Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I am new to this forum and need your help for a very tricky problem. I have a 2004 trailblazer whose dash gages and warning lights are intermitint. When I start up, sometimes all is normal. Other times nothing lights up, and it doesent seem to be going through its start up checks. Then riding dowm the road, I hear a bing bing, the lights come on and flash, and the speedo starts, tach comes on, and all is well. Then sometime later the dash shuts down. There is also a wirring sound when it starts up correctly while going down the road. Am at a loss. Looking for a voodoo doctor if ones availible. Thanks Guys Paul the hopeless. :bonk:

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
179 Posts
First off, welcome to the forum! As for your cluster issue, I myself am having issues with my gauges aswell. It is not this bad, but there is a whirring noise like you describe. It sounds as though there may be a lose connection in the wiring, or a short somewhere, I am not sure how to correct it though (im not good at the whole wiring thing)! As for the whirring noise, that is a common problem in trailblazers, the most likely culprit, is the stepper motor, a motor that moves the neddles. If you do a search on those motors, there is information on how to change it out. Good luck, once again welcome, and let us know what happens.

·
Registered
2009 chevy
6,431 Posts
Guys, the most likely suspect, is a faulty ignition switch. Very common problem when things that should be "on" when the truck is running are turning on/off/on.

As for a noise, that as guitarplayr92m suggests, might be a stepper motor an other very common gm problem.

The ignition switch is a $20, 15 min fix, the stepper $$$$$$$$$$$$$.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
If I am not mistaken, if you are not shy of a little soldering and a bit of meching around in your dash, you can get the steppers on ebay and do a fairly cheap stepper replacement yourself.

Everything else he said is right on the button.

·
Registered
997 Posts
RayVoy and KHill are right on the money. Gauges moving individually erratically (and usually reading much higher than normal) are a sign of stepper motors.

An entire cluster, including warning lights ALL acting wonky is a sign of an ignition switch.

Bout a beer-and-a-half job.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.