Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last week I replaced my radiator hoses. While waiting for the coolant to drain I was looking at connectors on the engine. I noticed one connector had oil on it.
I remove it and I notice that its full of oil. the little valley were it plugs into was full of oil- I used a Q-tip to clean it- and then used a vacuum to suck oil out of the connector.
I have not had any check engine lights. I even scanned it while draining the fluid. No engine troubles- and was still getting 18 MPG combined driving....
I figured that the oil sitting in there has accumulated over the past 134,000 miles..... it was not dripping.
So- this past week-- since the hoses were replaced.... I "THINK" I feel that the engine is more 'peppy'. Faster response......
BUT--- the previous week when I changed out the fuel pump/filter- I also disconnected battery and cleaned the throttle body... I didnt get an impression of the engine being 'peppy' then.
Just in the past few days-- have I felt that it 'seems' to respond better....
It may just be in my head.... the placebo effect where I think it works better because Ive done a few maintenance items in the last 1000 miles.
(trans filter change, fuel pump changed, external fuel filter changed, throttle body cleaned, battery disconnected 2 times, idler pulley changed, coolant changed, hoses changed, air filter rotated on its axis, new battery, and the cleaning of the connector in item #2 below)

The item is number 2 in the image below....

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
interesting...
No codes were set... so it appears that even with oil it was making electrical contact....

maybe the sense of better performance was all in my head.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
2,220 Posts
interesting...
No codes were set... so it appears that even with oil it was making electrical contact....

maybe the sense of better performance was all in my head.
I noticed mine seeping oil about 3 months after I bought it; that will be 7 years ago in January. I did buy a spare actuator on eBay several years ago (new) but I've never used it. I did make a gasket out of a piece of rubber sheet maybe 2mm thick and cut it the shape of the connector opening, then pressed it down on the electrical pins with the connector plug. The plug seated against my gasket tight and the oil seepage stopped. I remember I could clean it out real good and dry with degreaser spray and compressed air, come back after a while and oil would have seeped back up inside the connector around the pins.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
1,380 Posts
I had mine go out on me soon after buying my truck used and it was replaced under the 60 day warranty. You'll know when it craps out on you, the engine will cough and sputter like the timing is way off or a timing belt skipped a tooth. It could be the oil was "delaying" the signal to coordinate the timing of the cam and crank to some extent that it could be running either a little lean or rich. Just a theory, I could be completely wrong about it.:confused: It does seem weird that it didn't trigger the SES light, I can't seem to remember if mine came on or not.:duh:

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
seems like mine is like tblazed. leaking a bit but still works.
Ill check it again in a week or so to see at what rate its leaking. But I think its leaking very slowly.
I mean in 134,000 miles I barely noticed it now....

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
2,369 Posts
after taking a look at mine, there is so much dirt on it. i'm going to try cleaning it out tomorrow and see if it helps my hesitation problem...hopefully it will

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
There have been a few reports here of cam phaser actuator solenoid valves that failed and they set a DTC when they do and kill engine performance. These work in oil so a little bit won't hurt one, might even keep the electrical contacts from getting corroded! Some of the ones reported here that quit working were clogged up with sludge. I remember one guy took his out and cleaned all this thick greasy stuff from it (sludge), and I remember another one, one or more of the screens were missing from the oil ports. There's a TSB about missing screens. Some of those missing screens could get into places in the engine requiring engine replacement! Oil quality and proper viscosity is mentioned in the service manual to keep the cam phaser and actuator solenoid working properly.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
3,250 Posts
Does anybody know what the part # is for this? Where can I find one? Thanks!
I don't know the part #, but it's listed for $192 at GMPartsDirect.com

It's listed under "Engine-----> Camshaft & timing-----> Variable Valve timing----> Actuator assembly"

·
Registered
17 Posts

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
2,369 Posts
I think this is the part number:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts