Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One more question before I start ordering all my parts :) is there any way I can use wheel spacers larger than the 1.5" that every seems to have? I REALLY REALLY want a wide ride stance for ball joint clear and other clearance reassuring (and besides it looks really cool hahah). Id like to talk to the gentleman than everyone here seems to talk to (i cant remember his name off the top of my head but Ive found many posts with the info) and ask him if he can create like a 3" spacer. Thanks again!!

BTW I want spacers that big until I can afford different offset sized rims. Other poor college students will understand what I mean :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
2,636 Posts
One more question before I start ordering all my parts :) is there any way I can use wheel spacers larger than the 1.5" that every seems to have? I REALLY REALLY want a wide ride stance for ball joint clear and other clearance reassuring (and besides it looks really cool hahah). Id like to talk to the gentleman than everyone here seems to talk to (i cant remember his name off the top of my head but Ive found many posts with the info) and ask him if he can create like a 3" spacer. Thanks again!!

BTW I want spacers that big until I can afford different offset sized rims. Other poor college students will understand what I mean :thumbsup:
In theory the spacer can be any size, they are all made to order... however, if you think about it, the spacer effectively changes your wheel backspacing. I've never seen wheels our size with less than 3" of backspacing. There are two reasons. First, as you increase the length, you increase the moment arm on the front wheel bearing. This may cause faster degradation of the bearing. The other issue is that you increase your scrub radius. That factors into two things, tie rod stress and how much of your fenders you will need to cut. So, sure you can order a wheel spacer larger than 1.5", but there are no functional benefits.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
The spacer guy is Fred Goeske. You can call and think you'll get off the phone in 3 minutes, and a hour later you're still hearing his life story.

Anyway - just think about spacers that are 12" thick to visualize the problem. The tires go WAY forward and back, which is great for ball joint clearance but HORRIBLE for fender and bumper clearance.

Keep to 1.5" thick. It's optimum. Looking cool has ZERO value in this forum. Beware if Garfield hears you saying that. Oops too late. You woke him up.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
hahahah this is a very good point. James thanks for the tech advice!! Roadie, I was actually inspired for a wider stance after looking at your Envoy. With the backspacing on the rims you have combined with the 1.5" spacer you have, your tires are sitting out about what? 3.5" from stock? Correct? I may be off, Im not all that sure, but I know your set up looks awesome hahah...i wanna be like Roadie lol. thats all

to be more precise I thought I read that roadie has a setup with a 0.00mm offset (stock being 50mm, which is about a 2" difference, thats where I got the 3.5" from). Please excuse me if I am using the wrong words in the wrong places hahah

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BTW, correct me if Im wrong, (i am a newb) but I believe the offset of the stock envoy rims are about 6" correct? So in theory I could order a 3" wheel spacer and still be in the clear, correct?

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
2,636 Posts
BTW, correct me if Im wrong, (i am a newb) but I believe the offset of the stock envoy rims are about 6" correct? So in theory I could order a 3" wheel spacer and still be in the clear, correct?
It all depends on how you define "in the clear". Yeah, you will certainly clear the ball joint, but you'll be running your tire into your fender.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ahhh damn, i was hoping that wouldnt be an issue. damn stupid fenders, ughhh why dont engineers just design these cars to be able to fit the coolest baddest tires out there on the market. reasonably of course depending on the car, a sports car let it fit some crazy wide 315 low profile size tires. And with big trucks and SUV's why not design them to fit some 36"x11.5 tires hahahah, even the mini vans too!!! I guess im just asking too too much

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
...your tires are sitting out about what? 3.5" from stock? Correct? I may be off, Im not all that sure, but I know your set up looks awesome hahah...i wanna be like Roadie lol. thats all
The Mojave wheels have a 15mm offset, IIRC. I have way more ball joint clearance than I need. Regrettable, but I needed 8" wide rims instead of the stock 7" for the tires I wanted for this MT setup. Next set of tires will be even more extreme, but not for width.

I have another Garfield for ya:

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
all depends on what size tire your putting under there. I think stock 245 would stick out past the fender with a 1.5" spacer?? i really shouldnt be answering questions yet hahah

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
I know its not ORR... but since aftermarket rims for these bastards are few and far between I would like to change the BP.. (and it is about wheel adapters/spacers)

I know that without the 1.5 inches the offset would typically be 30 or 35mm but with 1.5 inches less to work with I am thinking maybe 45 to 50mm of offset?? :confused:

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
It entirely depends on the rim width. OEM is 7". Many folks go to 8" to fit wider tires, and then you get 1/2" more rim each side of the centerline. So you have to factor the rim width, spacer thickness, and wheel backspacing, PLUS the diameter and tread width of the particular tire you're considering (and they're not all sized exactly what the nominal size would lead you to believe.)

There's a lot of math going on to predict success or failure with upsized tires.

Did you think we just bash around on the rocks for fun with no engineering involved? :crackup:

Ideally, with 8" wide rims, with 1.5" spacers, and 265mm max tread width, I think (but you can't take this SWAG to the bank) you'd want to target close to 5.5" backspacing, which is about 50mm offset on an 8" rim. But those are really hard to find, since those 6X5.5" wheels are mostly going to vehicles without our ball joint issues, and they are being made with 5-15mm offset, which is 4" backspacing and then they stick out more than they need to.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Garfield, for once, is speechless. We don't even CONSIDER 9.5" rims around these parts, stranger. Beyond our experience. Actually, Markmc might have gone to 9" to fit his 35's. I forget, and I have to get some sleep - leaving tomorrow AM for Utah.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
269 Posts
with 1.5" adapters almost all wheels will stick out past the fender. The offset my H3 wheels are +37, which I believe are the same as the stock offset on our wheels. (almost every non-bling'd aftermarket wheel will have an offset closer to neutral.) With the 285's I have about 1-2"in of rubber that protrude from my wheel wells, and that is with +37 offset. :m2:

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
432 Posts
replacing rear coil shocks with z71 tahoe coils?

I have an 04 Envoy and recently put in the rough country strut spacer lift 2"/.78". I am now hearing a weird sound in the rear that only happens when articulating the rear components. I retightened and greased all movable bolts and joints and still hear it. The sound actually sounds like the shocks have taken a turn for the worst. It sounds like a bed that squeeks really loud that is full of water...if that makes any sense. Anyway, I was thinking that it could be the coil spacer disc that sits on top of the coil and it could be sliding around a bit. I wanted to eliminate the disc and replace the coils with the tahoe coils that are off the 04 z71 model..Would those coils fit? Would it give my Envoy more lift in the rear? What do you think that sound could be?

·
Banned
2006 chevy
1,659 Posts
I have an 04 Envoy and recently put in the rough country strut spacer lift 2"/.78". I am now hearing a weird sound in the rear that only happens when articulating the rear components. I retightened and greased all movable bolts and joints and still hear it. The sound actually sounds like the shocks have taken a turn for the worst. It sounds like a bed that squeeks really loud that is full of water...if that makes any sense. Anyway, I was thinking that it could be the coil spacer disc that sits on top of the coil and it could be sliding around a bit. I wanted to eliminate the disc and replace the coils with the tahoe coils that are off the 04 z71 model..Would those coils fit? Would it give my Envoy more lift in the rear? What do you think that sound could be?
From my reading here Z71 Avalanche/Tahoe springs will give you about 1-1.5" of lift, but most people use 07+ springs. I know regulator1175 used spring from a older Avalanche, so you could give it a try. It also seems to be a consensus that the Z71 spring ride a little hash if your not adding weight to the rear or towing.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.