Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2009 chevy trailblazer_lt
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to do a front wheel speed sensor fix as my 2009 has the ABS engaging at slow speeds while stopping. I checked and there is plenty of rust on the hub. Pretty sure this thread describes my fix forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=94580

So I jack up the front end, remove the tire, caliper, and rotor to get at the wheel speed sensor. But when I went to remove the cap screw I was surprised to see the cap screw is a five sided allen key! WTF!!! I've been wrenching on cars for two decades and it's rare I come across a specialty tool I haven't amassed over the years. This has got to be the dumbest fastener I've ever seen.

I did some internet searching and found sometimes these things are called Pentagon bits. I've been to every auto store in the area and no one carries these things. Closest I have found is a 5 sided torx anti-tamper, but these are star shaped and I'm not sure they will grab the flat walls of the cap screw. Can't even find a source online like SnapOn.

This is an OEM AC Delco hub, and I can't find a GM specialty tool either.

So my question is where can I find a tool to remove this wheel speed sensor?

I'm about to go buy an el cheapo flathead screwdriver and grind it down enough to fit, but would rather do this right.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
3 Posts
Did you have any luck finding the correct tool? I ran into this last night on mine. I have a complete security bit set and nothing was even close!! I'm getting ready to start my search for the correct tool.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's not the correct tool but I found a set of 5 sided torx security bits on Amazon that worked. It was $20 from Anytime Tools, 11 piece 5 sided security bit set.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
2,567 Posts
Where has everyone been? It's an allen wrench or hex wrench, been around for long time. Any parts store, hardware store or Sears carries them. I think the one for the speed sensor is a 3/8".

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Where has everyone been? It's an allen wrench or hex wrench, been around for long time. Any parts store, hardware store or Sears carries them. I think the one for the speed sensor is a 3/8".
It's most definitely not a six sided hex allen cap screw on my 2009. It absolutely has 5 sides, and take a pentagon bit. I was able to make it work with a torx security TS30 bit. Please see attached pic.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts