Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to instal a 120VAC sine wave inverter in my 2005 TB EXT.

Which fuse box will be the happiest with the extra 30 Ampere load on it?

I'd prefer to use the internal, behind the seat panel 'cause the inverter is closer to it than the underhood fuse panel - and then there's all the extra wires to run to the front ---- etc.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,038 Posts
For that kind of current, I would run it directly to the battery using fuses on each lead.

That is what I was told to do by a mechanic with a BS in Electrical Engineering when we purchased our 04 TrailBlazer and I discussed the wiring of a 100 Watt ham radio transceiver in it. The shop foreman at the dealership where we bought it pointed me to him. By the way, at this particular Chevy Dealership the average length of time the "mechanics" had been employed there was on the order of 15 - 20 years, and 4 of them were GM Master Technicians. A very honest shop.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I worked with a GM Master Mec once - he was OK for an old guy.

Now I'M the old guy.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,038 Posts
You aren't old, just well seasoned!

Reactions: Diamond193

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just as long as I don't taste good, bearwise.

·
Registered
2007 gmc envoy_sle
16 Posts
I agree with chem_man; Connect this to the battery or the B+ connector on under hood fuse box. And use fuses in both wires, close to the battery.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'd like to put one 350 Watt unit in the center console and another 750 Watt unit inside the rear HVAC zone - this is an EXT TB here so there's a lot of room in that body area.

I have this same setup in my '86 K5 for when I'm camping or dragging wood home for my woodstove.
I fish and hunt wood all year, and there's just not a good supply of 12VDC tools that can do what I need.​
Both my TB and the K5 work and play at the same time and there's even the wood-collection of opportunity.​

I find that I need to use an occasional power tool on 117VAC once in a while.

·
Registered
2007 GMC Envoy 4.2
22 Posts
I was thinking about mounting a 500 Watt in the engine bay...maybe on the firewall? (Envoy 4.2)

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've seen installations like that. The only reason why I wouldn't do it that way is for possible road-splash and contamination of the electronics in the unit itself.

It seems better to keep it inside where it might have a better chance of not getting wet --- or oily --- or overheated.

·
Registered
2007 GMC Envoy 4.2
22 Posts
That makes sense to me too. The other option, for me, is to mount it in the cargo area somewhere, and then I get to your original question and the fuse box under the seat is the best place to hook up for simple logistics in terms of power cord management.
My problem is that I have never created a fused terminal in a fuse box before - I was counting on using the battery terminals to connect to - That, I have done and understand!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts