Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a new 2006Trailblazer a couple of month's ago.
Now that winter is starting to creep into the Ohio valley, I would like to know under what conditions do I switch from 2 wheel drive to all-wheel-drive?

·
West Chapter
2005 gmc envoy_denali_xl
3,398 Posts
Do you have the option for automatic 4wd (A4WD)?.....I have the option for 2HI, A4WD, 4HI, and 4LO....in your owners manual, it should explain what conditions are best suited for each option. When I went to the mountains I set mine to A4WD and my traction was fine, my Voy was able to apply 4WD when needed.

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
What he said!

No TB/Voy has fulltime All Wheel Drive (except for you lucky SS owners!), they have 2WD (rear axle only supplies power) or 4WD (rear axle fulltime with front optionally powered). Some other GMT-360/370s do have real AWD, just cant remember which ones do. (I think the Bravada and the Ranier have the option, but really cant remember correctly.)

The settings of A4WD, 4HI, and 4LO are used as so:
A4WD- rear wheels fulltime, front wheels on "alert" for slippage, will apply front power as needed to compensate for rear wheel slip.
4HI- All 4 wheels powered, transfer case can shift power between front and rear according to conditions (I think about the power transfer part)
4LO- Use in very slow conditions, all four wheels powered, but mainly used for getting out of a very steep ramp at the boat launch or getting out of really deep mud or similar.

2HI is regular rear wheels powered.

·
Registered
11 Posts
ScarabEpic22 said:
What he said!

A4WD- rear wheels fulltime, front wheels on "alert" for slippage, will apply front power as needed to compensate for rear wheel slip.
4HI- All 4 wheels powered, transfer case can shift power between front and rear according to conditions (I think about the power transfer part)
4LO- Use in very slow conditions, all four wheels powered, but mainly used for getting out of a very steep ramp at the boat launch or getting out of really deep mud or similar.

2HI is regular rear wheels powered.
There is no shifting of power between front and rear in the 4HI or 4LO positions. In these positions the transfer case is locked and it is a 50/50 split between front and rear.

Wxman

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
I use A4wd whenever it rains alittle, anytime I think I'll need alittle grip... light snow conditions... anytime you think you might have the possibility of slippage

·
Banned
2005 gmc trailblazer_lt
515 Posts
On a similar subject, can A4WD be used when you want more grip when "taking off"? I know that some cars with AWD boast their abilities to get good grip when taking off from a stop or slow speed, I was wondering if this is a viable option in the Trailvoy or if it will damage something?

Of course I don't race around in my TB, just curious :D

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
Wxman said:
There is no shifting of power between front and rear in the 4HI or 4LO positions. In these positions the transfer case is locked and it is a 50/50 split between front and rear.

Wxman
Thanks, I couldnt remember if it was able to transfer power or not, now I know for sure!

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,293 Posts
Auto4 can also be used at any speed - can be done on the fly

4high is restricted to 55mph - can be done on the fly

4low is restricted to 35mph - and requires the vehicle to be in neutral to transfer

I use auto 4 during any rain or snow. Use 4high for snow covered roads 1inch or greater

I've used 4 low like twice, for very rough terrain

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
Fortunately, Ive never had to use 4LO, except for just trying it out for the heck of it.:D
But, yea, the benefit of A4WD is it can be activated on the fly, as homertime said. Very nice when youre cruising down the highway going 75 and need some protection for the upcoming roadway (after slowing down, of course).

·
Registered
227 Posts
Using 4WD high or low for an extended time on dry roads or "normal" conditions can cause excess wear and tear on the drive train components. I think, of course just my opinion, the delay time for the front wheels to catch in A4WD is almost to long. It takes a couple of seconds from when the back wheels break traction. It's better than nothing, though, I suppose.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
3,219 Posts
yeah any time the ground is wet i put on the A4WD...especially now that their are leaves all over the ground. 4High when there is snow built up on the ground. I haven't used 4Lo yet.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I'll keep it on 2WD unless the roads are slippery. I stay off A4WD unless really need it to preserve the life of the transfer. 4WD on dry pavement the wheels can lock up easily on a turn. Can't way to go skiing this winter:)

·
Registered
15 Posts
canadian winters 4wd

its fairly straight forward for me
2wd dry roads wet roads above freezing
awd wet roads light snow 32f or below
but when snow on roads 4hi max 50mph speed
4lo never only once when i had to drive in about 3 feet of snow for about 3 miles very slow parked tb at bar stayed there for 2 days5mph:rotfl:
icy roads stay home

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
dach95 said:
I'll keep it on 2WD unless the roads are slippery. I stay off A4WD unless really need it to preserve the life of the transfer. 4WD on dry pavement the wheels can lock up easily on a turn. Can't way to go skiing this winter:)
Yea, skiing!!!

Ive already been to Stevens Pass (a Harbor Resort) this year, and it was great!!!

Also, driving in A4WD, at least for me reduces my gas mileage by a mile or two. I accidently had it in A4WD for about 10 mi, and no, the front never engaged, but my mileage was horrible!

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
8,770 Posts
We got some snow yesterday so we put it in 4hi. Sweet traction, especially on turns :yes:

·
Banned
2005 gmc trailblazer_lt
515 Posts
Dacomputernerd said:
I dont think it has full-time AWD...

Isn't "AWD" and "4WD/4x4" completely different technologies
I know that my Mother's old Bravada used to have full time AWD, and her current SRX does too.

I don't know the mechanics of it, just today I learned that the drive shaft is on the side of our trucks :duh: :duh: but I believe they are different. I always heard that AWD wasn't as good as 4WD.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts