Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got an 02 LTZ with 95K on it. About 8-9 months ago, I noticed that I was losing a bit of oil and every few months I'd have to put in a quart or two. The other day I was under the truck and noticed that I had oil droplets forming on my drain plug (my guard has long been missing thanks to a quickie oil change joint), so there must be an oil leak somewhere.

What are the most common places for oil leaks on the TBs? Which can be fixed by someone with mediocre experience and which should be brought to a mechanic/dealer?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2007 isuzu ascender
403 Posts
i had the front timing cover cracked right from factory,,was leaking ,they kept thinking it was front crankseal.but it was not

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep. Oil has coated the area above the drain plug, too. It's definitely dripping down from higher up and slowly making it's way down to the lowest point, which happens to be the plug.

I guess maybe I should get some cleaner and clean up the engine. Maybe then I'll be able to see where it's coming from.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
5,267 Posts
138,000 miles here--- and no oil leakage that would cause dripping....

You say youre losing 1-2 quarts.. thats alot...
Are you sure the quick lube place is putting in 7 quarts of oil? (theyve been known to put in less oil- like on the GM V6's that take 4 or 5 qts).

Depending on your engines oil consumption.. (the I6 does not burn much oil).
It may be a good Idea to do you own oil changes- and measure the amount of oil that comes out.

Ive done several oil changes where the oil had over 10,500 miles where I removed 6.5-6.75 quarts of oil....
A few times I removed maybe 6 quarts....
But overall my engine uses very little oil for the amount of mileage its in there.

so - verify theyre putting in 7 qts.
and yeah- clean the area- and then let us know what you find.
I havent heard to many stories of oil leaks on here...
usually we find oil has pooled in the spark plug holes after 100K.
and a member had oil leaks on some main seal...

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. All good suggestions. Not sure I want to get into the business of changing my own oil, though.

The way I found out was the Check Oil Level message would come on the DIC. I'd put in two quarts, drive a few more months, then it would come on again and I'd have to add more oil. There's definitely a leak. I'm planning on taking it on a couple trips (11 hours and 7 hours) in the very near future and will just have to bring along extra oil until I find out what the problem. I'll probably try to clean it up before the first trip at the end of the month. With the extra running time, I'm sure I'll be able to find something.

The engine still runs really well and there's no smoke coming from the exhaust, so I don't think it's the head gasket.

Anyone know what it costs to replace the main seal?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, so I was under the car today changing out the front sway bar links and bushings and gave it a look. The oil is definitely coming from the front of the engine and dripping down. The whole top side of the engine looks clean, as does the bottom rear and the oil pain seal. The only other thing left I think that's external would be the timing cover seal.

Quite honestly, I don't know what's involved in that. Is that something that someone with mediocre experience can change or is that something that's best left to a shop? Anybody know how much that usually runs to replace?

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
161 Posts
If you dont want to change your own oil, you shouldnt try something like this. no idea on how much, could call a shop and get a quote.

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
2,369 Posts
when i bought mine in november of 2008, it came with an oil leak. it was leaking between the engine and the transmission, and it was oil. The gasket that was bad: $40.00. Labor: over $1000. The dealer wouldn't cover the whole thing, but charged 500, and i only had to pay 200, with a free rental van. hasn't leaked since then.

·
Registered
2007 isuzu ascender
403 Posts
ive had the front crank seal done three times..only took a couple hours at dealer.. had oil pan, front cover resealed,,took about 8 hours labor so the dealer told me. when they had to replace front cover,reseal, and reseal oil pan again, on warranty paper work, it was 10 hours labor..hope this helps

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, it does. Thanks, everyone.

I think for the next six months or so, I'm going to watch it and put oil in as needed. Then I'll get that taken care of as well as the horrible vibration that the engine makes when the car is cold - which just started a few days ago. Lots of surprises.

·
Registered
2007 isuzu ascender
403 Posts
my guess would be front crank seal. so i dont think it will be that bad. two different dealer said they had seen this..the cracked front timing cover was the first they had seen... kind of rare.

·
Premium Member
2007 chevy trailblazer_ss_1ss
1,852 Posts
Oil leaks are very rare on these trucks (which is a good thing). I have only ever seen one of these trucks leak oil, and it was from the front cover. Another thing though, that "quickie oil change place" probably was not cleaning up the oil mess from the filter change, so I would clean everything up really well and then keep an eye on it to try and pin point where it's coming from. If it is the front cover, I would recommend you take it to the dealer since they know these engines better than anyone. I would be willing to bet VERY few other shops have actually done any "major" work on these engines.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
2 Posts
Oil leak 02 trailblazer ls i6 4x4

My truck is leaking oil and its leaking next to the actuator which is located in the front right side of the engine and im really concerned i was told that it could be a cracked oil pan, i wanna know how could it be resolved so i could fix it before the winter comes please and thank you

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
24 Posts
I'm have a 2002 TB with a constant oil leak. More noticeable after driving and then it will drop on the passenger side. I thought was the filter leaking but after changing and rinsing down, it still leaks. It looks like it is coming from higher up and is getting on the serp belt. Maybe in front at the top of the timing cover but I cannot see an active leak there when I look. Any ideas???

·
Registered
1 Posts
Got an 02 LTZ with 95K on it. About 8-9 months ago, I noticed that I was losing a bit of oil and every few months I'd have to put in a quart or two. The other day I was under the truck and noticed that I had oil droplets forming on my drain plug (my guard has long been missing thanks to a quickie oil change joint), so there must be an oil leak somewhere.

What are the most common places for oil leaks on the TBs? Which can be fixed by someone with mediocre experience and which should be brought to a mechanic/dealer?

Thanks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts