Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just up graded my amp wire in my truck to 1/0 AWG for the power and the ground both cause I got a kicker 1800.1 and a kicker PKD1 DUAL amp wire set ... Well the amp before was only running 8 AWG the new amp has 1/0 wire connects on it .. my light dim now with this new setup so I was wondering if it was gonna require a bigger alternator for me to run this massive wire or what are my options ...

·
Registered
46 Posts
I run a 240 amp alternator with big 3 upgrade and AGM battery on 1200W RMS and I still get voltage drop the lights barely dim though…

I would start at upgrading to big 3 and see how much that helps which is bigger wiring battery ground to frame/engine ground to frame/and positive alternator to battery.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I run a 240 amp alternator with big 3 upgrade and AGM battery on 1200W RMS and I still get voltage drop the lights barely dim though…

I would start at upgrading to big 3 and see how much that helps which is bigger wiring battery ground to frame/engine ground to frame/and positive alternator to battery.
That's almost what I didn't want to hear already having spent $150 for the kicker PKD1 wire set and $422 for the kicker CXA1800.1 amp . Also got a kicker solo-Baric L7S 12" 2 ohm loaded sub $399.. with that being said I have it ran through a capacitor an just seen it pull the cap down to 9.9V and 157A draw when it's turned up .. but it usually stay up 14-15 volts also reads that on the dash ... It drops ranging from 35 A - 60A only drawing down to 11.2 which seems to be normal I guess for the power going to it ... I seen the BIG 3 setup and it's like $50 for the set but I don't think doing that will change the draw on the head and interior lights ...I thought of getting an XS battery for the back nxt to the amp before I did the 240 amp alt what do you think

·
Registered
46 Posts
Big 3 will definitely help just remember all that power is being sucked from the alternator and the stock wiring isn’t very sufficient. When you are running that much power you definitely need to reinforce the charging system, also XS battery is a good idea

If you are pulling 157A it’s going to kill the stock alternator not a matter of if but when….running setups like this gets expensive expensive especially meeting the power requirements 😊

Capacitors are only a bandaid as well they really don’t help much one good bass note will drain it and it can’t recharge fast enough to keep up

1 - 6 of 6 Posts