Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

Wheel stuck/seized

9K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  the roadie 
#1 ·
Hello gentlemen,

I have a 2004 trailblazer LS Stock with 1302xxxx miles and I am trying to replace the brake pads and I can't get the front left wheel off. Any suggestions on how to get the wheel lose?

Thanks
Guy

#3 ·
Try some PB Blaster on the studs that may penetrate to the hub. Otherwise get a 4X4 or sledge hammer to the tire from the inside.

One of the benefits of rotating tires regularly is to prevent long-time corrosion stickiness like this. When was the last time you rotated them? You might also spray some WD40 on the hub and wheel mounting surface (not the studs!) when you reassemble it.

#6 ·
you need to use a the BFH (big f***ing hammer). when you reassemble put some anti-seize on the hub and wheel mounting surface. Dont get any on the studs. you will never have this problem agian

#10 ·
I prefer to use a sack of puppies........

Just kidding, my wife didn't think it was funny either!!
You need a big hammer, a block of wood and hit it from the inside! Be careful not to miss and hit the rim....not good.:thumbsup:

#11 ·
Whoa! Don't try the BFH. If you hit the rim you take a chance on damaging it.

The condition you describe is not unusual. When two different metals such as copper & steel or aluminum & steel contact each other when rain water & some salt are added they will react in what is called a galvanic reaction.
In a sense they will weld themselves together.
Here in the rust belt it's common.

I have a large hard rubber mallet. The head is hollow & filled with steel shot. It's called a "dead-blow hammer". Hitting the tire (in a few places around the rim) will usually break it loose. Sometimes you have to also hit the outside portion of the tire.

My S-10 would do that until I started to use an antiseize compound on the back of the rim wherever it contacted the steel hub.

#13 ·
Thanks

Thanks for all the replies, even the sarcastic ones :).. I will try to find one of those dead blow hammers and use that.

I am due for new tires and shocks, so as a last resort I will have them replaced and then replace the brakes.

Thanks again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.