Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, can someone tell me what the damaged boot here is called in my pic? Its the front-end and both wheels has the same type of damage/worn boot cover, 2003 Envoy XL. I noticed this while changing the oil. Just needing to figure out if its within my skill-set to attempt repair and such, thanks. Hopefully my pic link displays correctly, for some reasons I could not upload my pic as an attachment...thought, I did this before.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/d5Hbib3vQi3S5vlp2

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_lt
19 Posts
looks like a tie rod end or ball joint, I'm sure somone will give you the correct answer soon , there are somany parts on these things,good site to get answers though

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bottom ball joint mounted on the control arm. Im guessing drivers side from pic.
Thanks for the reply...did a quick search now this area/part has been identified. I don't think I want to take this project on myself. At least I know what to asked about when I inquire about this repair.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
17 Posts
Mystery Rubber Cover

That is the dust boot cover for the lower ball joint. Chances are the passenger side is probably the same. THe job of these rubber covers is to keep the grease from getting contaminated from water, dirt, road crap. You may need new ball joints. You can find videos on Youtube that will show you how to do the job. AWD and 4x4 are harder due to the front drive axles. Not an easy DIY project, but can be done.

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_lt
30 Posts
Yeah, that's a ball joint. You'll want to replace the whole ball joint and not just the boot. It's basically just a little ball-in-socket thing. If you're handy with a wrench, you can do it yourself, but it's definitely not a beginner job either.

One thing to note is that you really ought to get an alignment done (or at least checked - most places will check it for free) after you replace them. The ball joints connect your wheels to your suspension, so any change there can affect your alignment.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
17 Posts
WireDawg,

Here's a video on YouTube that shows how to replace the upper and lower ball joints on your TB/Envoy.

https://youtu.be/uPQGwEy7vcY

I just noticed that your original post is 2 years ago! I think you probably figured it out by now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts