Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hows everybody doing? :thumbsup: good i hope. anyway i dont want to make this long so ill get right to the point. i have an 03 envoy slt and want a CAI. something that sounds sweet and wont make my check engine light turn on.
what do u guys reccomend and why?
LET THE REPLIES BEGIN!!!
p.s. :thx in advance for any help provided.
Ariel

·
Registered
159 Posts
I personally plan on going with a Volant or possibly airraid if its considerably cheaper. i heard nasty things about K&N letting dust and dirt through, so I'd avoid those. :m2:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh yea b4 this gets any longer... where can i look into purchasing these intakes. yes i have done a search but i find more things on blazers than i do envoys on here :(

·
Banned
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
888 Posts
Your best bet is Ebay, its the cheapest place to get them. If you dont like Ebay then just google it and a long list of places that sell them will come up. Remember that the TB and envoy have are almost identical under the hood.

Chickengas while you are correct on the fact that the K&N will let mor dust in, any filter that uses a cotten element will let more dust it. When you open up for more CFM you also open up the possibility to let more particles in. The best thing if you are woorried about dust is to keep the stock paper filter. Unless you live in the desert then i wouldnt worry to much. Foam filters are just as bad. Most filters will result in similar power increases, what will seperate each brand is the quality of the filter, how well the tube keeps heat out and how well the heat shield keeps the heat off the filter. K&N, AFE, Airaid, and even the "ebay" intakes will make an improvement over stock. It just depends on what other features the kit take into effect. Before you go spending a ton of money on the volant kit you might want to consider what someone else suggested and get a kit that allows the use of the stock airbox and cut the face out.

Im probably going to go with the AFE of the K&N 57 series, only because it uses a composite tube and wont be as vulnerable to heating up like a metal tube.

·
Western Canada Chapter
6,411 Posts
Remember that the TB and envoy have are almost identical under the hood.

Chickengas while you are correct on the fact that the K&N will let mor dust in, any filter that uses a cotten element will let more dust it. When you open up for more CFM you also open up the possibility to let more particles in. The best thing if you are woorried about dust is to keep the stock paper filter. Unless you live in the desert then i wouldnt worry to much. Foam filters are just as bad. Most filters will result in similar power increases, what will seperate each brand is the quality of the filter, how well the tube keeps heat out and how well the heat shield keeps the heat off the filter. K&N, AFE, Airaid, and even the "ebay" intakes will make an improvement over stock. It just depends on what other features the kit take into effect. Before you go spending a ton of money on the volant kit you might want to consider what someone else suggested and get a kit that allows the use of the stock airbox and cut the face out.

Im probably going to go with the AFE of the K&N 57 series, only because it uses a composite tube and wont be as vulnerable to heating up like a metal tube.
:iagree: Very well stated. Even oil analysis from Blackstone Labs recognizes some extra impurities with the K&N however they do not throw red flags because of it. They only explain why the extra silica may be present and do not recommend extended oil change intervals because of its' presence. They recommend to follow extreme or heavy duty use oil change cycles.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
nice any more suggestions?
looking into this im really going for something thats going to sound really nice as well as performance and not to have the hassle of worring about dust gettin in the engine coz im keeping my truck for ever. and any other problems that may occur.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
221 Posts
Volant appears to have the best setup as it comes out of the box, unless you intend to modify one of the others. I picked up the K&N FIPKII. While the K&N kit's tubing is fine, the heat shield is pretty much worthless. My IATs jumped over 50 degrees on average, and I had to cut and bend plexiglass to get them back down. I lost about 2mpg in town due to the higher IATs after the K&N, but gained it back after sealing up the airbox better.

I intend to hollow out the stock airbox and try to plumb some cooler air into it from outside the engine compartment when I get some more free time. There are a few threads about it here if you search, and several pictures of what people have done.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
561 Posts
Volant appears to have the best setup as it comes out of the box, unless you intend to modify one of the others. I picked up the K&N FIPKII. While the K&N kit's tubing is fine, the heat shield is pretty much worthless. My IATs jumped over 50 degrees on average, and I had to cut and bend plexiglass to get them back down. I lost about 2mpg in town due to the higher IATs after the K&N, but gained it back after sealing up the airbox better.

I intend to hollow out the stock airbox and try to plumb some cooler air into it from outside the engine compartment when I get some more free time. There are a few threads about it here if you search, and several pictures of what people have done.
you lost 2mpg, If thats the case why do they say you gain. :xI just ordered my K&N yesterday you think i made a mistake.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
221 Posts
you lost 2mpg, If thats the case why do they say you gain. :xI just ordered my K&N yesterday you think i made a mistake.
I lost 2mpg in town, but the HP & throttle response definitely had a gain. Highway mileage was reduced a bit too, but not nearly as bad as in town. In town, there is much less airflow under the hood than on the highway, and as a result the IATs are closer to stock at highway speeds. The HP and response improvements come from eliminating the 2 stock black boxes and straightening the airflow. If you can get the IATs down, the gains would be greater and the mileage would be too. Cooler air = more power.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
2,461 Posts
I prefer the airaid, mostly be cause of looks. However, the air dam seals really well against the hood and teamed up with a pcm tune it makes a big diffrence.

·
Registered
159 Posts
1 - 20 of 78 Posts