Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I gave up on the 5w30 after my TB started with an annoying tick a few oil changes back. Now I used 10w40, south Florida where we have just come out of 40*F weather and next week will probably have 80*F weather. Half a quart of lucas every oil change as well.

How about you?

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
525 Posts
Im due for an OC now, I am currently using Castrol Syntec Blend 5w30 but going to be making the switch to full synthetic. Just under 80k and no problems.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
167 Posts
I use Amsoil Signature series 0W30 and it has been great. The extend oil changes are only a bonus. Good luck in your oil choice. I have used in my car with no issues and it has over 200k miles on it.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like my oil to come out of the ground lol. I used royal purple (at $8.00 a quart) in a Jeep WJ I owned and only got 72k out of a 4.0 liter when I had at least 3 XJs with 4.0's go 150k before I sold them and one go 220k before I sold it, using dino oil

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
2,667 Posts
I have only used 5W-30. I've never seen a reason to use anything else. It protects well even in the 115 degree heat of Southern Ca. and Arizona deserts.

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
6 Posts
5W-30 or 10W-30

Typically 5W-30 will give a good balance of engine protection and fuel economy. But, if you live in a hotter climate and/or plan to put the engine under more stressful driving condition, you might want to consider 10W-30.

Other than these two grades, I don't know what is acceptable for the 4.2 I6 engine. And ALWAYS use an oil that carries the GM spec GM6094M. I stick with Mobil-1 or Castrol Semi-Synthetic.

Good Luck.

Tony...

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
4 Posts
New owner here and mine has 150k on it and im thinking of putting 10w-30 in it since it has over 100k miles in it and Im here in the carolina where it gets hot during the summer months and in the 30-40s on average in the winter months.

Anyone think I should still use 5w-30 ?

·
Registered
525 Posts
I think the 5w30 would be best. It gives good protection in the warmer months and has a thinner viscosity to facilitate cold weather starts etc. :m2:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm in need of my first oil change I'm mostly in cold weather which would be best from my truck 5w30 or the 10w30

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
28 Posts
I've always used 5w-30, but now high mileage type since 75K miles...I'm at 120K miles now. OEM oil filter, too. Still running strong & reliable for me.

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_ss_3ss
1 Posts
Oil issue

I use Royal Purple 5w 30. Hell I live in Chicago.. So Your 40 degrees.. OOOOOOOOO. LOL .. But Purple is great .

·
Registered
2 Posts
I use Royal Purple 5w 30. Hell I live in Chicago.. So Your 40 degrees.. OOOOOOOOO. LOL .. But Purple is great .
I've been using Castrol 5w30 and half quart Lucas. But i'm seriously thinking about going Royal Purple. I just bought some off Amazon for my 03 Torch Red Mach1 . 5qt jug for 37.79 and free 2 day shipping with amazon prime! My wifes TB has 102k miles on it. We will probably have it forever. I will be going with a purolater oil filter also. I heard it was a very good filter for the price.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
113 Posts
192 k now, using Rotella synthetic 5w-40 reasonable price at wally world, diesel oil with more detergent, car runs great still due to loyal maintenance and synthetic oil since new. 5w still help on cold starts, 40w helps with consumption (I hope)

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
5 Posts
Oil Weight

I have 136k on mine and have used 5w30 since we bought it with 24k. If your not burning oil, the 5w30 should be fine.

·
Registered
2007 gmc envoy_denali
3 Posts
You guys do know the W in say 5W-30 is the cold or winter weight right? So changing from 5W-30 to 10W-30 does nothing for the oil viscosity right? Just thicker at start up. If you want thicker oil go to a weight where the second number is 40. A 5W-40 if you can find it would work well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts