Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ltz
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My o3 Trailblazer will have 50,000 miles on it soon (don't do a lot of driving and have a company vehicle for work). I'm going to change all the fluids when I get to 50,000 just because of the age...almost 6.5 years already. I have found a lot of discussion in the forums about the different ATF that is available but no real consensus. I will either use Mobil Dexron VI if I can find it, or the Mobil 1 ATF that's compatible with Dexron III, or Amsoil ATF, and now I see that Amsoil has a low viscosity ATF that they say is for Dexron VI applications. What is everyone using and why? I have a feeling that probably any of these would be great, but just want the best since I will probably keep my Trailblazer forever! Thanks in advance for any replies.

·
Basic Vendor- Skid Plates
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
3,700 Posts
ATF...
A - Yuengling Black and Tan, or Dos Equis
T - Don't smoke
F - Varies... XD45C, or AR-15 usually...

Oh... did you mean Automatic Transmission Fluid?? :D

Dex 6...

Mike

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
37 Posts
I have just under 52k miles on my '04 and I just flushed and filled with Dexron VI.

I am just a few weeks away from a 4000 mile round trip family vacation that will take us over the Rockies, so I opted to switch to Dexron VI.:)

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ltz
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ATF...
A - Yuengling Black and Tan, or Dos Equis
T - Don't smoke
F - Varies... XD45C, or AR-15 usually...

Oh... did you mean Automatic Transmission Fluid?? :D

Dex 6...

Mike
For me I think it's:
A-Whatever is being served
T- Only when a friend has a baby
F- I like sporting types....have several Remington rifles and shotguns and a Browning shotgun. Would like a .357 revolver!

·
Premium Member
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,422 Posts
i personaly am gona use amsoil. the SLV (low viscosity) ATF.

im gona switch all fluids to amsoil.
:iagree:I agree with the next oil change switching over from the Mobil 1 , and doing all the fluids as they come along. I just had the trans flushed and they used Valvoline Dexron VI so that will be awhile.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
58 Posts
I just changed mine last weekend. I used Valvoline VI with a WIX filter. The bottom of the pan didn't have much residue at all but my truck only has 35K on it. I could immediately tell it shifted smoother despite only doing a pan drop and not a total flush.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
190 Posts
all the above

Castrol MB1 Valvoline will work. I often wonder who makes all these fluids for these automotive corp. GM, Ford, Honda ect..... Texaco makes DEX-COOL for GM. Havoline makes Motorcraft oil for Ford.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
1,282 Posts
Ive been using SuperTechs Dexron since I bought my 'Voy in 2004.

Despite towing a 9000lb boat a few times a year (marina in the spring and storage in the fall), having 119,000 miles, it still shifts out great.

I change my trans fluid/filter every 15k. I also added an addt'l magnet in the trans pan.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
423 Posts
Ive been using SuperTechs Dexron since I bought my 'Voy in 2004.

Despite towing a 9000lb boat a few times a year (marina in the spring and storage in the fall), having 119,000 miles, it still shifts out great.

I change my trans fluid/filter every 15k. I also added an addt'l magnet in the trans pan.
why would you change your fluid ever 15k? if your worried about keeping the trany clean and fluid clear and new, why dont you get a trany flush, and change fluid and filter every 50k like the manual says?

if your having problems with your trany, no kind of fluid will fix it. it must be dropped and inspected cause every trany must be looked at on a case by case basis to ensure each rebuild meets the expectations of the owner.

ex. if you have slipping problems, that lucas oil stuff may help for a bit, but eventually you will have a failed trany, with some kind of physical internal failure, and the fluid would prob. not be the cause (unless your trany had no fluid hahaha).

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
1,282 Posts
why would you change your fluid ever 15k? if your worried about keeping the trany clean and fluid clear and new, why dont you get a trany flush, and change fluid and filter every 50k like the manual says?
Starting at age 9 and up until I was about 22, I worked in my Dads shop. Hes a trans rebuilder. We were very busy and the business entailed my Father who was the mastermind who would do the rebuilds themselves, my older Brother, myself, and a few other guys. We'd get overflows from dealerships, other trans shops, garages, and of course John Q's. I would pull and install the trans, do the pan drops, hook up the scan tool and get CVI's, etc... Anyways, 3/4 of trans that we got were never serviced, not serviced enough, or serviced incorrectly (i.e. not installing filter bushing or leaving cooling lines loose, etc).
if your having problems with your trany, no kind of fluid will fix it. it must be dropped and inspected cause every trany must be looked at on a case by case basis to ensure each rebuild meets the expectations of the owner.

ex. if you have slipping problems, that lucas oil stuff may help for a bit, but eventually you will have a failed trany, with some kind of physical internal failure, and the fluid would prob. not be the cause (unless your trany had no fluid hahaha).
My trans is fine, great actually. I did a pan drop last month and added another magnet for added insurance. I let this change interval go alittle farther (20k miles) and was still surprised to see very little clutch material in the pan and just a little crud on the magnet.

Those of us who actually know transmissions (and remember that the 4l60e is a fancy name for the 700r4) know that 15,000 miles might be slight overkill but is very cheap insurance given the price of trans fluid/filter (which I still get for n/c because my dad has a stash of unbelieveable porportions!) vs. the cost of a rebuild (we'd charge ~$1200 for a full /4l60/e rebuild back in the day less pull/install cost), is money well invested :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
1,282 Posts
so what interval would u suggest that would b a bit less over kill......every 35,000kms?
Hey, most people dont change until 50,000-75,000 miles and dont have any problems until .... ?

Anywhere from 30-50,000 kilometers would be slightly less overkill :D

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle
237 Posts
I'm about to upgrade the trans parts and am trying to decide what atf to use I can only find two quarts of rp atf and napa only has wolf's head. Maybe wallmart has amsoil atf.

My question is what atf should I use and can you use DexronVI in replace of DexronIII?

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
I'm about to upgrade the trans parts and am trying to decide what atf to use I can only find two quarts of rp atf and napa only has wolf's head. Maybe wallmart has amsoil atf.

My question is what atf should I use and can you use DexronVI in replace of DexronIII?
Yes. DexronVI is backwards compatable. From all accounts the Dexron VI makes the trans shift better.:m2:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts