Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_ss_3ss
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read all the topics on here about converting the factory trailer wiring harness from 7 to a 4 pin but i dont know which one to buy. There are 7 way round, 7 way round RV then some say blade and some dont. All i need is someone to tell me which exact part will work and where to get it and i would be very grateful.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was really wondering what type of 7 pin connection this is. Some look like they have round pins others look like flat pins and there is another one that i think might be the right one which is called a 7 RV. Any idea?

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,436 Posts
It's called the "Bargman" standard after one of the vendors.

Some good data here. http://www.marksrv.com/wiring.htm

Go look at what you have on the back of the vehicle to know what it plugs into!

The connector body is round, there are six flat bladed connector receptacles arranged in a circle, and one round receptacle in the middle. The trailer side connector, or adapter, that plugs into that looks like this.

It's really not that difficult, since Walmart and almost all trailer and RV stores, only stock one kind of 7-pin connector anymore. You do, however, need to know what sort of 4-pin connector your trailer has, but you have the trailer already (and we don't) so we can't guarantee anything. There is a standard for 4-pin connectors, but it's not as much of a universal standard as the 7-pin one that's on the vehicle.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The one that you have pictured is actually not the correct plug. The one that is required, at least the one that is on my SS, is call a 7 way RV connector. It has small blades that plug into the slots on the wiring on the truck it also has a guide that goes into the clip on the wiring socket and has a triangle inside which mates up to the triangle on the inside of the plug on the truck. I got it from Auto Barn/Auto Zone for about 20 bucks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Inexpensive Solutions

RV-to-4 pin adapters are available in several flavors at Tractor Supply - both website and local stores. What sells for $22.99 at Auto Zone is $8.99 at Tractor Supply. Incredible!

Go here for TSC trailer wiring items: http://tinyurl.com/mf2nbs.

Here are the individual SKUs and prices for RV plugs with 4-wire dongles: #0143248 - $7.99; #0143507 - $8.99; #1040435 - $8.99; and #1400130 - $10.99.

I bought the adaptor with LEDs that verify connection - #1040435, $8.99 - and also got a 12" 4-wire extension ($3.99) to provide some slack when connecting to the boat trailer. Saved 10% by using the promotion code TSCSAVE.

They have a variety of other adaptors for 6-pin rigs and complete mounting kits, etc., plus good pricing on soft-eye dock lines if you're a boater.

Happy Towing!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.