Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I'm new here and I'm about to ask a question I'm sure comes up a lot. My 30 year old suv needs over $1k in repairs to get it on the road again. My coworker is selling an 2006 tb for $1200. It has just over 200k miles. It has leather, so I'm assuming ltz. Seems like a good deal. I lent him a code reader because the CEL is on, but no issues other than that.

I'm going to look at it this weekend. Planning on putting it in 4wd to listen for noise, check the ventilation system. Might jack it up to check the front end, but I'm sure he would have already done this (him and his brother flip vehicles). Anything else i should check on this? Water pump?

Is 200k miles too much? I know inline 6s in the past go forever. Another co worker of mine had a 70s GMC truck with over 800k on its inline 6. Different engine from the 4.2 in the tb, but the ford 4.9L and the dodge slant 6 were also great engines.

Just don't want to buy another money pit.

Thanks

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
2,415 Posts
Would help if you knew what the fault code was, and why are these guys selling a vehicle with the check engine light on?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cel was for the evap canister. No light now.
Its an EXT. I was disappointed at first, but the large rear doors are going to make putting the 8m old in there super easy. 3rd row is going to be nice if we want to grab a couple of friends and head out for a hike or something. It has 20k miles more than i thought. Starts and runs ok. Has a slight ticking, i assume the exhaust manifold. A/C "needs a recharge". Going to throw my duracool kit on there, and I'm not sure if I'm hoping for pressure (pay a mechanic to recharge), or no pressure (i can fill, but system needs service). Rear window defroster cable is falling off. Rear washer hose has fallen off. Minor rust on the rear wheel wells. Looks like paint chipped off from gravel roads, and it started to rust.

She ain't perfect, but she'll clean up nice. And for the price...well, fuel savings will pay for the tb within 2 years.

Pictures to come in the next few days. Complaints some time after... lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts