Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:duh:

·
Registered
2007 gmc
159 Posts
I completely agree ....but the GM service manual says 13 lb ft. Either way, it's the same answer.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:thx i used 14 the amount that made them open but i will re fasten them @ 13 lb ft thanks for the big help

·
Registered
2009 chevy
6,431 Posts
:thx i used 14 the amount that made them open but i will re fasten them @ 13 lb ft thanks for the big help
Alex, that might not be a good idea.
The "crush" washer (on the plug) might leak if you reset to 13. The washer was "crushed" to 14 and might be loose at 13.

That's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I completely agree ....but the GM service manual says 13 lb ft. Either way, it's the same answer.
My frind why user manual dont say any thing about plug torque?can you send me a copy of your service manual?if its digital book thanks in advance?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Alex, that might not be a good idea.
The "crush" washer (on the plug) might leak if you reset to 13. The washer was "crushed" to 14 and might be loose at 13.

That's just my opinion, I could be wrong.
Dear sir i bought AC DELCO plugs and they dont have washers i am confused of fastning i know vortic is alomnium and i afraid of making a bad move and destroy the machine plz help me professional ingine guys any body help thanks.

Alex
Kurdistan Erbil

·
Registered
2009 chevy
6,431 Posts
Alex, sorry, I may be confusing you. This "crush" washer is a gasket for the plug. It is a loose washer on some plugs and part of the plug body on others. You are correct, the 4.2 plugs have it as part of the plug.

However, my observation still applies. At 14 lbs, the gasket may be compressed too much to properly seal at only 13 lbs.

If it was me, I'd leave them alone.

But, someone with more plug knowledge may read this and help us out.

By the way, did you use any anti-seize paste on the plugs?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alex, sorry, I may be confusing you. This "crush" washer is a gasket for the plug. It is a loose washer on some plugs and part of the plug body on others. You are correct, the 4.2 plugs have it as part of the plug.

However, my observation still applies. At 14 lbs, the gasket may be compressed too much to properly seal at only 13 lbs.

If it was me, I'd leave them alone.

But, someone with more plug knowledge may read this and help us out.

By the way, did you use any anti-seize paste on the plugs?
No i did not use any thing on the plugs just checking gap @0.040 inches and they were set to the same but what to say the plug is made in japan! Do you belive that and its AC DELCO.

·
Registered
2009 chevy
6,431 Posts
No i did not use any thing on the plugs just checking gap @0.040 inches and they were set to the same but what to say the plug is made in japan! Do you belive that and its AC DELCO.
OK, good.

The anti-seize paste should be used, you just need a small tube.

When the plugs and heads are made of different metals, the paste will prevent the metals from re-acting with each other.

Now the good news. The plugs will turn easier with the paste applied. So, plugs with paste and 13 lbs will turn more than plugs without paste and 14 lbs. What I'm saying, is remove your plugs, apply paste and re-torque to 13 lbs and you should be good to go.

I am surprised that they were made in Japan. These days, everything is made in China.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
you are right i will buy the paste and do them all

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
It's been awhile since I changed my plugs, but I thought we have tapered seats with no washer.:confused:

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
1,380 Posts
Both, the set of Bosches I bought by mistake and the AC-Delcos, din't have a crush washer and you would also want to use the anti-seize if the head is aluminum (which I think they all are) so as to not gall the material and remember to never remove the plugs if the engine is hot.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts