Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently learned about hids and was woundering how they hook up to the tb and what is so special bout them?

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
328 Posts
First of all here is an article that explains how to install them in a TB. http://forums.trailvoy.com/articles.php?do=viewarticle&artid=104

Now as for why they are so special. I installed some a few months ago and honestly they are the best lights I have ever had. Before the HID's I had the SilverStar Ultras. They lit up the road pretty good but when I installed the HID's it was really like night and day. I could see farther and better than any other light. So IMO they are absolutely worth the money, and in most cases you can get some HID's for the same amount you would spend on SilverStar Ultra's

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok well i have look at that forum before but there is still one thing that i dont understand. What is the ballast and that wire that looks like a coaxe cable? where is it comeing from?

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
8,770 Posts
HID's give out up to three times as much lumens (light) as stock halogen lights. It depends on what kelvin (color) you choose. Pure white will produce the most output, and that's about 4300K. I have 6000K on mine. All the reflective signs shine from so far away and I can see much better at night. I never use my high beams anymore. The HID's hook up to the stock wiring. I hooked up my starter or ballast to my stock wiring to get a signal and the HID bulb to the ballast. I had to cut a small hole in the back of the headlight cover. Here's my thread...

http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=30281&highlight=HID

And the number one reason that i got HID's was because they just look awesome!!

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,113 Posts
IMO HIDs should be the first thing to do to any vehicle. HIDs are those obnoxious bright lights that poeple have that blind the crap outta you when you drive towards them...but there excellent from the drivers seat :thumbsup: High Intensity Discharge (hid) lights use a seperate ballast that can be bought as a plug and play(just click in and turn on) inside the HID bulb, instead of burnin your conventional halogen gas (reg stock headlights) they burn a xenon (pronounced zee-non) gas, causing a brighter intensity light. they are offered in a variety of colors/outputs...dont be fooled however, the higher the number the less light output...
General rundown
3500k- brightest output, pure yellow light, however, wil not reflect on reflectors(signs highway markers ect)
4000/4300k- brightest useable output. what you recieve on stock vehicle HID systems, such as lincoln navigators/escalades/lexus/acuras. pure white
6000k-slightly less output (still 3x output of halogen) very slight blue tint, on road way still appears white
8000k (on my tb) diamond blue- slightly less output than the6k headlight has a blue hue to it visually, however on road will appear similar to a hyper white
10000k deep blue less output than 8k but still over 2x the output over halogen
12000k purple just under 2x the amount of output over stock halogen
30000k pink same amount of output to that of a halogen bulb, but with a light pink color

most kits are available in plug in play systems. yu hook the stock wiring harness into the ballast. insert the bulb into the headlight, and plug the bulb into the ballast...as simple as changin a bulb :thumbsup: takes longer to get the grill off :duh:

allow about 10min burn time with initial warm up

anymore questions?:woot::woot:

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,121 Posts
HID stands for High Intensity Discharge.

Essentially, a much much brighter light output from a ballasted lamp system, like a xenon filled bulb setup as opposed to the filament style bulbs most commonly seen on vehicles today.

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
2,369 Posts
HID's are nice. brighter and whiter (depending on what temp you get).

WHAT I JUST NOTICED:

in the article that shows you how to install HID's, the last picture has a ford f-150 in the background, and there's a huge red x over the ford emblem on the tailgate!! LOL!

·
Southeast Chapter
2004 buick rainier
5,864 Posts
from reading your first post it sounds like you are confused on the instilation. the system is made up of a relay harenss to get power from the battery; balists to power the bulbs and thebulbs. the relay harness conects to the battery and has a plug to connect to the factory light harness off your truck to recieve the signal to power on the lights. the relay harness (that is attached to your battery) is then pluged into the ballists. (one for each side). the bulb is then connected to the ballists where it get's it power. it sounds kind of complicated but it is really not that hard. in the spring we are going to have a big meet down here in ATL and if you can make it out there are a lot of us that have installed HID's on our own trucks and would be glad to help you install them:thumbsup:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
from reading your first post it sounds like you are confused on the instilation. the system is made up of a relay harenss to get power from the battery; balists to power the bulbs and thebulbs. the relay harness conects to the battery and has a plug to connect to the factory light harness off your truck to recieve the signal to power on the lights. the relay harness (that is attached to your battery) is then pluged into the ballists. (one for each side). the bulb is then connected to the ballists where it get's it power. it sounds kind of complicated but it is really not that hard. in the spring we are going to have a big meet down here in ATL and if you can make it out there are a lot of us that have installed HID's on our own trucks and would be glad to help you install them:thumbsup:
thanks that help me i just didnt understand where that one wire was coming from. and i should be coming to the meet.:D

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
wheres the meet going to be and when and any other things i need to know bout the meet?

·
Southeast Chapter
2004 buick rainier
5,864 Posts
well we don't have many details yet; but basically it will be late april/early may and somewhere here in atlanta; on jan 24 we are having a mini meet to plan our big atl meet so there will be a lot more info then but if you want to suggest anything; dates or anything then fell free all imput is appreciated

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well we don't have many details yet; but basically it will be late april/early may and somewhere here in atlanta; on jan 24 we are having a mini meet to plan our big atl meet so there will be a lot more info then but if you want to suggest anything; dates or anything then fell free all imput is appreciated
ok that sounds good and yeah early may sounds good and its on the weekend right?but im looking foward to it a lot!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yeah it will be on a weekend; look forward to seeing you there; and if you have anymore questions about HID feel free to ask there are a lot of us on here with them and most people install themselves
ok i will do and thanks:thx

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have about decided to take the plunge into HID, I was going to just get some bulbs, but think I want to go HID.. and by installing them myself, I will know what to do should something go wrong.. I am thinking about waiting til the meet to install them so I can have some of you watch me and tell me if I f*** up, haha..

I have a question, Ive heard some say they mess up with DRL still activated and some say that they dont.. I want to keep my DRL.. Does the DRL mod also not let the headlights come on automatically when it gets dark enough? If the headlights will still come on automatically with the DRL mod then I might do it..

Which ones did some of you get? Ordered from a website or ebay?

·
Southeast Chapter
2004 buick rainier
5,864 Posts
I have about decided to take the plunge into HID, I was going to just get some bulbs, but think I want to go HID.. and by installing them myself, I will know what to do should something go wrong.. I am thinking about waiting til the meet to install them so I can have some of you watch me and tell me if I f*** up, haha..

I have a question, Ive heard some say they mess up with DRL still activated and some say that they dont.. I want to keep my DRL.. Does the DRL mod also not let the headlights come on automatically when it gets dark enough? If the headlights will still come on automatically with the DRL mod then I might do it..

Which ones did some of you get? Ordered from a website or ebay?
Kevin; the DRL's can mess up the HID's some a lot of members here do a DRL killer mod using a product made by member tblazed; this disables the DRL's while keeping the auto-on headlights but you loose perimeter lighting. The vendor on here 3bspec.com just put out a DRL module that is plug and play betweet the relay harness and the ballists that always powers the HID's at 100%; (unlike the DRL's that are only on at 70%); i got this kit for christmas and am looking forward to installing it; john (jsprewell) already has them on his envoy and he said this DRL module workes great

·
Registered
182 Posts
Kevin, thanks for the info.. What do u mean by perimter lighting? I am ok with losing the DRL, but I do not want to lose the auto-on lights at all, that is one of the coolest things I like about my TB, haha..

·
Southeast Chapter
2004 buick rainier
5,864 Posts
Kevin, thanks for the info.. What do u mean by perimter lighting? I am ok with losing the DRL, but I do not want to lose the auto-on lights at all, that is one of the coolest things I like about my TB, haha..
well with yours being an LS you might not have that option; but it is i guess an option selectable with the DIC (on my truck atleast) but it keeps the headlights and reverse lights lit for like 30 sec (i think) at night when you press the key fob to light in front and in back of the truck; perimeter lights:)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts