVG 226 case

The SS trucks have a completely different case.
True and true, but the SS has the EXACT same case with different guts.

Nothing shares the Torsen T-3 AWD setup the SS has except the Saab 9-7X Aero. Anyone that has a Torsen xfer case in a non-SS/Aero has swapped it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts