Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Premium Member
'05 TB 4.2 EXT
6,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for the ambient temp sensor wire --- which I BELIEVE is supposed to be between the left inner fender and the fuse/relay box.

I've looked and I can't find anything without getting serious and starting to take a lot of things apart.

Anyone know the colors of the wires even?

· Premium Member
'05 TB 4.2 EXT
6,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A single wire?

The sensor - which I bought to install is two-wire, but the connex is not part of the package, although I bet the replacement connex will be 2-white ... or 2-black wires.

I've had the grill off (again!) and there's the hole the sensor sits in in the middle brace of the radiator support, but no nearby wires with connex ends on them anyway!

· Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
2,163 Posts
My 2002 ambient temperature sensor wiring split off something in the area of the cooling fan connection, forward of the battery. Cannot remember precisely which harness it split off from though.

· Premium Member
'05 TB 4.2 EXT
6,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Was it sky'd out there and visible?

I really really really want to know because we're getting snow right now and I want to know if getting cold, wet and miserable --- if it is productive --- .....

· Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
2,163 Posts
So here is my sensor and the hole it should be stuck into (but isn't)...

Automotive lighting Vehicle door Tints and shades Automotive design Automotive exterior

And the wiring is split out from the very same harness that goes to the fan speed harness connector on the radiator shroud. The lead from the split to the sensor is only maybe 8 inches long??

Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Bumper Material property

Now this is on a 2002 made in October of 2001. Who knows if it was later changed. Also if it matters I have to CJ2 Automatic HVAC controls. That is what my sensor is wired to, the HVAC control. I see NO ambient temperature sensor for the manual controlled A/C systems in witing diagrams.

· Registered
Trailblazer 2008 LTZ (4.2L) (Destroed) :(( Now Trailblazer SS (2006) AWD
345 Posts

· Premium Member
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
3,439 Posts
Ravalli, it looks like you are looking for 2 wires - a brown wire and a light green/black wire. As others have said it is (or at least should be) located on the upper left side of the grill a little bit to the passenger side of the support.

I'm attaching an image to assist.

Attachments

Reactions: Ravalli Surfer

· Premium Member
'05 TB 4.2 EXT
6,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
1. It snowed last night - not much - but aggravatingly-so.... things are wet and muddy ... and drippy
2. Once I decide if this is a 'Pants Day' versus a 'Bathrobe Day' --- and Pants win, then I'll go out and look for a purple ANYTHING under the hood.

· Premium Member
'05 TB 4.2 EXT
6,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OK --- I was out there today - didn't like the cold, but got used to it.

REPORT FOLLOWS:

I cannot find any wires, connectors or 'break-outs' from any looms that might have held those wires - anywhere. I pulled the grill and looked behind the headlights and pretty much everywhere - but i DID find a convenient hole in which the new sensor will pop into .... (never use a preposition to end a sentence with!)

I have a new sensor to install and no place to install it.

· Premium Member
'05 TB 4.2 EXT
6,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ahaaaaaa!

I see now .... it's not a 2-pin stand-alone connector! .... the actual connector is mulitpin and I'm supposed to use just two of the positions in it!

I was specifically looking for a single plug, not THAT connector with the purple locks on it.

My bad ..... and thanks for being kind.

· Premium Member
'05 TB 4.2 EXT
6,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ravalli, it looks like you are looking for 2 wires - a brown wire and a light green/black wire. As others have said it is (or at least should be) located on the upper left side of the grill a little bit to the passenger side of the support.

I'm attaching an image to assist.
Found it! To the LEFT side of the radiator support!

I had a new sensor: installed it ..... and now I'm off chasing wabbits! (Rearview mirrors)

· Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
36 Posts
OK --- I was out there today - didn't like the cold, but got used to it.

but i DID find a convenient hole in which the new sensor will pop into .... (never use a preposition to end a sentence with!)
"into which the new sensor will pop." and "never use a preposition to end a sentence" OR "never end a sentence with a preposition."

Or are you just screwing with us and had to struggle to create the errant sentence?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts