Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_sle_xl
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do the higher gears make much of a difference, and if so, do they really drag down performance? I am trying to decide how important axle ratio should be in considerations for my purchase of a used TB.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,932 Posts
Well depends on your uses. The 3.42 is the best as far as mileage by a slim margin and since it keeps the Rpm's lower the engine will presumably last longer. 3.73's will be better if you do some good towing as they get the Rpm's up faster which also translates to alittle bit quicker acceleration. 4.10's will decrease mileage alittle bit more than the previous ratios and will run the engine at higher Rpm's. If I was you I would try and find one with the 3.73's. I'm sure someone will chime in about the code to tell if you have the 3.73, which would be located in the glovebox door.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
10,730 Posts
Another vote here for the 3.73s. 3.73s seem to be the best balance of power and MPG in all GM Trucks & Suvs. If you drive mostly flat highways then the 3.42s would be better for you. If you drive in the city, tow or are in a hilly area then I would get anything higher than 3.73s. If you tow often and live in the mountains then 4.10s would be the best.

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_lt
222 Posts

4.10's are only offered in the I-6 motor. Not available in the V-8 unless you have a TBSS.....Sucks for the other though...would love 4.10's in my TB wiht the V-8...VROOOOOMMMMM!!!!!

Don

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
10,730 Posts
4.10's are only offered in the I-6 motor. Not available in the V-8 unless you have a TBSS.....Sucks for the other though...would love 4.10's in my TB wiht the V-8...VROOOOOMMMMM!!!!!

Don

Rear axle swap from a wrecked SS? Hmmm :undecided:undecided:undecided:undecided

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I would go with 3.73's. I have 3.42's. I have been getting around 17-18 lately, but I have been doing a lot of highway driving. My normal driving I get around 16, which includes some pretty hilly areas. From reading other posts on here, it seems the 3.73 is the best overall to go with.

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_sle_xl
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, that helps a lot, guys. Sounds like 3.73's will be the best bet. I will tow a trailer with dirt bikes and/or quads and I make trips where I cross a couple pretty good passes. Sounds like the 3.42's would be a little high for me, and I am pretty sure I want the V8 and I need 4X4, so that that pretty much puts me aith the 3.73's. I appreciate the help!

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
363 Posts
You won't regret the 3.73s!! :thumbsup::cool:

I totally agree. I went from 3.42 to 3.73 in my sonoma and it was a major improvement in overall performance and the mileage did not suffer. My TB has the 3.42 and since it is a TOY I might jump to the 4:10 as it will be the tow vehicle when my race truck gets ready.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I totally agree. I went from 3.42 to 3.73 in my sonoma and it was a major improvement in overall performance and the mileage did not suffer. My TB has the 3.42 and since it is a TOY I might jump to the 4:10 as it will be the tow vehicle when my race truck gets ready.
Did you do a complete swap or r/p?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts