Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
k ive looked and looked and cant seem to find a "How to" on removing the starter. everyone just seams to take it to a dealership. the reason im asking is because one day i went outside and the tb didnt start. after a couple of second of playing with the key it turned on. so i looked it up on trailvoy.com and diagnosed it was the ig switch. had to wait for the part to come in 2days. i replaced it and found that the battery had gone dead. jumped the battery and still nothing. its been parked for 2weeks and tired of not being able to drive it. anyone have any suggestions that could help me or a how to on the starter..

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
156 Posts
It's two bolts and two cables as I recall. Nobody with tools would go to the dealer for that I hope. MUCH easier than ignition switch to replace.

Begin at the starter and check the connections backwards first. I had a bad connection that left me dead in the water last spring. If you have access to a voltmeter, I can link you to the prcedure to determine if the problem is the starter, solenoid, or before that.... That way you're not replacing good parts to determine the problem (that's probibly what the dealer would do, then charge you and keep you old parts lol).

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
2,667 Posts
Yeah I don't remember ever seeing a write up for the starter. There have really only been a handful of people that had to replace their starter. Lots replaced the ignition switch (some multiple times).

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ltz
35 Posts
Hey SmallTown, I would verify that the battery is good first. Is the battery original? Also, if you're in a cold climate the battery life is shortened. Good luck and have a nice day.

Dave

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ltz
35 Posts
If the battery is really drained down, it can take a while for the good battery jumping the car (assuming the car jumping the TB is running) to charge up the bad battery. If the TB's battery has failed, like a shorted cell, then jumping may not work. I've had this happen before. Anyway, I wanted to explain why I thought the battery could be at fault. Have a nice day. :)

Dave

1 - 7 of 7 Posts